20 Round magazines=Very bad idea!!!!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone declared that upper stratosphere is about to meet the biosphere yet?

:ded:

Glad I have my 30 round 7.62x39 AK 47 then <_<

Goodness Gracious, I just stopped by to see if the freakin' things were "over the counter" yet.

"After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favour of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working. After a while he abandoned this one as well as being obstructively cynical and decided he quite liked human beings after all, but he always remained desperately worried about the terrible number of things they didn't know about."

I am not sure which sums it all up better....

THIS....

post-721-1156264393.jpg

Or THIS....

post-721-1156264497.jpg

Mabe when it comes right down to it... We can never have to worry about it ever again...

post-721-1156264579.jpg

:smoke:

smartess post yet!Indy you are a scholar and a saint.I vote for more of christinas tatas!

I second the vote for more of Christina.

I started reading this thread a few days ago and posted once but I have (like a dumbass) read this thread once again. I have to say reading it the first time I felt a little dazed. After reading it the second time I think I actually lost some IQ points.

so wait, wait, let me get this straight here.....do you all mean that we CANT attach any high cap mag to a STOCK saiga of any kind in the first place??? I need to put US PARTS IN IT OR I MAKE PROHIBITED WEAPON???

IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING??

(heh heh, sorry I just cant help it.)

OK....

Then explain the MAK-90?

The MAK-90 was the first rifle to ever be modified in order to comply with the 1989 foreign awb.

It is 100% foreign made. It has a thumbhole stock (can't have a PG), no FH (although the first batch had these cheesy FH's permanently welded on) etc...

These take any high capacity magazine, either domestic or foreign no problem. I don't believe there were any domestically made AK mags in 1990 (I could be wrong).

Why did the BATFE allow the import of these rifles when clearly, these rifles - without modification, could easily accept anyone of the MILLIONS of foreign made, high capacity AK mags already in the country? They should have required that it be modified to take only single stack low capacity magazines. Or just ban it outright.

This is different from the SAR-1, which was made into a domestic rifle by Century.

The dude that stared this thread has some very valid arguments, regardless of what the rest of you think of them or whatever your personal interests in this matter are.

It's truly a matter of the BATFE being extremely inconsistent.

The barrel problem stems from ATF's newest ruling, which states that if a rifle is banned as non-sporting, the permissible parts for importation do not include the barrel. So no more parts kits with barrels for all of the yugo's, amd-65's, etc to be imported.

This is BATFE BS. They cannot write law - which is precisely what they're doing with the parts-kit ban. A barrel does not make a rifle. The law is clear in what it states - and the BATFE hates the idea that firearm laws are sometimes worked around. By legal definition, the receiver is a firearm. That's the standard in the U.S., and should be the standard for imports. If this is a point of contention - that would be pretty disgusting by the Feds. If barrels, trunions and whatnot are attached to the receiver - it, as a whole, is a firearm. Therefore, the configuration of such rifle can be sporting or non-sporting. In th 1989 law, there is specific definitions for what is and isn't sporting. When these parts are sold as is, they are not firearms and thus - cannot be ruled "unsporting"...What is next? An unsporting front sight post? This is beyond any reasonable interpretation and intent of either or both the 1968 and 1989 laws. It is absurd that a parts kit is banned, when a Saiga rifle is legal.

If this is challenged in court -- I assure you the BATFE will be defeated (unless it is the 9th circuit or something). Problem is, someone would have to competently challenge this. I doubt there's enough money in parts kits to warrant a huge legal battle with the feds. Which is precisely what the BATFE thugs are counting on. To make matters worse - I absolutely assure you that domestic firearms manufacturers are quite pleased with that ruling. Every single parts kit that is banned, is one less AK in the hands of someone next year or the year after that who WILL inevitably be in the market for a semi-automatic rifle. Thus, they will opt for a US made option. I'm not saying this is something they pushed for, but you can be certain that they're not complaining about it. U.S. makers hate cheap imports because they are superior in everyway to their junk and 1/5 the price.

Bottom line, the BATFE is inconsistent and they contradict themselves all the time with their idiotic and tyrannical rulings. They aren't going to ban the Saiga .308 because of a high cap magazine. Using a high-cap magazine in it *could* be interpreted to be illegal...but that's the end-user's problem.

Think of it like this -- you can buy a folding stock right now for a Saiga or a MAK-90, nothing is stopping you. The same way a folding stock makes a MAK-90 or a Saiga illegal (assuming its still foreign made)...the same way a high-cap might.

The availability of such things does not make the rifle not importable. Otherwise, nothing with a detachable magazine that is semi-automatic would be importable - period.

Edited by Sikat
OK....

Then explain the MAK-90?

The MAK-90 was the first rifle to ever be modified in order to comply with the 1989 foreign awb.

It is 100% foreign made. It has a thumbhole stock (can't have a PG), no FH (although the first batch had these cheesy FH's permanently welded on) etc...

These take any high capacity magazine, either domestic or foreign no problem. I don't believe there were any domestically made AK mags in 1990 (I could be wrong).

Why did the BATFE allow the import of these rifles when clearly, these rifles - without modification, could easily accept anyone of the MILLIONS of foreign made, high capacity AK mags already in the country? They should have required that it be modified to take only single stack low capacity magazines. Or just ban it outright.

This is different from the SAR-1, which was made into a domestic rifle by Century.

The dude that stared this thread has some very valid arguments, regardless of what the rest of you think of them or whatever your personal interests in this matter are.

It's truly a matter of the BATFE being extremely inconsistent.

The barrel problem stems from ATF's newest ruling, which states that if a rifle is banned as non-sporting, the permissible parts for importation do not include the barrel. So no more parts kits with barrels for all of the yugo's, amd-65's, etc to be imported.

This is BATFE BS. They cannot write law - which is precisely what they're doing with the parts-kit ban. A barrel does not make a rifle. The law is clear in what it states - and the BATFE hates the idea that firearm laws are sometimes worked around. By legal definition, the receiver is a firearm. That's the standard in the U.S., and should be the standard for imports. If this is a point of contention - that would be pretty disgusting by the Feds. If barrels, trunions and whatnot are attached to the receiver - it, as a whole, is a firearm. Therefore, the configuration of such rifle can be sporting or non-sporting. In th 1989 law, there is specific definitions for what is and isn't sporting. When these parts are sold as is, they are not firearms and thus - cannot be ruled "unsporting"...What is next? An unsporting front sight post? This is beyond any reasonable interpretation and intent of either or both the 1968 and 1989 laws. It is absurd that a parts kit is banned, when a Saiga rifle is legal.

If this is challenged in court -- I assure you the BATFE will be defeated (unless it is the 9th circuit or something). Problem is, someone would have to competently challenge this. I doubt there's enough money in parts kits to warrant a huge legal battle with the feds. Which is precisely what the BATFE thugs are counting on. To make matters worse - I absolutely assure you that domestic firearms manufacturers are quite pleased with that ruling. Every single parts kit that is banned, is one less AK in the hands of someone next year or the year after that who WILL inevitably be in the market for a semi-automatic rifle. Thus, they will opt for a US made option. I'm not saying this is something they pushed for, but you can be certain that they're not complaining about it. U.S. makers hate cheap imports because they are superior in everyway to their junk and 1/5 the price.

Bottom line, the BATFE is inconsistent and they contradict themselves all the time with their idiotic and tyrannical rulings. They aren't going to ban the Saiga .308 because of a high cap magazine. Using a high-cap magazine in it *could* be interpreted to be illegal...but that's the end-user's problem.

Think of it like this -- you can buy a folding stock right now for a Saiga or a MAK-90, nothing is stopping you. The same way a folding stock makes a MAK-90 or a Saiga illegal (assuming its still foreign made)...the same way a high-cap might.

The availability of such things does not make the rifle not importable. Otherwise, nothing with a detachable magazine that is semi-automatic would be importable - period.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 establishes quite a few things regarding weapon imports.

The U.S. Attorney General can make new changes at any time based on evaluation of sporting purposes.

In 1998, a new restriction came about. Bill Clinton/Janet Reno. Imports that could utilize high capacity magazines would no longer qualify for legal import in civilian markets. Based on the conception of the 1994 Assult Weapon Ban, this was not subject to sunset as this is a restriction on import law (not 1994 crime bill).

Thats why you only see low capacity rifles imported anymore. Once they arrive on U.S. soil, they can be modified, but only in compliance with the 10 part rule.

I am not sure which sums it all up better....

THIS....

post-721-1156264393.jpg

Or THIS....

post-721-1156264497.jpg

Mabe when it comes right down to it... We can never have to worry about it ever again...

post-721-1156264579.jpg

:lolol: How about this? :lolol:

post-1293-1156822772.gif

:haha:

In 1998, a new restriction came about. Bill Clinton/Janet Reno. Imports that could utilize high capacity magazines would no longer qualify for legal import in civilian markets......

Thats why you only see low capacity rifles imported anymore. Once they arrive on U.S. soil, they can be modified, but only in compliance with the 10 part rule.

.308 Saigas are imported as low-cap rifles. Once there is a high-capacity magazine for them, they'll, by default, be imported being able to utilize high capacity magazines as is, without modification to the rifle.

I think that's the argument the guy is trying to make.

Instead of arguing with Pvt. Pyle over nonsense, he should have just asked him if the BATFE approved this in writing. That would settle all of this once and for all - provided I didn't miss that detail in the thread already (it's long).

Edited by Sikat

[FLAME]

WTF?

FOR ALL YOU GUYS WHO "COULD CARE LESS", WHY BE A DUMB @SS AND EVEN BOTHER TO REPLY? (And yes, this includes some of the mods and long time members whose opinion I normally respect.)

If you don't give a d@mm about this subject then why post? Frankly, its the "what a dumb topic", "who cares", and "I hate ATF" posts that have taken this thread into the pits . . . so I'll say it again:

IF YOU DON"T CARE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT, THEN DON"T READ IT!

IF YOU THINK A BUNCH OF FOLKS ARE HAVING A STUPID DISCUSSION, THEN DON"T BOTHER TO POST!!

HOW DOES THIS HARM ANYONE IF A BUNCH OF FOLKS WHO YOU THINK MAY HAVE THEIR HEADS UP THERE @SS WANT TO DISCUSS A SUBJECT THAT YOU THINK IS LAME? WHY CAN'T YOU "JUST SAY NO"? DO YOU THINK YOUR OPINION IS SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU CAN"T KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!

[/FLAME]

Larry

PS: Sorry for the flame . . . and if I get banned for this post, then I get banned . . . but I stand by my position.

Edited by LESchwartz

why would we ban you LESchwartz?

im still not quite sure that the atf CAN ban the import of a saiga 308 rifle, due to a high cap being made in country by a different company than the importer. it is not being imported WITH the gun, is illegal to attach one TO the gun as-is off the shelf, and the other saigas havent been banned, even though we are all converting them BACK to the evil thing that that IS banned from import now. why didnt they ban them when we all started doing our conversions? especially now that it s well known that you can use regular akm mags in them with very very slight modification to the gun?

i just cant see them doing it. as i said before.

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Aug 28 2006, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did anybody else catch that part about no operating rod in AK because it's one piece with the bolt carrier? So the part everyone calls a "gas piston" is really an operating rod? Who has a letter that explicitly states the number and name of imported parts in an AK subject to 922r?

[FLAME]

WTF?

FOR ALL YOU GUYS WHO "COULD CARE LESS", WHY BE A DUMB @SS AND EVEN BOTHER TO REPLY? (And yes, this includes some of the mods and long time members whose opinion I normally respect.)

If you don't give a d@mm about this subject then why post? Frankly, its the "what a dumb topic", "who cares", and "I hate ATF" posts that have taken this thread into the pits . . . so I'll say it again:

IF YOU DON"T CARE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT, THEN DON"T READ IT!

IF YOU THINK A BUNCH OF FOLKS ARE HAVING A STUPID DISCUSSION, THEN DON"T BOTHER TO POST!!

HOW DOES THIS HARM ANYONE IF A BUNCH OF FOLKS WHO YOU THINK MAY HAVE THEIR HEADS UP THERE @SS WANT TO DISCUSS A SUBJECT THAT YOU THINK IS LAME? WHY CAN'T YOU "JUST SAY NO"? DO YOU THINK YOUR OPINION IS SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU CAN"T KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!

[/FLAME]

Larry

PS: Sorry for the flame . . . and if I get banned for this post, then I get banned . . . but I stand by my position.

Uh oh the fun police are back... :ph34r:

Well flame on Larry flame on!

At least I attempted to give a damn... :haha: Oops...Damn not given...

Now allow me to attempt to answer some of your questions directly.

1. Why be a dumbass? Well let's see. Who's a bigger dumbass, someone who reads thru this long ass thread, sees it going around in circles, and tries to come up with some more speculation to add?

Or is it someone who reads thru same long ass thread, complete with edits, and gets so tired of seeing it they finally jump in and offer something useful. Then later as the thread becomes even longer and more more entertaining decides it has pretty much run it's course and adds some good humor to make it semi worth looking at?

Or is it someone who gets their gobots underoos all up in a bunch trying to protect the honor of said longass thread?

2. "IF YOU DON"T CARE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT, THEN DON"T READ IT!

HOW DOES THIS HARM ANYONE IF A BUNCH OF FOLKS WHO YOU THINK MAY HAVE THEIR HEADS UP THERE @SS WANT TO DISCUSS A SUBJECT THAT YOU THINK IS LAME? WHY CAN'T YOU "JUST SAY NO"? DO YOU THINK YOUR OPINION IS SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU CAN"T KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!"

For starters, It's my job to read thru ALL the posts I can on this entire board (EVEN THE ONES I THINK ARE STOOPID :rolleyes: ) and if I want to add a little humor into the frey then I can god damn well do that! If people who have no sense of humor can't take it then tuff shit. The amount of good useful information I personally post throughout this board FAR outways any smartass remarks or simple remarks made in jest that I put up. That also goes for the other longstanding members' opinions who I also normally and STILL DO respect. I will speak up for them because I know some of them won't even bother to listen to your flame.

What makes this Gun board different and more attractive to some is the fact that people here have a sense of humor. Try and find yours... You can say pretty much whatever you want in here and not worry about getting banned, at least not until you get warned and then continue to push your luck...

The ONLY people who have been banned from this site were loudmouths who took it upon themselves to repeatedly attack the mods directly and ignored all warnings.

NO I won't shut my mouth, not now, not ever!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Umm can I put a hi cap mag or drum in my Saiga without changing any parts? Will the Saigas be declared DDs as soon as hillary gets in office? Does anyone think that maybe pyle and Z1500 had sense enough to do any checking around with the bureau BEFORE they decided to invest thousands of dollars making their EVIL mags?

Toon in, turn on, and check back next week folks, same bat time same bat channel! :batman:

Uncle batfuck...lol :lolol:

Pretty much DITTO to what Cobra said...

Again, its my job to read thru all the posts also... and then ditto to Cobra's post, ... humor, yadda yadda yadda... and the rest of the blah blah he said, I agree with 100%!!!! (

Have a little humor... the thread has pretty much run in circles... and why not have a little chuckle when reading it?!?!?

LESchwartz, since I started it I, I'll take full blame for letting the monkeys out of the barrel. :wacko:

My posts can be ignored. Feel free to post as you wish as I'm sure others will follow suit in an intelligent discussion.

Due to the fact I've donated money to this wonderful forum, I feel I have the right to post as I wish. If I go over the line I will be notified by the proper authority. Generally the folks on this site all have a great sense of humor and this thread needed a little pick me up. When I see a horse being blungened beyond death, I will intervene.

We always try to keep it light-hearted around here! :angel:

That all said, here's my take on the issue:

If someone wants to put a high-cap mag in a gun that is not legal to do so in, then they assembled it and they are breaking the law. Same as putting an auto sear in the gun, if you don't have the legal permission to do so, you are breaking the law. Will 922r get enforced? who knows. I for one don't want to risk it. Not when it's as simple as swapping out one part.

TEXASAK73 - Congratulations and welcome to the club!