saiga .308 or Romak3

Search this VERY FORUM... I think this exact same question was discussed at length not too long ago...

From there I think all your questions will be answered...

I own both... I love my PSL way more than the S-308... it is far more accurate, and to be honest, cool looking! I am truly a Saigaholic... but my PSL is my baby!! :wub:

The S-308 is capable of excellent accuracy, with some milsurp ammo and with handloads I suspect it will do even better!!

Portuguese and south african are some of the better milsurps. Now, with handloads you will need to tailor a load... bullet weight, powder charge/type to your specific rifle... what may work awesome in one, may not shoot worth a fuck in a second... and will have to do lots of range testing with different loads to see which one your rifle shoots the best, then stick with that for best results.

I reload for the PSL also...and with handloads it is capable of sub MOA groups... the brass is ruined after the first shot, so its not cheap... but it allows me to tailor a load to my specific needs for a specific purpose.

Hope all that helps.

:smoke:

thanks Indy i will look for that post i didn't think i was discussed or i wouldn't have brought it up.

about the hand loads i was just wondering what this 308 is capable of. just to see if in all reality the romak3 is more accurate or not

P.S. i think they are cool looking too. Have you seen one of the "carbine" versions ?

tough call.

I had a romak three and miss her DEARLY. had an RSA trigger and the rare 4-12 1p21 scope. I'm a moron.

but at least I have my saiga. IMO, the saiga should be more accurate, but this is splitting hairs. both will do well with teh right ammo (I hear the right - nay, ONLY, ammo to put through a PSL is 148 gr wolf). my saiga feed son Black Hills 175 gr BTHP match only, and she's doing as well or better than teh PSL did. but like I said splitting hairs.

pop a good trigger in and use good ammo in either adn you'll blow away the AK haters.

I hear the right - nay, ONLY, ammo to put through a PSL is 148 gr wolf

Not entirely true...

You ONLY want to run LIGHT BALL ammo thru the PSL... nothing heavier than 150 grain... in THAT aspect yes, you are correct... however, the TRUE ammo *MADE FOR THE PSL* is the Russian 7N1 sniper ammo... which although pricey can be found here....

http://www.buyammo.com/buyammo.php

But ya better HURRY cause its almost all gone... they dont have ANYWHERE NEAR the supply they did a few weeks ago!!!! ( I have never bought any nor shot any, so I do not know how it shoots, other than its supposed to be *THE* ammo *MADE* for the PSL to perform!)

I also shoot the Czech Silver tip out of my PSL.. ( and clean it religiously afterwards!!!) But that shoots VERY WELL!!! Actually better than WOLF!

And as previously mentioned... I reload for the PSL... so my handloads really do a trick.

NEW Graf brass, Standard large rifle primers, 50 grain of IMR 4895 with a Sierra 125 Gr. PSP, OCL= (appx.) 2.725" ( my mics are acting retarded...) Will give me 3 shot, 1 ragged hole groups at 100 yards... and will hit "minute of dirtbag" at 400 yards EVERY TIME without even blinking... ( A 12"X12" steel spinner plate) :up:

I bet if I were to put a BETTER trigger group in it, I could tighten groups even further!!!!

tough call.

I had a romak three and miss her DEARLY. had an RSA trigger and the rare 4-12 1p21 scope. I'm a moron.

but at least I have my saiga. IMO, the saiga should be more accurate, but this is splitting hairs. both will do well with teh right ammo (I hear the right - nay, ONLY, ammo to put through a PSL is 148 gr wolf). my saiga feed son Black Hills 175 gr BTHP match only, and she's doing as well or better than teh PSL did. but like I said splitting hairs.

pop a good trigger in and use good ammo in either adn you'll blow away the AK haters.

Yea, i had a feeling the saiga might hold up to it, but what do you expect ya know. I just can't wait intill i can buy a few :up: i just really wish people would try and push these saigas to see what they can do

If it's possible to have feelings for a unanimate object, I'm in love with my Romak! I very often take both my Romak and my .308 to the range together and will be firing one while the other cools. My Romak is the superior weapon, but not by all that much. Its lighter, has less recoil and is only a hair more accutare at anything 200m or less.

I used to use Wolf 148gr(supposedly it was designed specificaly for the Romak for comercial uses, the 7N1 was designed for the SVD) and regularly got 3/4"-1 1/2" 100m three shot groups after it warmed up, but when I started using the Czech silvertip, it shoots so close, I use it as standard. I bought three cases of Wolf when it first came out with the same lot numbers, and it was excellent. When that ran dry, I bought more, but it wasn't nearly as accurate (QC problem maybe) and tried the Czech. Czech at 200m benchrest I get 2.5"-4" groups, which is just fine for me.

My .308 hates anything with a brass case. It's wierd, but even the expensive stuff yields unsatisfactory results. I don't use anything but Wolf FMJ and at 100m will regularly hit 1-2MOA and at 200m will open to 3-5" five shot groups. I also seem to have one of the few rifles that will hold its zero with a POSP. Wierd stuff, but I'll take it.

I've never really got to use my .308 at any real distance, but the Romak is awesome out to 750m. I can keep most shots on a 55 gal drum, but never tried and groupings or anything. Even at 300m, the Romak outshines the .308.

To be honest, I'd rather fire for effect with my S223 at 200m, its way more fun and stupid accurate for what it is.

You would be better off BUYING one outright. They come with a scope, pre-zeroed from the factory. and all set up tweaked, ready to rock and roll...

I know that classicarms has them now and then for a very good price. Or you can try some of the other places, like J&G sales, AIM surplus, umm... theres another one but of course the name escapes me now... OH well... someone else will pipe up here, I Am sure.

You would be better off BUYING one outright. They come with a scope, pre-zeroed from the factory. and all set up tweaked, ready to rock and roll...

I know that classicarms has them now and then for a very good price. Or you can try some of the other places, like J&G sales, AIM surplus, umm... theres another one but of course the name escapes me now... OH well... someone else will pipe up here, I Am sure.

SOG lists them, and at a very reasonable price. Inter Ordnance also, but more expensive. Rumor has it there is a batch coming to market soon. Remember, those are prices to a dealer at these two places.

Edited by tritium

Good deal, Tritium, way to get to the dirt!!! :up:

Just as a reference... I paid $649.00 for mine from Classic, $12.00 shipping. Came with 2 magazines, the sling, oiler, cleaning kit, and some other crap. The 4x posp optic was included, and was pre-zeroed from the factory... I literally took it out of the box, installed the scope, shot it, bullseyes ( or thereabouts, when I could hold still enough! LOL ) without any problems with Czech silver tips and wolf.

If there is a shipment coming in, I would get ready to snag one up.

Also... they are making them in .308 too!!! That might even be a BETTER caliber for those wanting it to hunt with, as more match/super accurate factory ammo will be available!! :up: :up:

:up:

ROMAK-3/ FPK SNIPER RIFLES - CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK.

COMPLETE WITH 1-20 RD MAG, SLING, SCOPE WITH MOUNT AND CASE. SHIPS IN A HARD SHELL CASE.....$649.95.... OUT OF STOCK

NOTE -WE HAVE A COUPLE OF THESE RIFLES THAT HAVE A SLIGHT CRACK IN THE LOWER FOREARM. (SEE PHOTO) THEY ARE TOO HARD TO GET TO SEND BACK, AND WE JUST DO NOT HAVE THE TIME TO FIX THEM, SO WE ARE GOING TO SELL THEM AS IS, AT A SLIGHTLY REDUCED PRICE. I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM USING THESE JUST AS THEY ARE ( THIS IS NOT A STRESS POINT. ) BUT IF YOU WANTED TO FIX THEM IT IS NOTHING SOME GORILLA GLUE AND AN OVERNIGHT CLAMPING COULDN'T FIX. OTHERWISE THEY ARE JUST THE SAME AS THE OTHER RIFLES IN THE HARDCASE ETC. TAKE A CRACKED HANDGUARD, SAVE $30.00 BUCKS ..ONLY $619.95. .....2 IN NOW.

I've never heard of classicarms before, but this is a SMOKING DEAL. if I had the money, I'd jump on it.

The one I had was marked Romak 3 and wa sa factory build. I heard FPK's are not complete builds.... is this true? SOG has FPK's also for 495 with no scope... wow.

Edited by chapperjoe
ROMAK-3/ FPK SNIPER RIFLES - CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK.

COMPLETE WITH 1-20 RD MAG, SLING, SCOPE WITH MOUNT AND CASE. SHIPS IN A HARD SHELL CASE.....$649.95.... OUT OF STOCK

NOTE -WE HAVE A COUPLE OF THESE RIFLES THAT HAVE A SLIGHT CRACK IN THE LOWER FOREARM. (SEE PHOTO) THEY ARE TOO HARD TO GET TO SEND BACK, AND WE JUST DO NOT HAVE THE TIME TO FIX THEM, SO WE ARE GOING TO SELL THEM AS IS, AT A SLIGHTLY REDUCED PRICE. I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM USING THESE JUST AS THEY ARE ( THIS IS NOT A STRESS POINT. ) BUT IF YOU WANTED TO FIX THEM IT IS NOTHING SOME GORILLA GLUE AND AN OVERNIGHT CLAMPING COULDN'T FIX. OTHERWISE THEY ARE JUST THE SAME AS THE OTHER RIFLES IN THE HARDCASE ETC. TAKE A CRACKED HANDGUARD, SAVE $30.00 BUCKS ..ONLY $619.95. .....2 IN NOW.

I've never heard of classicarms before, but this is a SMOKING DEAL. if I had the money, I'd jump on it.

The one I had was marked Romak 3 and wa sa factory build. I heard FPK's are not complete builds.... is this true? SOG has FPK's also for 495 with no scope... wow.

You should check Classic's page daily. Now and then they get a few Romak-3's in and post it at the top of their homepage, first come first served on phone orders. That's how I got one. It was reworked by TN Guns and marked 'Made in Romania.'

Edited by tritium

Classic arms is a gret place to deal with. I used to buy Surplus rifles and ammo from them all the time.

FPK is a BS name just like the retards that try to call them Dragunovs. I ordered mine from Interordnance with an 8x POSP for $715 shipped. Interordnance is great except the fact that I heard that they would be shipping my rifle next week for over three months. Mine is a Romanian built PSL (I just call it a Romak3 even though its marked SSG97, which is I/O's designation) and was a goof or oversight on I/O and the Fed's part. It showed up with a bayonet lug and the muzzle break only pinned and not welded. This was well before the AW ban even ended.

Supposedly there is a difference in the military parts kits and the Romanian built for export rifles in that the parts kit weapons have slightly thicker barrels.The commercial rifles have a step in them in front of the gas tube. I checked mine, and it doesn't. Dunno.

Classic arms is a gret place to deal with. I used to buy Surplus rifles and ammo from them all the time.

FPK is a BS name just like the retards that try to call them Dragunovs. I ordered mine from Interordnance with an 8x POSP for $715 shipped. Interordnance is great except the fact that I heard that they would be shipping my rifle next week for over three months. Mine is a Romanian built PSL (I just call it a Romak3 even though its marked SSG97, which is I/O's designation) and was a goof or oversight on I/O and the Fed's part. It showed up with a bayonet lug and the muzzle break only pinned and not welded. This was well before the AW ban even ended.

Supposedly there is a difference in the military parts kits and the Romanian built for export rifles in that the parts kit weapons have slightly thicker barrels.The commercial rifles have a step in them in front of the gas tube. I checked mine, and it doesn't. Dunno.

Im talking about markings, not just names. SOG says they are MARKED fpk which as we all know is a bogus name and suggest a kit build. romak III's from what I've heard tend to be authentic and shipped here whole.

• 4 weeks later...
What is classic arms web page exactly? I have $680 burning a hole in my pocket?

I want the Romak III version without the cheezy dragunov stencil on it if possible.

Classic's page is www.classicarms.us. They have been out of Romak III's for several months and only on rare occasion have a few become available, often (but not always) with cracked handguards. But just in case I would check their website daily as if the Romaks do come in they are usually announced on their home page and they disappear very quickly.

Actually, Your BEST BET... is to call them... frequently.. I know that although they say they update the webpage daily, this is not always the case, and besides, if you call and they DO have them in stock, you are already on the phone to place an order.

Also... I wonder if they will "hold one" so to speak... if they know you want one, and give them some info... maybe they will call you back to say "We got em in stock, how do you want to pay?" I dunno if they will, but their customer service is TOP NOTCH... and I personally have purchased over a half dozen rifles from them, my PSL included!!! It is still one of my ALL TIME favorite rifles to go out and shoot!!

****************ONE IMPORTANT THING TO NOTE.... ****************************

****YOU CANNOT PLACE A FIREARM ORDER WITHOUT A CURRENT FFL HOLDER ON FILE WITH THEM!!!!!****

SO, make sure you have your FFL info SENT TO THEM FIRST!!! They will accept a CLEAR FAX COPY!!!

Just wanted to let you know... so you dont call them... they have them in stock, and you try to order and they tell you "no" and then by the time the FFL gets there, they are sold out and you are bummin...

Good luck and happy hunting for a PSL!! You will LOVE that rifle!!!

Gimmie one with a cracked stock, I found this posted by romakdaddy on another board and I think brg3 did the stock set. Really looks good in my mind, possibly my next project. Delema is, IO may come through with some more .308's, and romakdaddy claimes he has a reliable, functioning, Galil mag retrofit as seen in pic.

post-1866-1160447903_thumb.jpg

And as far as kit building goes, the only recent kits I've seen available were priced at like 600, and I paid 730 w/transfer fee out the door for mine. Great rifle, shoots great, turns heads, is friggin loud, and it ejects casings like 15 feet out the side, so it REALLY pisses off the ak haters. The best accuracy I've gotten is about 1.75, I've shot silver tip and wolf 148, I think I prefer the wolf. I need to get a reloading setup, but I just can't justify it yet.

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 'cracked' PSL from classic arms back in April.

I was going to order one of the handguard sets from 'senior moment' somebody on the web. But after I got the rifle the 'crack' was so tiny that I didn't even bother to repair it.

I'm quite happy with mine.... :wub:

Oh, and Classic Arms folks are great. They bent over backwards to find an FFL local to me. I will definitely buy from them again in the future...

Edited by bkngt
I bought a 'cracked' PSL from classic arms back in April.

I was going to order one of the handguard sets from 'senior moment' somebody on the web. But after I got the rifle the 'crack' was so tiny that I didn't even bother to repair it.

I'm quite happy with mine.... :wub:

Oh, and Classic Arms folks are great. They bent over backwards to find an FFL local to me. I will definitely buy from them again in the future...

You might consider a SVT if you can find one at a reasonable price in your area.

...and romakdaddy claimes he has a reliable, functioning, Galil mag retrofit as seen in pic.

But aren't the Galil 308 mags like $120ea? You can get 4 Romak mags and a pouch from Centerfire Systems for $99 AND the Romak can use Dragunov mags if you want something fancier.

...and romakdaddy claimes he has a reliable, functioning, Galil mag retrofit as seen in pic.

But aren't the Galil 308 mags like $120ea? You can get 4 Romak mags and a pouch from Centerfire Systems for $99 AND the Romak can use Dragunov mags if you want something fancier.

No you can't. Dragunov mags are completely different and will not work in a Romak. The Dragunov mags also cost an arm and a leg if you can find one.

Edited by GonzoX
  • 5 months later...
No you can't. Dragunov mags are completely different and will not work in a Romak. The Dragunov mags also cost an arm and a leg if you can find one.

I've read online that they will take Dragunov mags, but not the other way around. But, I won't say you're wrong since I only have Romak mags ;)

"can accept detachable 10 round magazines made for the Dragunov or Romanian PSL"

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model2.htm

I really don't know that much about the romaks, but why can you only use the light ball stuff in them and with the S308 you can use any loads? Isn't the 308 a little more powerful then the 7.62x54?

Light ball only? I thought you could shoot the AP (steel core) stuff that's out there too. I've got light ammo, its dirt cheap. Don't know how it compares to 308, ballistically. I usually see people comparing it to the 30-06 which is bigger.