Saiga and Bushmaster

There's quite a bit of difference from a Bushmaster at $800 and up, compared to a Saiga at $225.

What would be the benefit (s) of purchasing the Bushmaster?

I've read a number of posts on this message board and I'm hearing a number of satisfied Saiga owners "singing" the praises of the accuracy of their rifles. 1" M.O.A. with bulk ammo is very attainable with a Saiga, from what I've read.

I'm getting ready to make a purchase of an AR in .223, but don't want to have any regrets, if that's possible. Hind sight being what it is and all. This weapon will be used for coyotes and groundhogs and the shots will be inside 300 yards. In most cases, my shots are 75 to 180 yards.

Your opinions and experience is appreciated.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

AR pluses:

20" bbls are common competition guns.

zero recoil

crazy amounts of aftermarket parts

tack driving capability out to range

saiga pluses:

cheap

some (not all) ak parts will work on it

oh, yeh, and they are cheap too, in case i didnt mention that part

I somehow doubt that you can take groundhogs or prarie dogs out at the 200 yard marker any kind of consistantly with an AK-type. That is one tiny area to hit at that distance. In YOUR case, I KNOW an AR is your best choice.

Edited by Bvamp

Have you guys seen these things? I think for the money that you'd spend on a ar - these LOOK like the superior gun although robinson arms sells them for $1300.00

what'ya think?

I guess that stoner (AR inventor) guy also invented this gun as well - you can get all the facts at robinson arms website. they look real cool - and if you've got the money for an ar why not spend a few extra....................

I guess they break down a lot simpler too.

post-22-1086109826.jpg

Edited by Siagalova

Siagalova,

Good looking weapon, but it's "over the rainbow" on the price tag.

I've been looking at D.P.M.S., Armalite, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms and Olympic Arms. Quality weapons, all of them, but I'm going to have to take a close look to get the best bang for the buck.

Nothing wrong with the Saiga .223, but I don't want to purchase one and wished that I'd purchase one of the above mention rifles. Hind sight being what it is and all. :rolleyes:

Just trying to make a decent decision without having regrets later.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Bowhunter, also look into the Eagle Arms M15A2....some are chromed, some arent. mine isnt chromed and I dont have problems with jams or whatever, but then again, I dont fire it in combat. For what you are doing, go for something with 20" barrel. MAYBE consider a flattop receiver as well. My carry handle optics mounts all need to be shimmed to get true zero on my scopes. A saiga 223 is a good weapon and all, but i think that if you dont have any semi auto weapons already, and you plan to regularly shoot at things that only leave you with an ich of error at 200 yards, you want something a little better made. I dont think you will have any regrets with a good 20" AR. Get a Saiga 12 gauge if you want a saiga that bad. One of the coolest and funnest guns ive ever seen, shot, owned, whatever.