Dissappointing Slug performance

First thing I did with my Saiga (adjustable sites) was to sight in with slugs. At 25 yds I hit nothing. I'm thinking "uh oh". Move the target to 15 yards and the slug is impacting low 14-16 inches and to the left 6 inches. I drifted the back sight, and maxed the front sight out for elevation. Now it shoots centered and 8-10 inches low AT 15 YARDS. :cryss::evil: Outrageous!

Anyone else have this happen? Doesn't look like there is any more room to adjust for elevation without shaving the front down? And I'm not sure I'd be willing to go that route anyway.

So, next steps will be to contact dealer, then EAA if necessary.

mine holds dead on now that I have the sight drifted to the spot the factory should have put it on to begin with before they set it. Do you have the short sight rail on your gun or no? that would be ideal, because you can put a new set of real shotgun sights on it....as for elevating the front sight? maybe file the front sight's base to get it to screw in a little more? it has to go down, not up is what you are saying, right?

BV,

Yes, the adjstable sites sit on a rail (that seems to be spring loaded?). The front site is adjusted all the way down, so short of shaving the bottom of the rail I've run out of adjustment. I think the idea of differing sites on the rail is a good one, and my intention would be that it's a "plan B".

I may put "real" sites on at some point, but I'm going to try to get the factory ones right first.

Ken,

You are the second person I've noted saying slug shooting with the adjustable rib sight was less than ideal. I originally wanted the adjustable sight model Saiga 12 and settled with fixed sights verson. I have replaced the factory sights on my Saiga 12 with adjustable rear and AK-47 type front on the barrel for quicker snap shooting on three-gun events.

You should get at least 3-5 inch groups @ 50 yds. (benched) with good grade of foster slugs and any choke.

RonSwin

BEFORE FILING ANYTHING TRY SHOOTING NOW AT 100 YARDS.

NOW THAT YOU ARE CENTERED FIND OUT WHERE THE IMPACT SWEET SPOT IS.

REMEMBER THAT THER IS A TWO INCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOUR BARREL AND SIGHT!

EVEN IN THE BEST OF WORLDS A 15 YARD ZERO WITH YOUR SAIGA WILL GIVE YOU A FOOT HIGH GROUP AT FIFTY YARDS.

I have the same problem of it shooting low with the front sight adjusted all the way down plus it shoots to the right. Short of hitting the rear sight with a sledgehammer it wont move. So i bought a kobra sight, i havent had a chance to zero it yet. Your gun ain't the only one bro. I might pull the whole sight rail off and just put a bead- i'll see how the kobra sight does first.

Ron,

Are you going to BC Sat? They have a 70 round SG match. I'm pretty sure I can go. I want to look more closely at your mod. Not my first choice, I prefer a bead for snap shots (for speed). But I might have to do something like yours. Did I hear that you put a pistol sight in the back? Check out the virginia IDPA board for the course of fire. And yes, there is a "let's see if we can screw the saiga owners" stage in there. Still looks to be a lot of fun. Joe is up for it, and I'll likely use his shotty.

Rock,

I hear you, but realize that it's shooting lower than the sight over bore amount, so it's actually going to get a LOT WORSE! I first tried at 25 yds, and wasn't even on the cardboard!

Cage,

How low? As for drifting the rear sight, you do know that it is pinned, right? Once my pin was out, it still took some pretty good licks to move it.

I am probably 2" low at that distance, but I just adjust for it. Shooting slugs at anything but the range you set your sights to is a real skill anyhow. You have about a foot of drop at 100 yards... Slug sights are supposed to be true at 50 yards, not at the muzzle. Maybe our Russian friends dont know this...shotgunning until recent decades has always been a rich man's sport, so who knows?