Forend Options for .308 w/ rails?

Hello

Any wisdom on fitting aftermarket (preferrably domestic manufacture) forends/handguards with attached rails to a Saiga .308? I saw a model for a Vepr from Ultimak, waiting on a reply from them.

-Thought I'd check in with the Saiga "thinktank" as well...

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Guido2 in Houston

Hello

Heard back from Ultimak, the forend for the Vepr is not recommended for the Saiga .308...<sigh>...

- I will work on the Saiga 12 forend for it, however. I was hoping to add an optics system in a "conventional" configuration, to a rail on the top of the handguard.

-Does Krebs offer a forend that might fit? I didn't see one on the site.

Guido2 in Houston

Hello

Spoke to a gentleman from Halo this AM. I indicated that there appeared to be a large demand for an aftermarket tri-or-quad railed forend for a Saiga .308.

He seemed really interested, but said they were a small manufacturing company and could not bankroll more than a few projects at a time. So, until they move a quantity of the S-12 forends (3-4 weeks estimated delivery) they won't be able to embark on new endeavors.

I'm thinking if a number of folks drop them a line and express their need for such an item, we may be able to convince Halo that it would be a viable undertaking. I think it would benefit many of us to be able to purchase a well-made purpose-fitted forend for our .308's. Personally, I'd like to interchange my Trijicon from my AR-10 flat top if needed, a top-railed forend would work well for that.

Just a thought....

Guido2 in Houston

I have the standard ultimak rail on my 308 I will try to get some pics up shortly All I did was modify the brackets that go around the barrel and add longer screws it took about 25 minutes to fit it

that's sweet. can't wait to see. would be an AWESOME rifle witha 2x scout scope and 16 inch barrel.

I have the standard ultimak rail on my 308 I will try to get some pics up shortly All I did was modify the brackets that go around the barrel and add longer screws it took about 25 minutes to fit it

that's sweet. can't wait to see. would be an AWESOME rifle witha 2x scout scope and 16 inch barrel.

Hello, HondaJohn

Do you happen to know which model you have? Is it just the sight rail? They offer a couple of different ones for the AK's, plus a model for the Vepr with accomodation for a heavier barrel. They also offer handguards with rails for the AK, but they don't appear to have top rails with 'em.

I was hoping to be able to use the Ultimak, it was my first choice.

TIA,

Guido2 in Houston

Hello

Spoke to a gentleman from Halo this AM. So, until they move a quantity of the S-12 forends (3-4 weeks estimated delivery)

3-4 more weeks on the Halo forend,where have i heard that before. :ded: They cant move um if they cant get them out to there customers.

Edited by Pointer