Hi all

i am after a reasonably prices rifle scope with a reasonably high magnification and have been thinking of importing an Nc Star rifle scope, the one i am interested in is a mil-dot Leopold replica such as in the link below:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-24x50-MIL-DOT-RIFL...1QQcmdZViewItem

i would be using this scope on a 7.62x54r rifle and was hopeing you guys may have some experience of these brand scopes or maybe even this exact one and can let me know if they are worth buying, i have heard differing reports and some say image quality is bad......................................so im here to ask you guys

thanks in advance

assassin

My buddy has one NC star on one of his AR15's. It seems to be decent.

Personally... for similar money, I would spend it on a Barska... or a BSA... Probably not too much difference in the long run... but I currently own 4 Barska optics... a 6-24X42 ($60.00) and a 6-24X50 ($80.00)on my 2 AR-15's, a 4X ($25.00) on one of my Ruger 10/22's and a 10-40X50 ($280.00) on my .50 BMG... all are exceptionally clear!!

Having looked through $1000.00 Leupold custom optics... Yeah.. the Barskas are so close you would be hard pressed to tell the difference!!!

I have BSA Platinum 8-32X optic on my Savage .204 ruger, and a 6-24X contender on my .17HMR, and a Shotgun scope on my Mossberg 500... all of those are decent... but I prefer the Barska clarity to the BSA clarity...

That all said... I would spend the similar money on a Barska... I think you will get your moneys worth. :up:

:smoke:

Hi Indy

Thats interesting as i have also been looking at Barska, i would rather buy Barska if i can get them for the prices that you pay, could you give me a link to a site that sells them for a good price and will export to U.K?

thanks

assassin

I cant help you there... I got 3 of mine at the local Gander Mountain. Although the one on my .50 BMG I got from "The Sportsmans guide". They carry many styles but I dont know if they will ship to UK...

Barska is a chinese made optic. I am suprised you dont have them there... Check EBAY?

Sorry, bro... cant help with that, really...

:smoke:

I have a rubberised 4X on my AR15 that works just fine, but it isnt under recoil like a bigger round or different action type would have, so I cant really say anything other than mine doesnt absorb water when Im out in a downpour shooting, it doesnt fog when the temperature changes, and it does seem to hold its zero halfway decently. you should be able to find them on ebay, like indy said. I paid I dont even know now, 40 bucks for mine? suits my needs just fine.

Ive had some bad experiences with cheap optics, on the other hand, like the interiors unseating and then on top of it, you cant get the thing open to fix it, as well as other things like fogging or not even GETTING zero and other b.s. which have earned a few of my cheap optics thier rightful place on the target line.

I don't know how much you are looking to spend, but if possible, I would spend a little more and get something like a Burris Full Field II, Buckmaster, Muller Optics. Some times the cheap scopes that are made in Russia, and Japan are not bad, but generally any that are made in China are the lowest quality. Nc Star is poor quality.

Edited: I just noticed that Mueller Optics does not ship outside of the US. That is the reason that I did not recomend the Super Sniper, as SWfA does not ship the SS outside the US either. Sorry.

Edited by cscharlie

Here's a link to an optics forum. There's a lot of good info there. Also you can find some decent deals on good quality scope on the Dealers sample list at times. Some of the folks on the forum are gear snobs. They consider long range engagments 1000 to 2000 meters. That tends to take some high end stuff. There are also some guys there that are regular Joes that can give good advise on getting lower priced stuff that is not junk. www.opticstalk.com

Wish ya the best, cs