Ive been noticing that when I shoot clay pigeons, that I seem to miss a lot more often when I shoulder the gun and then follow the bird and pass to the front of it to shoot the round, than when I just stand with the gun on my hip, and stare the bird down and snap fire the gun when it touches my shoulder on it. Any of you trap shoot enough to know what I am talking about? It is bugging me, as I though both techniques were equally good to use. I am consistantly getting another bird per group with snap firing on them.

Hi Bvamp

I used to shoot clay pidgeon here in england , sporting , trap and dtl. i always found the "follow the bird , exellerate ahead of it and touch off the round" system to be best for me but i think its a case of roll with whatever suits you best , we are all different and if your strength lies in snap shooting then go for it , i was once told by a shooting coach that i must stop shooting from my right shoulder and learn to shoot from the left as i am left master eye dominant , i didnt and i practiced more and at a local club i was told by another teacher that if i went out on the main circuit i could win some prizes (maybe only at club level) and i got to a point where i rarely missed yet if i had taken the other coaches advice i would have been set back maybe 10 years as i cant shoot clays from my left shoulder and expect even 5 out of 10 hits. I think everyone must find their own strengths and capitalize on them , there is no 100% right way to shoot , its what is right for the individual that gets results. Even if your shooting technique was different to everyone else at your range , if it gets you the results good on you.

i once took a bolt action 3" magnum .410 shotgun (a very cheap one) to my clay range and while i was waiting my turn i heard some guy with his 12g beretta over/under shotgun diss my little .410 as "its ok for shooting rabbits i suppose " and laughing at me , when i shot 10 clays out of 10 i waited around for his turn and he only hit 7 out of ten so i shrugged my shoulders at him and repeated his words back to him "its ok for shooting rabbits i suppose" and left it at that lol , if you know yourself and your gun you can get results within gun limitations that is(.410)

all the best

assassin

Edited by ASSASSIN

peaople used to laugh at my 18" kids modle rem1100 till i showed em up. i was in the trap club at school i had a 23 out of 25 avarage. i aways started out ahead of the bird and stayed there. mostly its just about pointing and putting ur shot where u think the bird will be. like leaveing a load of shot as a gift for it when it reaches there