Peep sites for the S-308?

you can get a little weaver rail that attaches to the side rail, or replace your top cover with one that has the top weaver rail on it. then put on a aftermarket peeper . they will be better than the ones that replace the rear leaf site, you need this close to the eye.

The receiver cover type rails move around and shif zero - at least that is what I've read over and over - so I assume it to be the case. Makes sense - the cover is just a loose fit held-on by spring tension. Very adequate for a cover, not good for a sight. I would stick with the rail based scope mount and aperture sight that mounts on it.

I agree with the need to get the aperture/peep near your eye - they don't work as well too far from the eye.

The receiver cover type rails move around and shif zero - at least that is what I've read over and over - so I assume it to be the case. Makes sense - the cover is just a loose fit held-on by spring tension. Very adequate for a cover, not good for a sight. I would stick with the rail based scope mount and aperture sight that mounts on it.

I agree with the need to get the aperture/peep near your eye - they don't work as well too far from the eye.

you are right and wrong here, yes the top cover one will move around. but what are we really trying to do with a peeper? I would say , we are not target or sill shooting, we are shooting inside 200 yds. what we want with a peeper on a weapon like this, is fast, both eye target aquire, fast follow up , more acc than the factory sights, type shooting. you will achieve this, even with the top cover weaver type rail. but you are right, if some dude waive a magic wand , and both types appeared on a table in front of me, i would go with the rail mount.