saiga buttstock help

HI all

I have been a long browser, but not a poster, anyway, I am working on my 4 or 5th saiga conversion, this one is a long barrel, 7.62 x 39, and want sort of a non standard buttstock, not looking for a folder, or a standard, it needs to be black and US made, but if the right foreign is suggested, I guess I will just get more 922r parts. I was looking for an RPK type stock but can not find one...does anyone have suggestions???

thanks

doc

Kvar's and Inter Ordnance's webpages show RPK stock kits, one was wood and the other plum color. At least it may be a starting point for you. Welcome! Doc tritium

Edited by tritium

Just got my Interordnance RPK set today, and boy, is the buttstock short! Gonna' have to put a recoil pad on it, a good thick one. But it does look good! Does anyone out there have an extra lower handguard retainer they'd care to part with?

Just got my Interordnance RPK set today, and boy, is the buttstock short! Gonna' have to put a recoil pad on it, a good thick one. But it does look good! Does anyone out there have an extra lower handguard retainer they'd care to part with?

Are you looking for a lower retainer to fit the RPK handguard or is it a standard AKM one? K-var is out of the RPK ones, but the 7.62x39 barrel would be too small. Their standard AKM ones are running $20. I can hand make one for RPK handguard, but it will run like $40. PM if interested.

I was told that the front sight and gas block have to be removed to install the handguard retainer. Is this correct? Is there any way around this?

Yes , press off FSB and latter GB, use 12 ton press, and home made press plates

the other way I have seen in here is to cut the retainer in half and weld it back

once installed on the barrel, I never have done that, but guess it works for

some of the guys on the forum.

I just don't have the equipment for this, so I cam up with a way to firmly secure the lower handguard in position (keep in mind that I'm not going for the-last-detail accuracy). I don't know if this'd work for other forearms, but the laminated one is pretty tough. I used a modified EMT Conduit 1/2" two hole strap (*about $.25) to mqke a completely hidden barrel clamp inside the forend. It holds the forearm perfectly, and keeps it from sliding. You can push it on or pull it off, but have to smack it to do either. I'm going to make a faux retainer later, but a little black paint on the end will do for now. Ya' gotta get pretty close to tell the difference. If anyone is interested in how to do it, please let me know and I'll do some pics and drawings.

WECSOG grad for sure!

Hell yeah post some pics. I for one am always interested in a cheap easy way to do something different as long as it doesn't look FUBAR.

Please post it in a new thread though as this one has taken enough turns already...