Pictures of my Sagia 12C and AK-101...

The 12C's came with the folders directly from the Molot arsenal... the AK-101 was a custom build by Arsenal USA...

Molot? All the -12Cs in this country were built and imported prior to the takeover of Molot by Izhmash, and yours clearly bear the Izhmash logo.

What's the story on the -101 build? Arsenal USA receiver, K-VAR .223 barrel and bolt? My -101 is also an Arsenal USA job, but is one of the Saiga .223 conversions they did during the AWB years, rather than a parts-kit build. I love it!

Edited by shooter2

The 12C's came with the folders directly from the Molot arsenal... the AK-101 was a custom build by Arsenal USA...

Molot? All the -12Cs in this country were built and imported prior to the takeover of Molot by Izhmash, and yours clearly bear the Izhmash logo.

What's the story on the -101 build? Arsenal USA receiver, K-VAR .223 barrel and bolt? My -101 is also an Arsenal USA job, but is one of the Saiga .223 conversions they did during the AWB years, rather than a parts-kit build. I love it!

Izhmash... ok, my bad. On the AK-101, this was a custom build by Kolov/Arsenal on a K-var Bulgarian kit... done for return on a favor to Jimmy... it is a real sweet heart.

Beeeutiful job, dude. I know that the Russian side-folder is more true to the original, but. . .you can't side-fold while optics are on the gun, right?? That's primarily why I went with ACE: to be able to fire while left folded. I have never had the "stock" stock, so to speak, is there any spring tension? Or do you have to be either side locked (on the clip), or extended? My ACE has spring tension while folded to keep it down.

Also. . .What do you mean when you say "it came with the stock"?? From what supplier??? Are you from outside the USA??

Thanks.

That's primarily why I went with ACE: to be able to fire while left folded.

:eek:

Also. . .What do you mean when you say "it came with the stock"??

His guns are factory original Saiga-12C's, imported in the depicted configuration during the AWB years, for use by Law Enforcement. Once the ban sunset, they became legal for citizens to own. Not only are they factory folders, but they're most likely ALL RUSSIAN, as well (unless he's changed something internally); no US parts are required for legality. :super:

Only about 1000 -12Cs were ever brought in; right after the sunset they sold for around $600-800 as dealers, individuals and departments looked to dump them on the (newly) open market for a quick buck. These days, when one turns up for sale, pricetag is upwards of $1200.

His guns are factory original Saiga-12C's, imported in the depicted configuration during the AWB years, for use by Law Enforcement. Once the ban sunset, they became legal for citizens to own. Not only are they factory folders, but they're most likely ALL RUSSIAN, as well (unless he's changed something internally); no US parts are required for legality. :super:

Only about 1000 -12Cs were ever brought in; right after the sunset they sold for around $600-800 as dealers, individuals and departments looked to dump them on the (newly) open market for a quick buck. These days, when one turns up for sale, pricetag is upwards of $1200.

Yep...

I have been reading auctions and other sources of AKs for over five years (in other words, during, and after the AWB) and I have never seen a Russian "no ban" version except as a pre-'89 MG ban model or pre-'94 AWB model. I have never seen or heard of any LEO "ordering," much less any US importer importing, a "during ban," no-ban Russian gun. The only importer of the Saiga line during the ban (and they dopped the line immediately AFTER the ban), was EAA. EAA NEVER imported anything but ban guns (that was what they were comnfortable with. Imediately after the ban, after EAA found out that people were doing PG conversions, they dropped the line like a hot potato to avoid the potential wrath of the BATF (silly considering they were doing nothing wrong).

Who were/was the US importer(s) of these alleged Russian "no-ban during the ban for LEO only" AKs???

Edited by inparidel
I have been reading auctions and other sources of AKs for over five years (in other words, during, and after the AWB) and I have never seen a Russian "no ban" version except as a pre-'89 MG ban model or pre-'94 AWB model. I have never seen or heard of any LEO "ordering," much less any US importer importing, a "during ban," no-ban Russian gun. The only importer of the Saiga line during the ban (and they dopped the line immediately AFTER the ban), was EAA. EAA NEVER imported anything but ban guns (that was what they were comnfortable with. Imediately after the ban, after EAA found out that people were doing PG conversions, they dropped the line like a hot potato to avoid the potential wrath of the BATF (silly considering they were doing nothing wrong).

Who were/was the US importer(s) of these alleged Russian "no-ban during the ban for LEO only" AKs???

You might want to expand your sources if you never heard of a 12C in five years...

Begin right here on this site ---> http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...w=&st=&

Edited by slag
You might want to expand your sources if you never heard of a 12C in five years...

Begin right here on this site ---> http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...w=&st=&

And continue right here on this site:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=3866

And then go to where you USED TO be able to buy 'em:

http://www.keepshooting.com/saiga12c.htm

http://www.ak-103.com/nfa.html

As far as who the importer was - I've seen at least one that was imported by Hesse. I'm sure there were other importers as well.

Edited by shooter2

I bought mine in March 2003 from Kalashnikov USA. I think their out of business. It was 100% Russian with a side folder, pistol grip, and 8 rounder, just like the one in the pic above. It says it's for law enforcement only on the side.

Well. . .I'll be. I heard of people that wanted to get mfg licenses allegedly for LEO sales, but it was my understanding that they never actually sold any to LEOs, and during the ban, they could not sell them to anyone else, so it was my understanding that they are as rare as hen's teeth. Oh, well. You really do learn something new every day. :eek: