16" vs 22" barrel?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought the 21.8 because my research indicates that, depending on ammo, a 18-20" is the best compromise and the only way to get that is to buy the longer barrel and have it cut. This also allows for

Well, at this moment I own a 308 cetme. I should have inspected the barrel more when I bought it, I see some pitting and such in there.   I thought I might get an AK style 308 weapon, especially co

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased the 16" barreled 308 saiga first and went after the 21.5" barreled 308 saiga next when i see it in the rack. I figured the longer barrel would be for longer distance shots. I haven't shot the 21.5" barrel yet we been to busy hammering the saiga in 308 with the 16" barrel. My 21.5" barreled saiga has the same black stock as my 16"/308 does too. I got these on the first importation.

• 2 weeks later...

I read on another forum that some are shooting 400+ yards with there 16" barreled saiga's which makes me wonder at what yardage will the 16" barrel actually go and still shoot good groups. So where does the 16" barrel drop off and were does the 22" barrel go out too? How far can both barrels shoot in 308? I only have a 100yd range here.

The 16" barreled 308 saiga is awesome, its short and accurate. I do have a 22" barreled 308 too but i haven't shot it yet. I been too busy with the 16" barreled 308's.

For long shots i have a 338win.mag with its 4,000ft.lbs @ muzzle and 2,700ft.lbs @ 200 yds thats the muzzle energy of a 30-06 @ 200yds. with a 250gr bullet. I can put two bullets thru the same hole at 100yds.

Edited by Unknown Poster
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
One of these days I will get a pic of one of my buds 308 sagia. It has a 26" Adams & Bennett barrel on it. I have seen him shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yds with Nato surplus ammo. I am not talking about how how everyone measures their groups by shooting 20 rounds and you find one group of the 20 that measures 3/4". This is a real 10 shot group, all 10 shots.

He made it to look just like a RPK. He took all of the diamensions from an actual RPK barrel, Then turned the barrel to match it. Carved all of the wood out of Burled Walnut.

We have to start on some handloads. I know we will be able to get it to at least 3/8-1/2" groups.

All it takes to make one of these things shoot is to get a good barrel on it. I plan on doing one like this soon. Just have to get some more $

What? Adams and Bennett make a .308 barrel for a saiga? What?

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the middle of converting my x39 now, but will tackle the 308 after that. Mine is the 22" barrel....was all that was availible, and I would prefer a shorter one. I have bolt guns for long range shooting so barrel length isn't an issue for me. Has anyone used the crowning kit from Midway? What is the average cost of getting a barrel cut down and recrowned vs the cost of doing it yourself and buying the tools to do it?

Thanks

Edited by unclejake
I am in the middle of converting my x39 now, but will tackle the 308 after that. Mine is the 22" barrel....was all that was availible, and I would prefer a shorter one. I have bolt guns for long range shooting so barrel length isn't an issue for me. Has anyone used the crowning kit from Midway? What is the average cost of getting a barrel cut down and recrowned vs the cost of doing it yourself and buying the tools to do it?

Thanks

Wanna trade?

I'm serious.

I have a converted 308 19 inch barrel Saiga that I would like to trade for a longer barrel.

• 3 weeks later...

IMO: Anything less than 18" on a 308/7.62x51 is more of a plinker/for fun gun. (Though it has more punch than 5.56, or 7.62x39 out of similar length barrels.)

If you want a working rifle with a sub 18" barrel you should look at a different cartridge.

A 308 necked up to 338 might make a good CQB round in a sub 18" barrel.

To me 308/7.62x51 is a MBR round.

• 3 weeks later...

So on the barrel stiffness issue, would cutting a 22" down to 20", 18" or even 16.25" improve the stiffness? Would the stock 16" be stiffer or more precise than a 22" cut down to 16"(assuming the crown us cut well), or would it be about the same?

So on the barrel stiffness issue, would cutting a 22" down to 20", 18" or even 16.25" improve the stiffness? Would the stock 16" be stiffer or more precise than a 22" cut down to 16"(assuming the crown us cut well), or would it be about the same?

A 22" cut down the 16" would be the same. The advantage of 18" or 20" is that it would allow all the powder in the 7.62x51 or .308 round to burn.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok I know this one is old as dirt..

But my reason for going with a 21 inch barrel over the 16 had to do with me using this as a hunting rifle from time to time. I don't wear ear plugs while hunting, and a 16 inch barrel on a .308 is about deafening on the first shot. I have fired my 22 inch s-308 with out ear plugs a couple times, while not pleasant I did not suddenly lose my hearing and have it replaced with a loud ringing/whistling sound (Mossin nagant M-38 did that)

• Like 1

if you convert the 16" and put a light weight stock on it. you will increase the recoil by quite a bit by makeing the weapon lighter. one thing the 22' does have is that long heavier barrel so it weighs a bit more and would reduce the recoil a bit and its bullet velocity will be higher because of the longer barrel.

if you do choose to go with the 16" and convert it and put on a light weight stock you might look into adding weight to it to calm the recoil down .

if your going hunting with it i would let your terrain decide what you need if you are in open terrain or can move easily in the forrest area your in then the 22" would be fine, but if you live where there is really dense forrest i would get the 16" to make it easier to move around ,and to quick draw and aim.

if you want a stiffer barrel you need a thicker barrel. that why BULL barrels are thick. they are MUCH stiffer

Edited by Cryptkeeper

OK, I'm going to chime in here. I'm getting my barrel cut back to 18.5 inches because it's a happy medium for me. It's more like a scout length (like and M1A). NOt so much that I lose velocity and short enough to help with the handling.

I did not suddenly lose my hearing and have it replaced with a loud ringing/whistling sound (Mossin nagant M-38 did that)

Dude you do know that ringing/whistling sound is permanent damage to your hearing? I used to be able to hear a mosquito fart in a windstorm but after 16 years in arty and a tour of combat in Iraq....well, it's all been permanently degraded. Also all those Black Sabbath tours in the 80's didn't help, especially one concert where I was right next to the speakers. Oh well.

Wear hearing protection man!

ok, so after reading this thread twice over, its looking to me that the best way to go is 22" but then have it cut to 20" or 18". im use to hiking around with a PSG-1 while playing airsoft in some pretty heavy brush, so lenght doesnt bother me. so my question is: if i get a 22" would i be gainning or loosing anything by cutting it down to 20" or 19". and also would getting a thicker barrel help greatly? i plan to hunt pig and deer/elk.

and about the hearing protection... does anyone make good hearing protecting for hunting?

Edited by Gopher