Hi all

i just bought a yugo mauser k98 and have been tryin to remove the magazine floor plate with no success , i have been pushing in the release catch in front of the trigger guard and as i understand it it should hinge down from the front................am i right?

mine wont come off................any ideas?

many thanks

assassin

Hi

Im guessing that my mag release button is in some way stuck , i removed the mag/trigger guard assembly and depressed the mag release while trying a little leverage on the floor plate with a screwdriver but its fixed tight , there are no signs of any fixings except for the mag release button.

any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance

assassin

Hi

I will try soaking the part in penetrating oil over night and see what happens , i know that it comes off on the german k98 and as far as i know my k98 is german made but had the german marks removed and the yugo crest stamped on the ring instead.

all the best

assassin

• 3 weeks later...

Definately sounds like its locked into its closed position due to oxidation (read "rust")...not that it could be bad enough to show, but I have come across a few in the same condition you are describing. And if all else fails, try dropping the whole assembly in ATF (automatic transmission) fluid overnight, its excellent about seeping it and dissolving any oxidation that may be present. It will suprise you when you least expect to get it unstuck...just my .02 worth...

:smoke: Hi Assassin-try it this way since I installed a 20 round trench mag onto my czech VZ24 and had to remove the floorplate and follower. Do spray some penetrating oil around the front and back edges of the floorplate, press the release button down about 1/2 inch or til it clears the floorplate(use a small diameter punch and a small flashlight to check), now you have to try to SLIDE the floorplate back towards the trigger guard WHILE depressing the button in order for the plate to slide out of the catchlips front and rear, and it should come up-becareful of the spring tension. It can be a '3 handed finger fuck" trying to get the thing off since you are fighting the release button,the mag spring AND tthe fact that the plate slides forward and catches on lips in the front AND back-IT IS NOT HINGED! I hope this helps I have marked this -notify me on replies,I want to know if you get it removed-they can be tight little bastards!!!

Also fyi-the receivers on the yugos are about a 1/4 SHORTER than the standard 98K mauser,czech VZ 24 , etc.

Hi all

I finally got the mag floor plate off today . i soaked it in some wd-40 releasing oil and got a friend to depress the catch for me while i tapped the plate towards the trigger guard with a hammer and block. it was stuck fast with congealed cosmoline and the wd-40 dispersed the oil , it is still tight to get on and off but now my curiosity is satisfied. many thanks for all your help.

here is a pik of my yugo mauser 98k

all the best

assassin

post-21-1088713064.jpg

:super: Good Job Assassin!! Told you it would take 3 hands! BTW here is a -crappy- pic of my czech VZ24 with the 20 round trench mag installed.I get quite a few looks at the range with this baby!! I am also posting some quick picks of my rifles and shotguns under the ;show your collection ' topic. Enjoy and hang in there bud!!! I think both our countries need a :sadam::killer: terrorist incident where the 'evil gun' owning public saves the gov'ts ass,to show WHY we have and enjoy shooting what we do!! :lolol::super:

post-21-1088925426.jpg

Edited by thousand son

Hi thousandson

I was offered a brand new repro trench mag at the show where i bought my mauser but the guy wanted £100 for it and said that some had been selling for around £300 , phew thats just too much money for one mag. lol i can see why you get the looks at the range, quite un-convetional and looks good.

all the best

assassin

While im here i have a question.

Does anyone know where i can buy a larger front sight blade for my mauser as with FNM 7.92 ammo and the sights set to 100m it still shoots about 7 inches too high but when i use some 1950s russian made ammo it shoots right on but the russian ammo is scarce over here so i am forced to use the fnm ammo as i can get it local. i want to replace the front sight blade with a taller one to bring my point of impact down some.

thanks

assassin

Guest Thousand son-did not login to re

:smoke: Assassin, try to take measurements of the front site base,height of blade,width,etc and try checking any surplus places, or email me with the dimensions and I can try to find one or a place to get one for you. My email should be under my profile.

BTW the trench mags over here go for 80-100 bucks depending on the source,I want another one but they will not ship to me in the COMMIFORNIA STATE even though it is a bolt action. :cryss:

I can get you info on sources over here and you can try to order one,but the receiver on the YUGO's are supposedly 1/4 inch SHORTER :eek: so you mayy not be able to use it anyway-try measuring the action length on a czech or german 98K series and compare it to yours.