This is my 1st ever build of an AK type rifle. Built from a Hungarian AMD63 parts kit on a Vulcan receiver with screws.Test fired it today(100 rounds) and it was perfect. Muzzle brake is effective and reduces felt recoil considerably. The rifle is accurate and I can hit what I shoot at.

post-8-1087170210.jpg

what was your total cost (about) and your man hours spent? looks good. The reciever is registered to you, do you have to declare it now that its been built up or no? also, is the reciever pre or post ban manufacture?

Edited by Bvamp

Total cost: $233. Manhours @ 18. Receiver is not "registered" as far as I know. Transaction is enterred into FFl dealers "Aquisition and Disposition Book". Is that registration?Declare to whom? Dunno when receiver was manufactured. Probably recently.

If I cant put a pre ban upper on a post ban AR15 lower, im not sure how your project would work out. The reciever is supposed to be serialed as well and declared. at least that was my understanding of it. where are these threads you were saying you been reading up on? I want to see what these guys are saying about doing this. If that is really legal, Im going to go "rebuild" a sten.

Bvamp, from what I've read, you aren't required to have it marked/registered. Unless you're manufacturing for sale.

Also, as far as I know you couldn't build one of those AMD kits unless you used a post-ban receiver (like Tengu did).

Edited by JesusCow

Give!!! We want info. I am concidering an AK build for next winter's project. 80%

reciever,U.S. stocks fire controll group,maybe U.S.mag followers.(now to save money , figure what parts, ect.). Keep us posted on who found what and what works and where.

G O B

so that isnt considered making or remaking a weapon? correct? I dont have to be a gunsmith to do that? why cant I put a preban AR upper on a post ban AR lower then? wouldnt you have to put these parts on a pre-ban reciever? I dont get it.

so that isnt considered making or remaking a weapon? correct? I dont have to be a gunsmith to do that?
yes it is consitered making your own weapon, and it is legal as long as you never try to transfer it to anybody, yes you would become a gunsmith by doing that, just like if you made your own horse shues you would be a blacksmith.

if you are instred in home gunsmithing i know a good forum to lurk in, just PM me and i will send you a link.

why cant I put a preban AR upper on a post ban AR lower then? wouldnt you have to put these parts on a pre-ban reciever?

if you are willing to change the flash suppresor (mil spec is consitered a genade lancher also), weld or pin the new suppresor, and chop off the bayonet lug, then no problem.

if you just slaped a per ban on it alone has 3 "bad" things.

I dont get it.

who dose get the ASW ban?

Bvamp do you own a Cetme made by century arms?

anyway guess how cetmes are made? preban parts on post ban receiver.

its not as clean as a preban upper and post ban lower though.

apples and oranges. atf allows it certain circumstances.

also on the sten job. atf has some strict rules on either sten or grease gun receiver. few people have been busted building from 80% receiver.

crazy rules,laws and specifications the ATF has.

something about parts sets ok to use to replace parts though you went out bought a ak47 though all your parts were missing and required replacing.

emclean & GOB:

The best way to get good info on building an AK is to lurk the following websites:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/

And:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

That's what I did.

I used Vulcan receiver for this AK build purchased thru a local gunshop acting as transfer dealer. Used the stocks that came with the parts kit except for an E. German AKM upper and lower forward handguard. I replaced the FCG with a G2 double hook trigger, disconnector and hammer. Used a Norinco 30 round mag w/US made follower and floor plate and a US made AK74 type muzzle brake.

US parts Count:

Receiver = 1

FCG = 3

Mag follower and floor plate = 2

Muzzle brake = 1

Total: 7

post-8-1087572450.jpg

Edited by Tengu

I sitll dont get how your reciver's serial # is registered. is it registered as a remade weapon? you DO have to claim the serial # on your name if it is a newly manufactured firearm. or did i read the ATF law wrong? (like that is hard to do)

cetme? you mean the guns they chop up, send here, and rebuild then register them? those cetmes? I just dont see the logic there guys. help me out here, cause if this IS really legal, Im gonna do it myself. a couple of forums isnt going to convince me. where are the laws saying that this is legitimate, rather where are the laws that dont specify this? because im not transferring it means i can build it, so long as it isnt a pistol or short barreled longarm? where do you see that? I am not rebuilding anything. I am taking a new reciever, and parts off an import banned weapon, and reassembling them. It is a new gun as far as the law is concerned because of the new serial # and new reciever i thought.

Edited by Bvamp

Bvamp:

Think for a moment buddy. There are many forums on the net for various weapon types including FALs, AKs, HKs, UZIs, etc.

Just think if all of these members and builders were doing something illegal, what a field day the BATF would have arresting and charging every one of them. The national news would be filled with the gory details of a major BATF breakup of illegal gunmakers.

I assembled a AK from a legally imported parts kit that was used as replacement parts for my firearm. ( a receiver is considered a firearm by BATF)

Therefore, it was perfectly legal to do so.

Edited by Tengu

What's the story on 80% recievers, I think that would be the way to go. I have heard several horror stories about hesse/vulcan,as well as complements. I would do my own reciever (something about stamping MY name on reciever as the manufacturer). Use U.S. stock and handguard,U.S trigger group,,U.S.muzzle break 5 U.S..parts+1) Is there anything that needs to be done to have BATF blessing?

G O B

i have not made from a 80% yet (and i plan to start with a 1911 style), so i dont know about the flat AK resevers. there is nothing you need to do to get the ATF's blessing, just dont violate any laws in making it. if you build from an 80% you can never transfer the gun, that would a manufacture, and you need a FFl for that.

80% ak you either use a predrilled flat or a prebent no hole blank. the flats require a jig to bend and then you have to weld the rails I believe could already be welded not sure. on the prebent you can get a paper with the specs and use a spray glue and put that onto the receiver will tell you where to drill and cut.

semi auto only put one extra hole through the receiver to take a full-auto fire controll group and you could very well be enjoying the rest of your days in a federal pound you in the ass prison. :eek:

ATF has some special preference with each rifle/carbine/project gun.

any questions email them or write them. get guide to federal law

GOB:

Nothing wrong with the Vulcan receivers and they have a nice matte blue finish They require very little fitting to work quite well with the AMD63 parts kit. Only problem with Vulcan receivers is that the ejector rails need to be heat treated. However, I've heard on the latest ones that problem has been addressed. Ohio Ordinance Works also makes a AK receiver that is quite good. Problem with it is that the hole for the Safety/selector lever is not quite in the correct position but that is easy to fix as well. Best US made receiver out there is the Global Trades/Arsenal receiver. It is almost 2x thicker than other receivers and you have to trim your trunions to fit because of the extra thickness. So, every one of them require something to make them work.

Pre-Drilled receiver flats cannot be bent accurately without a bending jig costing @ $500 and are a waste of time and money for the home builder. (Unless you plan to build lots of AKs) The pre-bent blanks are your best bet for making your own receiver. There are several sources for those including Ace, Marshhawk, and Bentmetal.

Edited by Tengu
  • 2 months later...

Putting S12 parts on another receiver is a stinkin hard way to add another US part. Better to turn yourself a new piston or, make yourself a new handguard, or something. Even mag parts. Besides, the S12 will be compliant with a US buttstock, FCG, and P-grip. You only need to wait till the ban dies.

On these builds, it is legal for you to build anything a manufacturer can build. What makes you different than a manufacturer is that you do not do this for profit. You are not restricted from ever selling a gun built on a complete dealer transferred receiver, just don't sell them too quickly or in too great numbers.

You can build yourself any LEGAL firearm in your own home without any paperwork. You need to mark the receiver with some distinct name and original serial number, and it is questionable if you can ever sell it.

If it has 10 or less imported parts, it can have a detachable mag and one listed feature. After the AWB dies, as long as it has the right parts count, it can have any features as long as the barrel and total length are at the legal minimum.

Yes, Bvamp, under federal law you too can screw together an AMD kit. What is difficult is making sure that you comply with all laws regarding the resulting rifle. Plus there may be state laws that affect you that don't affect me in free PA (for now). This means if you build an AMD-65 kit, you MUST use the proper barrel extension or extended brake and it MUST be permanently attached. Until 9-14, your folding stock MUST be fixed open, and you must add enough US parts to keep your foreign count down to 10.

You can buy a receiver through your FFL, or you can make a receiver from a flat or bent blank.

Of course you've alluded to some NY laws that may complicate things for you, plus I've read that NY laws vary county by county. Good luck keeping ahead of them. The PA uniform firearms act makes sure that laws are uniform throughout the state so that people don't non-violently become instant criminals by driving accross a county line. Anything allowed under fed law except explosive DDs is legal in PA as long as it is owned in accordance with fed law. No registration, in fact it's forbidden by our laws.

I never realized you could slap a pre-ban upper on a post-ban lower for the AR15, but just chop the bayonet lug, and permanently attach the flash hider/muzzle brake.

I assume you MUST make the upper non-evil prior to attaching it to the lower receiver?

The bayonet lug probably messes with your accuracy anyhow.