Toxic Wrapping Paper?

Just got my 1st Saiga-12 and I noticed the (4 languages) warning to "incinerate" the packing "inhibitor" paper. The manual said it should be incinerated, as it is toxic. What's it got in it? BB

Probably arsenic.

Just got my 1st Saiga-12 and I noticed the (4 languages) warning to "incinerate" the packing "inhibitor" paper. The manual said it should be incinerated, as it is toxic. What's it got in it? BB

Probably arsenic.

So does that mean I shouldn't have wrapped the kids sandwiches in it?

Actually the instructions say "annihilate", not incinerate. My son and I have laughed at this and other translations for a long time. This is a prime example of what is called Engrish. Do a Yahoo search on engrish and you will laugh your ass off at a collection of screwed up translations. Its merely a translation of English were the translator who does not know English well, picks a word that has a similiar meaning but it is not the correct one to use. I believe in this case the translator looked up the Russian word and the translation said something like, To annihilate or destroy. Well they probably should have used the word (destroy),since it makes more sense in the USA.

One pellet soft gun warning says,Never disassemble the gun yourself, which will cause the trouble and the dangerous. LOL

Ace

Added links

http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagenam...date=2002-10-08

http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagenam...date=2005-11-19

http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagenam...date=2005-01-06

http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagenam...date=2002-06-17

Edited by acetomatoco

Actually the instructions say "annihilate", not incinerate. My son and I have laughed at this and other translations for a long time.

Thanks for responses. Actually, it says both at different places. "Annihilate" on the 1 page "flyer" in the box and "incinerate" in the actual green manual

post-3568-1153024812_thumb.jpg

The thought it might be arsenic is a bit disconcerting. Makes me wonder if the manuals have absorbed vapors from the packing paper. I did use surgical gloves when I first unwrapped it. Maybe I should use them (again) till I've disassembled it and removed all the packing anti-corrosives. BillyBob

Actually the instructions say "annihilate", not incinerate. My son and I have laughed at this and other translations for a long time.

Thanks for responses. Actually, it says both at different places. "Annihilate" on the 1 page "flyer" in the box and "incinerate" in the actual green manual

The thought it might be arsenic is a bit disconcerting. Makes me wonder if the manuals have absorbed vapors from the packing paper. I did use surgical gloves when I first unwrapped it. Maybe I should use them (again) till I've disassembled it and removed all the packing anti-corrosives. BillyBob

I belive the paper is treated with some kind of petrolium based produce to prevent rust.....in other words....its just oily paper.

I belive the paper is treated with some kind of petrolium based produce to prevent rust.....in other words....its just oily paper.

You're probably right. I know they used to treat some paper with arsenic for rat defense I think. On a sidenote I had some grease ooze out of the flashider locking pin on a WASR that was friggin corrosive as hell. I got some under my thumbnail when pressing on it and it burned like hell. I could still feel the burn a couple of days later. I degreased the gun and relubed it with some tri-flow. I just hope it wasn't radioactive.

• 4 years later...

I got my saiga 12 today; it was wrapped in black paper but I didn't see any warnings on it!

I just now read about this "arsenic" paper problem; granted I threw it away and washed my hands immediately, but I worry b/c I opened the rifle box on a bed and I have two small children.

Is this still an issue with current shotguns? Like I said, I didn't see any such warnings on the box!

You would have to eat the paper, or maintain skin contact for an extended time to have any adverse effects.Rust resistant paper wrapping is designer to out gas slowly, providing a moisture repelling atmosphere for the gun, to stop corrosion during shipment and storage.