The Saiga and Vepr appear identical! i have fires a frieds vepr, but i am yet to fire My saiga. Both are .308. I thing that i have noticed on his gun compared to mine are

1.) Clips that come with the vepr is 2 a 8 &10, saiga only 8

2.) Vepr has a vented Foregrip, saiga doesn't ( unless you mod it like i'm doing tommarrow)

3.) The cleaning accessories are identical!

4.) As for part (keepin mind i'm NOT a expert) the saiga recoil spring has what appears to be a 2 piece core, Vepr is a solid rod

5.) The vepr has the thing on the end (might be called a muzzle brake)

6.) the thing i didn't like about the saiga is the stock Hallow Sucks! the vepr has a skeleton stocK. (my new stock is folding and i bought from ACE) :haha:

7.) Weight is almost the same vepr is just a tadd heavier!

Just a few side note He payed 699.00 for his vepr, i payed only 340 for my saiga. I figure id put about 300 into the gun i've spent about 290 as of now. And it looks sick!

The mag capacity, or lack there of is a problem for both of the 308 models. But in my opinion the Vepr is hands down superior. The only think I can find wrong with it is that crazy cut at the rear of the reciever mated with a plastic stock. Outside of that its a heavy barrel on an RPK receiver which means a longer life and better accuracy. Also, don't let the stock keep you from getting a Vepr, ACE makes an adaptor for them too ;)

The saiga is a great value, but if you can afford a Vepr (and can find one) then go for it.

The mag capacity, or lack there of is a problem for both of the 308 models. But in my opinion the Vepr is hands down superior. The only think I can find wrong with it is that crazy cut at the rear of the reciever mated with a plastic stock. Outside of that its a heavy barrel on an RPK receiver which means a longer life and better accuracy. Also, don't let the stock keep you from getting a Vepr, ACE makes an adaptor for them too ;)

The saiga is a great value, but if you can afford a Vepr (and can find one) then go for it.

yeah, where do can i find them??? ive been looking, and all i have seen are 223s.

I shot a Vepr 7.62x39 today and the barrel is much heaver than an Saiga 7.62x39. That Said I was shooting at steal plates from 200 yards and hit with both my Saiga and his Vepr, which is better? I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it. Plinking at 200 yards well they are both about the same. If you had to tote it for a while the Saiga is lighter. If your wanting to shoot for score the the Vepr would be better. Me I plan to stick with my Saiga. BTW the steel plates were one foot squares.

If your looking for a Saiga go to the guest book and look for some of the sellers under the tech section, I bought mine from http://atlanticfirearms.com/ I love the gun expecially after I converted it.

BTW the website says they have Vepr's too. Don't for get to ask for the discount members of this forum get!

Edited by topmaul

I read that they sued Molot for patent infringement and won. And that under Russian law, that means that Unkle Mike now OWNS Molot! So they can make whatever Izhmash wants made there. If the profit margin is better on Veepers we will most likely see them again...after new contracts between the distributors and the new owners are worked out.

My Vepr uses unmodified M14 mags.I have given my Vepr a designation unlike any other.

I call it a V-308/M14KC;translation:Vepr .308,M14 Krebs Conversion.

I have a S-308 22" being converted and a S-308 16" I have in layaway and saving for a Tromix conversion.

Both versions are 1-2" groups @100 yards open sights.The Vepr was bought before FBMG announced 20 rd mags.Either way I very pleased with both rifles.