I just replaced 2 pistons. 1 from 7.62x39 and 1 from 223 used tapco ak47.

I put them in tight cause the rifles dont have many rounds in them. didnt repin. found no evidence of original pin and I didnt get the hole drilled perfectly. I tried punchin and punchin nothing budged. I have now come to the conclusion they just peen the carrier to the piston. to get the piston out try drilling out both the piened indents try not drilling all the way through.

first attempt with 7.62x39 was better though the 223. I missed good portion of the peen and it was tough to get out. had to get a 12x1.25 tape and trace the threads and remove the remaining peen. if you have to retrace threads dont put the tap in to deep or the piston will be too loose in the carrier. I used loctite for the moment and backed the gas piston off slightly 1/8th of turn to get slight wobble. with the tapco ak47 piston wasnt much piston to drill into to pin. if carrier was shortened 1/4th of inch would work better with the tapco piston due to the way that is. if you used a krebs ak74 piston you would be better off.

replacing stock with US would be easier. if you put couple hundred rounds through the firearm and get it loosened up replacing is easier.

Never thought about them being dimpled in. It sure looks like that is what was done though now that you mentioned it. I will drill them out. I really appreciate the input.

I will be using a Tapco piston too, I haven't heard of any problems with them although they are a bit long. It's what I have left over from a set I bought a long time ago. I am trying to hold to a budget or I would have went with a FAC Krink stock, I really like them more than the wire stock but it will be nice to have a folder after Nov. Just a heads up, I had to get a different disconnector spring to get my G2 trigger to work. I went a head and got another safety also just in case. I am cutting the pistol grip hole tonight, sure hope the trigger slot doesn't affect it too much. I also know I have to check the hammer fit to make sure it clears the cross pin.

Has anyone tried to find a stripper clip attachment for Saiga .308 mags to see which ones would work? FAL, H&K or M-14?

on both my saiga's 223 and 7.62x39 they had the pistol grip nut hole already. from sheiks website I guess I am lucky.

I used chinese pistol grip nut and the already made hole was little small the nut didnt fit flush. if you have the same problem I suggest you remove metal from the area between the ak trigger hole and PG nut hole and not the saiga trigger hole and PG nut hole.

might see bout having someone weld up the old holes I dont use.

I reused my retaining wire and cut 3 coils off and bend it under the trigger pin and over the hammer pin. other side with the coils the safety runs through the coils and holds it. might be able to get picture.

if you done want to use the old wire that came with saiga E clips are cheap.

not sure the redstar arms shepards crook would work with rivet between trigger and hammer pin.

tapco piston is long but it works. was thinking bout cutting off the first ring portion of the tapco piston and trying to drill an indent. but checked it out it has room to work.

dont own a 308 at all so dont know bout the stripper clip attachment. might be able to just put it up against the magazine and push them in. due it at the moment with ar15 223 stripper clips and saiga 223 mags. doesnt work great but is nicer than loose packed ammo and cheaper than more magazines.

From what I have seen on the web, the trigger difference in the .308 means different cuts in the reciever. There is a long groove behind the AK trigger hole for the Saiga trigger. I cut the hole for the pistol grip today and will be fitting the trigger guard as well. I really need a three corner file but will leave the cut a little rough for now while I do the trigger guard. Maybe I will get into town today for whatever else I need.

I plan on sticking with the shepherds crook but may cut it like you are suggesting. I have a spare if it doesn't work out. I may try to get the piston off today as well.

I will not be drilling a hole for the front of the trigger guard, I may want to switch to a whole new trigger guard and mag catch assembly later on. I don't want my Saiga looking like Swiss cheese. I will just tuck it under the trigger guard for now.

I thought about cutting a slice off the piston too, I will try it the way it is for now.

The magazine holds eight round which I think is plenty for my budget. I would like to modify it to ten but am a little nervous about what I have read versus what is truth. It isn't that people lie, it's that they don't include details. I think it was almost four or five months after the first .308 had been modified before anyone mentioned that the hammer was different and that the Saiga safety didn't always work withthe new FCG. I don't want to modifiy the magazines only to find out the follower tips and I have ruined an expensive magazine for a lousy two more rounds.