Venting Synthetic handguards

A couple of guys have taken a liking to the venting jobs I've done on synthetic handguards, so I thought I'd share my method for anyone looking to tackle it. First, I can't take credit for the pattern. It is copied from the actual Russian slotted handguard. I have never seen one in person, but the pic from the Russian Saiga page was all I needed.

post-1542-1153885396_thumb.jpg

Take that image, blow it up to full size, then trace a template with masking tape. Flip the image a make a mirror image template for the other side. Line up the tape template on your handguard, make sure it's straight, then dremel out the slots. Did I mention make sure it's straight? Oh yea, and make sure it's straight. I left my slots a bit undersized then handfinished with a round rat-tail file and a flat file. Tweek em longer, shorter, wider, whatever to taste. As always, go slow. You can take more off but you can't put any back. Sorry I don't have any step-by-step pics. I'm always in too much of a hurry to get them done :) Hope that helps you guys.

I have a few questions

1) What dremel tool did u use?

2.) Got any pics of ur vent jobs?

3.) Does/Can it weaken it enough to break?

4.) How Did u get it smooth? (like 400 grit sand paper)

5.) What do you guys think about Vents that are round?

Or do you think it would defeat the purpose?

1) What dremel tool did u use?

Standard hobby-type dremel using the saw-style bit to drill in and remove material horizontally.

2.) Got any pics of ur vent jobs?

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=At...ost&id=7988

3.) Does/Can it weaken it enough to break?

In theory, sure. Any hole weakens it slightly. In practice, you would have to beat it pretty hard to do any harm. The handguard material is quite tough. Don't get excessively close to an edge with your vents and you shouldn't have a problem. If you drill it out like the one pictured then I doubt you would ever break it. Still, leave it alone if you want absolute maximum durability.

4.) How Did u get it smooth? (like 400 grit sand paper)

The hand filing was adequate.

5.) What do you guys think about Vents that are round?

The only vents I've liked were the factory-style ones. I've seen many that look like total hatchet jobs. I think slots cut cleanly and located between the barrel and gas tube are the most cosmetically pleasing and serve a legitimate purpose to increase cooling.

Or do you think it would defeat the purpose?

If your purpose is to make it look nice, that's subject to opinion. If the purpose is cooling, then sure round vents will work. It's just a matter of taste. It's your baby. Make it the way you like it. I plan to do proper AK handguards on my next one, or maybe an AMD65 handguard. To each their own.

Edited by Falcon73

Good job on your vents. They look nice and straight. I've done several with the drill, dremel saw, and file method but the way to go is using an endmill. It saves lots of time and effort and the cuts will be perfect instead of hopefully straight and symetrical. Milling machines are expensive but if you have a bit there is another way. I have my endmill chucked in an ancient craftsman drill press with a cross slide bolted to the table. Once you get it lined up right you just have to slowly turn the handles and it feeds in a perfect straight line. Of course first you have to measure and mark the ends of the slots correctly on your HG but the rest is like clockwork. I will never again spend over two hours doing one by hand with a dremel and all that filing and sanding. :ded:

post-1293-1154839227_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1154839244_thumb.jpg How bout this old bitch.

post-1293-1154839320_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1154839335_thumb.jpgYou want to go over each cut a few times taking away a small amount so you don't slow the mill down too much.

post-1293-1154839358_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1154839372_thumb.jpg

:smoke:

Thanks Equinox

You are the man!

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of venting the handguard, here are a couple of links to web pages I just this minute ran into that may be of interest.

http://www.parabelluminc.com/handguard_cooling_slots.htm

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&...=80&t=80686

I'm not sure if the ar15.com link will come up unless you're registered on that forum.

Dang Cobra - I've got a Craftsman drill press and a milling vice (my wife got me a nice one for Christmas after I bitched about the cheap chicom one that I was using) :)

So I can get an end mill bit and... hmmm that could be useful for a lot of applications.

Like cleaning up my rommie kits for building among other things.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
Template for the 12. This is full size, just print it to assist in hole location.

I'm kinda late to the show...this is my first post.

Thats perfect! I was wanting to vent my S12. Now to find a rail to bolt to the bottom..........

This is the rail I used. Mounts solid as a rock but requires a little more care in locating and drilling the holes. You will need to dremel the inside center spine around the hole locations but like I said, this thing will mount really solid.

http://www.parts4ar15.com/ar-15_accessorie...ct/CAA-PRA.html

Template for the 12. This is full size, just print it to assist in hole location.

I'm kinda late to the show...this is my first post.

Thats perfect! I was wanting to vent my S12. Now to find a rail to bolt to the bottom..........

This is the rail I used. Mounts solid as a rock but requires a little more care in locating and drilling the holes. You will need to dremel the inside center spine around the hole locations but like I said, this thing will mount really solid.

http://www.parts4ar15.com/ar-15_accessorie...ct/CAA-PRA.html

+1 on the rail install. I used this one though - it has a slight angle, so it's perfect for S308 with the upswept HG and it's aluminum. M4 Barska rail

• 1 year later...

I think the poster was trying to say milling plastic with a mill vise might work, but won't work with metal. Frankly I would be suprised that it even worked on plastic. Just not enough rigidity in a drill press to do milling ops. Despite my pessimism I would like to know if it work though!

i did a writeup a long time ago in the x39 section probably mid 04....using a drill bit and a dremel cutoff wheel.....

besides the conversions its probably the best mod i've done to the saiga....

....that bitch gets hot with no room to vent

• 5 months later...

I was reading somewhere on the forum that while the guy was venting the handguard he also placed a piece of tin or aluminum (i think) inside the handguard to help with cooling. If I recall it was from a a/c vent pipe or something. He also did just holes like I dunno 3/8 holes instead of oblong/elliptical shaped slots like what I've seen on here granted I think the pictures on here look cooler I would think just drilling 5 or 6 holes would be far simpler work. If I find that post again I'll make a link here.

• 1 year later...

I was reading somewhere on the forum that while the guy was venting the handguard he also placed a piece of tin or aluminum (i think) inside the handguard to help with cooling. If I recall it was from a a/c vent pipe or something. He also did just holes like I dunno 3/8 holes instead of oblong/elliptical shaped slots like what I've seen on here granted I think the pictures on here look cooler I would think just drilling 5 or 6 holes would be far simpler work. If I find that post again I'll make a link here.

My AR-15 aftermarket handguard came with something like this lined on the inside. Great tip! Edited by IPvFletch
  • 2 years later...

This will be my next mod soon.  Brought my x39 to the range this past weekend, burned my 75 round drum and two 30 round mags and that handguard was not comfortable to hold.  Gun wasn't rapid fired either, all aimed shots couple seconds between, but over 130 rounds through the barrel and it's obvious it needs some vents.

• 1 month later...