I've got a Century G3 sporter. It's later production and up to now I've never had a problem with it. (that's why I've kept it, I heard about their rep and figured I got lucky).

But, when I was out shooting the other day, I began experiencing failures to eject. I noticed that the primers were completly blown out of the pocket, sometimes floating around in the chamber. I was using some cheap surp ammo. I loaded up a mag with some Federal ammo and zipped through it without a hitch, but the surplus ammo continued to be finicky.

But, I had no problems whatsoever when using the same ammo in the Saiga.

So, do y'all think the problem is with the rifle (picky about ammo? some other issue?) or is it just the fault of the ammo? Anything in particular I should check for?

Had some surplus ammo from Europe somewhere. Looked good, nice and shiny. Chrongraphed from 2200 to 2900 fps from an 18 inch barrel. Some were way overloaded. Its probably the ammo. I wouldnt shoot anymore of in in your gun. Best to break it down for the components.

• 1 month later...

On a serious note, you might also want to check "firing pin protrusion". If the pin is too long, it can puncture primers more easily. Where it may not make a difference in something with a heavy primer, it could make a lot of difference when shooting ammo with softer primers. It's unlikely that your firing pin is getting stuck in the forward position (because it is spring loaded), but it is also something you could check.

As a side note, I'v noticed that anytime I eject an unfired round from my cetme it always has a small mark from the firing pin.

Edited by Tokageko
<imitation of retards at cetme-rifle.com>

OH NO! YOU USED COMMERCIAL AMMO!!!!

DON'T YOU KNOW THAT'S DANGEROUS?!?!?!

NEVER DO IT AGAIN!! YOU COULD BLOW YOURSELF UP!!!!

</imitation of retards at cetme-rifle.com>

You forgot

NEVER SHOOT INDIAN AMMO!

The guys at cetme-rifle.com are the best source of info there is period, just like this place being the best

for Saigas.

If your ammo was real cheap then you might want to make sure it isn't Indian.

If your doing fine with Federal then there's something wrong with your surplus stuff.

Good luck.

My experience with Indian ammo is that it's less accurate than most surplus (if you buy it in ten round plastic bags), and a little dirtier. All of the complaints I've heard about it to date stem from a bullet getting lodged in the bore (for whatever reason) and someone pulling the trigger again without noticing.

One of those rules of gun safety that should always be followed is: "If the report of your weapon sounds different than normal: stop, unload, and check the bore."

Most of those who have had problems fall into that category.

That rule is also the reason that I consider "bump firing" to be an unsafe practice (it prevents you from following the aforementioned rule). The other one I'd like to take on is the idea that using laquered steel case ammo in the CETME/HK 91 is a bad idea. These weapons were designed to be used with laquered steel case ammo. Only those who don't properly clean their rifles' chambers have any porblems with this.

.... and in case it wasn't abundantly clear, I was being sarcastic in my post regarding commercial ammo.