well, even still, UU is something I didnt have when I started. UU can also be used to do something OTHER than assemble pictures from ascii code, btw.

I gave up doing the network admin thing. because of people's high school back stabbing attitudes, mainly. a few other reasons, but that was the main one. Ive had people try to talk me back into the industry because of my knowledge of the old mainframes and tolken rings.

I dont have a need anymore for any of the *nix. besides, they are highly limited in what you can do with them, sort of like buying a mac. its good for a few things, rules for one or two, but otherwise, toss it thanks, Ill use what the rest of the planet and software uses. :)

id hate to try assembler on these newer intel things. it was getting pretty complicated with the 90,000 different cpus and architectures that were out when I still wrote the stuff.

I like how you *nix guys are. always a pleasure listening to you talk down to the rest of the computing world :) I guess that is why I used to love sitting there on a modem when someone from a unix box was telling me they owned me, when all I had to do to not be packeted off the internet was ping myself or even better, change my arp table a little bit (preferrably to mimic the sender's). but its ok, ill take the GUI, the slow connect, and just go do my own thing. I have all the software Ill ever need, and update and buy what i use, for the most part, and I really am not missing any of the rest.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grimm is the crazy Doberman/Rotty mix pictured in my avatar. That was him with muzzle in my hand as we said goodbye moments before putting him down. After my father passed when I was 9, my mother bro

Mine is simply the name I have given my S12 when the shit hits the fan misery is what I will bring

Posted Images

Not to talk down to Windows users, but there are some things that Linux/Unix does better, IMHO:

!) First off, you almost never have to f**k with it defragging and maintenance shit like that after installing it. Windows is a sloppy platform with how with how it tosses stuff willy-nilly around the H.D. I know some guy who bragged he installed Linux 15 years ago, never touched it once in all that time, and it's still as fast and responsive to him as the first day he installed it.

2) Virtually no viruses (and spyware I'm aware of) written for the Linux/Unix platform. There was some kind of "Ramen" virus a few years back that that affected the Linux print spooler (if I remember correctly? :unsure: ), but virtually nothing new out there since then.

3) And my big one. It seems Unix/Linux doesn't greet you with 30+ Megs. of patches and bug fixes that you should download when you first log on :angry: . That's the thing I hate the most about Micro$oft brand products (code the shit correctly the first time before you distribute it so the end user doesn't have to play software engineer).

Funny thing is I still have a Windows partition on my computer that I use frequently while the Linux one sits (thanks to friggin lousy Sony VAIO architecture for that last one :angry: ).

Edited by Gaddis
  • 2 months later...
Though the last couple pages were waaaaay off, this was a good thread. BTT for the noobs and those slow to respond.

Totally agree! Had USpride not made a reply post here, I likely never would have happened across this thread... and enjoyed reading and learning about what most of you think. KUDOS! :up:

BlenderWizard - just one of many observations I've made about myself. about 3 years ago, for our wedding, my wife and i got a blender. I startedmaking all kinds of things in it, and they were GOOD! So, one day, i was thinking to myself "I am a blender wizard." Henceforth, BlenderWizard.

Other such names include SimilarToilets. Years ago, i was using my roommate's bathroom, and thought to myself, "Boy, we sure do have similar toilets." I used that name for a year or so, but BW has really stuck with me.

Edited by BlenderWizard

Wow... this post is a surprise to me too (and I thought I spent too much time on the internet)!

Well... my name is Micah and I like to skateboard... 360's and shit ya know! I started in the 6th grade, and have been skating off and on since (and it's still as fun now as it was then). At 32, hopefully I still have a few more years left in me. All I skate now are the bowls / halfpipes along with all the other "old schoolers". It's a rush... comparable to bump firing a 30 rounder into a fresh tv set!

BlenderWizard - just one of many observations I've made about myself. about 3 years ago, for our wedding, my wife and i got a blender. I startedmaking all kinds of things in it, and they were GOOD! So, one day, i was thinking to myself "I am a blender wizard." Henceforth, BlenderWizard.

Other such names include SimilarToilets. Years ago, i was using my roommate's bathroom, and thought to myself, "Boy, we sure do have similar toilets." I used that name for a year or so, but BW has really stuck with me.

Hello, BlenderWizard

Ever tried the "Bass-O-Matic", as seen on SNL w/Chevy Chase? (back when he was actually funny)

That was a classic skit....

Guido2 in Houston

BW have you tried the cell phones in the blender yet? That looks like fun! I really wanted to see the crowbar though.

Yeah Micah, pipes and bowls are fun! Ummm...wait that didn't come out right...quarterpipes, halfpipes, and sakateparks...yeah! that's better! I used to spend all my time getting banged up and skint up on those babies. Did some boarding but even more freestyle BMX. I used to catch some mean air. Broke a Mongoose and two Hutch's in half and was unconcious several times. Once I was alone and woke up in a tangled mess with by crossbar pinching my front tire all the way to the rim...lol. Don't know how long I was out. Not too good...lol. We didn't wear helmets back in those days. I was pretty famous at the skatepark for my bowl to bowl 360's, just gotta remember to sit the damn thing back down on the wall face before you slam into the bottom...ouch!

Yeah Micah, pipes and bowls are fun! Ummm...wait that didn't come out right...quarterpipes, halfpipes, and sakateparks...yeah! that's better! I used to spend all my time getting banged up and skint up on those babies. Did some boarding but even more freestyle BMX. I used to catch some mean air. Broke a Mongoose and two Hutch's in half and was unconcious several times. Once I was alone and woke up in a tangled mess with by crossbar pinching my front tire all the way to the rim...lol. Don't know how long I was out. Not too good...lol. We didn't wear helmets back in those days. I was pretty famous at the skatepark for my bowl to bowl 360's, just gotta remember to sit the damn thing back down on the wall face before you slam into the bottom...ouch!

:lolol::smoke:

Bikes scare me... too much protruding metal to get impaled on.

Yeah... I've been knocked out once. Pretty intense. I wore a helmet after that for awhile but never hit my head again... so I stopped wearing it (knock on wood).

Hello, BlenderWizard

Ever tried the "Bass-O-Matic", as seen on SNL w/Chevy Chase? (back when he was actually funny)

That was a classic skit....

Guido2 in Houston

Someone mention Bass-o-matic......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Op3OPItH0

I was feeling quilty about having to punish one of the kids. You know, "it hurts me more than it hurts them", kinda thing. Anyway one of my friends said to me in a sacastic way, "Yeah right, you're a really Bad man", so it stuck and it's been my screen name for about 10 years now. I use this handle on about a dozen different gun forums. B)

my story is pretty weak...

when a was but a wee lil' man, i played Counterstrike and went paintballing. in either game, i always ended up rushing like a madman (while strangely still scoring plenty of kills in both). anyway, everyone thought i was suicidal, since i'd always rush in first and try about anything that could get me some kills.

one day some non-english speaker said i was suaside. people started to call me that (in part to make fun of the other guys inability to spell suicide). first i used SuaSide, but "SS" had a pretty bad undertone imo, so i switched to SuAside. ;)

after enough time had past, most of my friends called me sua or swa ("swa" happens to be a very old dutch name that no one actually uses today, and it appears to belong exclusively to potbellied old farts).

hence the nick today (it'd also be kinda hard to be taken seriously on a weaponsforum with SuAside as a nick :P).

"Brain3278" - I got the nickname Brain from my friends because my Caller ID would show up as "Brain Smith". My roommates name was "Brian Smith" and the phone was in his name. So it was just a joke that ended up sticking! The "3278" is just from an old address I used to live at.

So I'm not named Brain because I'm smart!

dinosaur.jpg

But because "I'm Taking over the World!!!"

Had this nickname for 20 years. Given to me by a school teacher and it stuck.

Some places it's bsquir or bsy_sqrl but any seems like any email address starting with busy_squirrel@xxx.xxx or any forum member with that name is me. Guess I been using this name online for over about 15 years now, so it's probably in all sorts of places.

• 1 month later...

An old girlfriend.....wait let me start over....a girlfriend from back in the day called me hose monster and when I finally got online, I shortened it to hoser. I know it means some kind of loser up north but ....well, whatever. I've thought about changing it to Dano or something but never got around to it...............

My screen name here is self explanitory. My AOL Sn is Racegal15 because that used to be Mikey's number. My other SN is my last name. It's Russian. No one wants to even try to pronounce it. I'm never Ms. Koliadko. I'm Cassandra. Easier to pronounce, I suppose.

As I browse the forum, I can't help noticing the creative screennames...some are obvious (like mine for instance, my actual name), but others, not so much.

So, what does yours mean?

Mine indicates where I come from: up in a West Va. Hollow

It means a bunch of stuff to me:

1) Specifically, the name of the picture I use as my avatar (the Czechoslovakian Soviet Republic Coat of Arms.)

2) A geeky reference to the Resident Evil videogame series, in which the Red-9 was the name for the Mauser broomhandle pistol, (kind of like making a BFG reference.) :killer:

3) The Mauser reference is a throwback to a band i had back in the day, Schnauzer with a Mauser, whose logo featured a schnauzer carrying a "Red-9".

-The Schnauzer name, aside from simply being funny 'cause it rhymed, was itself a reference to my Leon Trotsky/Colonel Sanders/Don Quixote mustache+goatee combo (which, along with my big nose, made me look kinda like a schnauzer.) :lol: I was either going to do an album name, or simply rename the band, to Red-9 with the Soviet-style logo, but (as often happens) it all simply dissolved.

595594590_l.jpg

-The actual name Red-9 refers to the Mauser broomhandle. During WWI, the Imperial Army contracted Mauser for 150,000 C96 pistols, chambered for the 9 mm Parabellum. This variant was named the "Red 9" after a large number "9" burned and painted in red into the grip panels, to prevent the pistols' users from loading them with 7.63 mm ammunition by mistake.

1131018026_l.gif

Azrial or it's alternative and more common spelling Azriel

Azrael (in standard Arabic transliteration it is Ezra'il or Ezra'eil عزرائیل) is typically known as one of the names of the angel of death, and is an English form of the Arabic name Ezra'il or Ezra'eil, the name traditionally attributed to the angel of death in Islam, although the Qur'an never uses this name, usually using instead Malak al-Maut (which is a direct translation of angel of death). It is also spelled Izrail, Izrael, Azrail, and Azrial. In standard Arabic transliteration it is `Ezra'il or `Ezra'eil. The name literally means whom God helps.

No, I am not a Muslim, I used to work with a group that all had angelic callsigns. I have used it as a netname for years. He is also a character in one of my favorite author's books. Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny.

The term juggernaut is used to describe any literal or metaphorical force regarded as unstoppable that will crush all in its path. In Britain, it is also used to refer to any large and heavy lorry.

The word is derived from the Sanskrit Jagannātha, meaning "Lord of the universe"; it is one of the many names of Krishna from the ancient Vedic scriptures of India. One of the most famous of Indian temples is the Jagannath Temple in Puri, Orissa, which has the Ratha Yatra (chariot procession), an annual procession of chariots carrying the murtis/statues of Jagannâth (Lord Krishna), Subhadra and Baladeva (Krishna's elder brother). During the British colonial era, Christian missionaries promulgated a myth that Hindu devotees of Krishna were lunatic fanatics who threw themselves under the wheels of these chariots in order to attain salvation. Such a description can also be found in the popular fourteenth-century work "The Travels of Sir John Mandeville." The fact is that devotees have sometimes been crushed accidentally in the past as the massive 45 foot tall, multi-ton chariot slipped out of control. Many have also been killed in the resulting stampedes. The sight led the Britons to use the word "Juggernaut" to refer to other instances of unstoppable, crushing forces.

In modern times, the government officers and temple priests managing the festival take elaborate precautions to protect people from injury during these processions.

It is also the name of my screen print shop!

Edit: Bit it mostly means,

"Aethelbert" is an old Saxon tribal name and was the name of one of my ancestors. Usually pronounced "Ethel-burt", it is more correctly (for those who speak Saxon or 'Olde English') pronounced "AY-tul-bairht" and means "Noble or Princely Sword". Kinda goofy today, I know, but there you have it...

And while I've never used a firearm to discourage a would-be burglar, I did once use a short sword so I figure that "Aethelbert" or "Noble Sword" -- actually referring to the sword I used at the time -- was a half-way appropriate 'handle'.

Edited by Aethelbert
Well, bigj is my nickname (first name is johnny) and 480 is for the voltage I commonly work with, I'm a Union electrician down here in Tejas. I'm shocked :) that there is another union electrician on here, but in NY everybody is Union.

That would be me, brother. IBEW Local 3 NYC "A" construction division Midtown Manhattan area. Sadly though, as of the last meeting, construction in the city has gone down to 65% Union-35% non-union. Contract discussions are in progress with mentions of a general strike being floated around. :unsure:

Anyway, HudsonValleyMilitia representing...

I love to juggle! At one time in my life I would try to juggle anything and everything that I could put my hands on. Chairs, milk crates, bags of flour, toaster ovens, hatchets, fire....hatchets on fire....you get the idea. Now days I just like to play with my balls (save it! I've heard it all before) :rolleyes: Bet I could juggle an S12, a mag, and a shell. It might make a good commercial for something.