New Saiga 7.62x39 question

I got a new Saiga, it has dimples and looks like the right side had some welding done over the top of the original stampings and on the inside right rail. When I was seeing how much to take off the mag catch I put in two rounds to check rail alignment. When I slowly ran the bolt back and forth both rounds fed and ejected perfectly. I tried a few more rounds, then different mags. All fed and ejected fine, even when letting the bolt slam into them. There is a bevel under the chamber and I'm guessing this helps. I'm also using Wolf classic FMJ's as testers.

I have everything I need to do a bullet guide (done it before) so it's not an issue, BUT why bother if it's not needed. My question is: anyone have any info on the new imports or experienced this yet? Thanks in advance!

I got a new Saiga, it has dimples and looks like the right side had some welding done over the top of the original stampings and on the inside right rail. When I was seeing how much to take off the mag catch I put in two rounds to check rail alignment. When I slowly ran the bolt back and forth both rounds fed and ejected perfectly. I tried a few more rounds, then different mags. All fed and ejected fine, even when letting the bolt slam into them. There is a bevel under the chamber and I'm guessing this helps. I'm also using Wolf classic FMJ's as testers.

I have everything I need to do a bullet guide (done it before) so it's not an issue, BUT why bother if it's not needed. My question is: anyone have any info on the new imports or experienced this yet? Thanks in advance!

Mine required a bullet ramp, so I put it in. Putting one in will not hurt anything. I guess the only real test is to actually fire it if it works it works if not get a 12 dollar bullet guide from Dinzag. Or just spend the 12 bucks and never have to worry about the gun letting you down when you really need it.

Where did you buy it?

Interesting, take it to range and test it, see what happends, if it works fine

please take some pics and publish it, to see how it look the

inside of the gun, thats if you can.

Edited by vjor

Pics! Pics! Pics!!! Sounds pretty interesting. We heard awhile back they were starting to show up with dimples. We really need RAAC on this forum posting.

Thanks for the info - now get us some pics!!!

Here are a couple pics:

Saig1.JPG

Saig2.JPG

I went ahead and put in a bullet guide while I had it stripped for conversion. I could tell from the way the FMJ rounds barely made it into the chamber that soft nosed and hollow points would snag. There is a bevel at the bottom of the chamber just like what guys put on their 223 conversions.

From all appearances, the receiver is a mil-spec AK without the third hole having been drilled. There's a faint trace of a cyrillic selector marking still showing through also. Unfortunately my Pic-Fu is weak and those shots turned to crap.

I got the rifle slightly used (under 50 fired) from a local guy who intended to convert it but changed his mind. It was $250 with the K-Var Nato stock included. It was originally purchased for $249 at Ben's Loan in Renton, WA.

Right now it has a Century FCG (polished, of course), pistol grip and I'll drop in a gas piston today as I'm waiting for a TDI ergo-grip.

Dinzag--are your 6-32 screws grade 8's? If so I'd like to get a couple in case my ACE hardware ones f-up. Thanks!

Pics! Pics! Pics!!! Sounds pretty interesting. We heard awhile back they were starting to show up with dimples. We really need RAAC on this forum posting.

Thanks for the info - now get us some pics!!!

I just bought a brand-new 7.62x39 from www.saigacentral.com (who also happen to have the cheapest ones I could find anywhere) and it has the dimples and a bevel on the chamber as well.

I'm gonna try her out at the range tonight and if all goes well she's gonna get converted post haste.

The guy at Saiga Central told me that all of the new 7.62x39's that he's getting in have dimples. Lucky for me I live in the same state and didn't even have to pay shipping or transfer fees! :super: