Mercury Recoil Reducer

I got an 11oz, 5"x0.75" mercury recoil reducer from http://www.98.net/chr/recoil.htm and shot 80 slugs with it: 40 on gas setting 2 and 40 on gas setting 1. I did not do a head-to-head comparison, where i shot one with, then one without the recoil reducer, so I don't want to mis-lead anyone. My comparison is with what I remember of the last time I shot ~50slugs without the reducer.

1) Without the reducer the gun kicked up and back, with the reducer I felt it kicked more strait back. This allows for a faster follow up shot as it wasn't taking my aim up and off the target, it just kinda threw me back a bit.

2) The gun now has a very different balance with 0.75lbs tacked on to the ass of the stock, and I honestly like the new weight distribution much better as it seems much more balanced and nimble since it's not totally front heavy anymore.

3) At one point I shot 14 or 15 slugs as fast as I could (~2s) and only around the 10th did i actually get knocked all the way out of my shooters stance. It wasn't a perfect stance, and I'm not used to dealing with that rapid a recoil so call me a baby if you want. However, without the recoil reducer when I went through 5 rounds as fast as I could it would knock me about as far off balance.

4) My shoulder still feels like tenderized meat even with the reducer. It's not quite as sore as after the 50slugs without the reducer, but if you read any of the crap that says "it cut my 12ga recoil down to that of a .22", punch the person that said it in the face for being a total liar. It does reduce recoil but I would guess only by about 25%.

So is it worth the $55? That's for each person to figure out on their own. If you're just looking for recoil reduction, I would not say this is worth $55, but if you want to reduce muzzle climb, improve gun balance, and reduce recoil a little bit then it's definately worth the money.

Hope this helps. I'll try to do a head to head comparison on my 12ga when I get it set-up.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi AegisDei,

What type of stock do you have and where did you mount the recoil reducer?

I have a Saiga 12 with an ACE M4 Socom stock and pistol grip, and I think I could add some weight into the tube to reduce the front-heavy feel of the shotgun.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Surfmaster-

I LOVE the M4 stock and it ought lend itself well to a mercury recoil reducer (MRR). I believe there's a hole for the buffer spring for the original AR application but with an Ak you're not using the spring anymore so it's the perfect place for a mercury recoil reducer. This will greatly improve the front-heavy balance and it will reduce some recoil. The extra stock you see in the following pictures is going in my S12 and it will have a MRR as well.

The MRR is supposed to fit very tightly wherever you put it, but don't make it too tight like I did!!! If your hole is too small then glue some sandpaper to a dowel and chuck it up in your drill and enlarge the hole a bit. You can order MRRs in a few different diameters, so get whichever size is best for you.

post-1804-1155131989_thumb.jpg

Here's the hole that the MRR went into. Unfortunately, it's a 0.73" hole and the MRR was 0.75".

post-1804-1155132027.jpg

Here's the MRR pounded into the hole. When I pounded it in I was hoping it'd scrape out some plastic and fit snug, but instead the plastic just bowed outwards making the stock unadjustable. So I had to remove the stock and grind down the part that the stock slides over. That's why I suggest enlarging the hole you're mounting it in.

post-1804-1155132051_thumb.jpg

Regular stock and MRR+stock.

• 2 weeks later...

When the AR stock conversions first hit for the 870, I considered doing the same thing with an 870 for my slug gun. I never did that due to the fact I bought a Knoxx folding stock instead.

But it is cool to see this done. I thought it would work. You may want to seriously consider having the barrel backbored and ported. Backboring will help to reduce recoil and proper porting will reduce muzzle rise. Then we could see what A totally tricked out Saiga shoots like with all the recoil tricks on it.

I wonder if Tony R. does any of this kind of barrel work now? It seems he would be the logical place to start.

When the AR stock conversions first hit for the 870, I considered doing the same thing with an 870 for my slug gun. I never did that due to the fact I bought a Knoxx folding stock instead.

But it is cool to see this done. I thought it would work. You may want to seriously consider having the barrel backbored and ported. Backboring will help to reduce recoil and proper porting will reduce muzzle rise. Then we could see what A totally tricked out Saiga shoots like with all the recoil tricks on it.

I wonder if Tony R. does any of this kind of barrel work now? It seems he would be the logical place to start.

Hrm...interesting to consider...from my understanding backboring is only to improve balance. If I'm not mistaken it removes weight in the front of the gun which might actually increase muzzle rise. If anything I wish I had left my S20 about 2" longer...then I'd not have as much issue with cycling, recoil would be lighter (longer to build pressure so impulse would be reduced), and it'd add additional weight to the front of the gun which would increase the torque and thus reduce muzzle rise.

Porting wouldn't be a bad bet, but with the cycling issues I'm already having with the short barrel I don't think i could easily get away with it. I could always open the gas ports up even more than they are now, but it'd get to the point of diminishing returns. I may be able to port the barrel to reduce muzzle rise, but with larger ports I'd think there'd be more felt recoil.

I could be wrong on this...I'm unfortunately not an expert by any means. However, wait til I finish my next S12...it'll have a BIG muzzle brake, it will be longer, and it will have the mercury recoil reducer. I'm hoping that it kicks like a baby.