Do Saiga's have a removable op rod?

Do the Saiga's have removable op-rods like SKS's do? I would assume they do since ak-47's do as well. I handload and would like to make some light loads for teaching my kids how to shoot and for other specialty applications such as very heavy/light bullets for caliber. The easy conversion to a very fast straight-pull bolt action is just another selling point for me.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a Saiga .308 and a Yugo SKS and I must tell you that, no, the gas op rod in the Saiga is not removable like the SKS. The op rod is threaded into the bolt carrier and pinned... to ease in cleaning and maintainence....they come out as a unit. I would not put underloads in a Saiga anyway...the owners manual expressly prohibit that for safety reasons. I don't handload,yet, so I'm not certain on that point. Teaching your kids to shoot is a wonderful idea and the 7.62x39 round shot from a Yugo SKS has less felt recoil than a 30-30 IMHO....Good Lucl!

I tried that "straight pull action" with my SKS and when my daughter (11 at the time) complained about it, I checked it out myself. It seemed to recoil more with the operating rod out. I reassembled it to semi-auto and she fired it without a single complaint. I guess it makes sense, the gas operation soaks up some of the shock.

Or, rather than handloading, you could opt to buy some old CETME .308 from when the Spanish were using "lite loads" in their CETME rifles . . . from what I understand, regular .308 will tear those guns up unless they have a modified bolt carrier.

I "discovered" these rounds at my local gun dealer, by accident. I have heard good things about Spanish surplus. . . . so . . . . It fired nicely but wouldn't cycle the action. Just not enough Umph! Something like an 8000psi case preasure difference.