I'm a new member here.

Hey, guys. I am a police officer in Florida and I just recently purchased a Saiga 12C from Kalashnikov USA. It's a cool gun and I took it out to the non-law enforcement "action shotgun" match that the local range does every Thursday. It was a big hit with the other guys there and it was a lot of fun to shoot although one of the 8-round mags was a lemon. I shipped it back to Kalashnikov USA for a replacement. I ordered a TACM III weaponlight for it and will be installing that soon. When I get the money saved, I hope to install a laser with pressure pad.

I have read a lot of your posts about "assault weapons" and such. From what I know, I don't see why a thumbhole stock would be a problem on a Saiga 12. I was suprised that they weren't being imported like that. I guess Saiga configured them the way they did as to not draw attention to themselves by importing a "scary" looking shotgun.

As far as the 8-round magazine thing (the magazines actually work just as well with 9 rounds in them, so that's usually how I load them), the language of the "assault weapons" ban sounds to me like civilians should be able to own detatchable mags of a capacity up to ten (more than that would meet the "high capacity magazines" criteria of the ban). For some reason, however, my 8-rounders are stamped "LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY". Funny thing, though, the stamp is painted on, not chisled into the plastic. Could this be a clue that thousands of unstamped 8-rounders are waiting, ready to flood the market as soon as the ban sunsets?

As for the restrictions on the AW ban shotguns, the same thing applies to them that does on a rifle.

From: http://www.gunnerynetwork.com/assault_weap...-ban-facts.html

The law defines firearms as "assault weapons" by one or both of two methods: name and description. [18 U.S.C. 921(a)(30)]. All told, the law affects more than 175 semi-automatic rifles, pistols and shotguns and revolving cylinder shotguns a cross-section of firearms of various sizes, shapes, and calibers/gauges. Under the law, the term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means:

any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as: Norinco, Mitchell, Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); Action Arms I.M.I. UZI and Galil; Beretta AR-70 (SC70); Colt AR-15; Fabrique Nationale FN-FAL/LAR, and FNC; SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; Steyr AUG; Intratec TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and TEC-22; and revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

a semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

1) a folding or telescoping stock;

2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

3) a fixed magazine in excess of five rounds;

4) and an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

So without the pistol grip, you can have the 8 round mags without restriction. In order to put a pistol grip on an un-restricted shotgun (meaning LEO/dealers sample), you must add 10 US made parts, just like on the rifles. I think the reason wholesalers wont sell mags to the public is the confusion over the 5rd mag thing. But as you can clearly see, that applies to FIXED magazines.

I have seen them come out on individual pieces and rule them that way, but not a blanket ruling. Hell, they are the damned fools that wanted a thumbhole stock, now since things are not going their way they want to change it to include the thumbhole as a pistol grip TOO? Screw them. I will have my FFL until the ban runs out, I'll just stamp them all LEO/dealer samples and they can piss off.

Edited by PvtPyle
  • 5 years later...

damn M, was that your first post here?

Ah,, BBS rule i tell ya.

did you tell the rest about the soccer mom you were pretending to be, and caused the first shitstorm here!

LOL

damn cops i tell ya!