Ventilated handguards - Useful or Not??

Just curious what everyone's opinion on ventilated handguards for the Saiga-12 was. Sure they look cool, but how practical do you really see them as being? Do they significantly help cool off the barrel, or is the difference negligible? Can the barrel get hot enough in a firing session to actually effect the standard handguard's temp that much?

My other concern with the handguard would be that in a combat/SHTF situation dirt and debris could easily get in the slots and foul things up, or that the added slots would make the handguard weaker and easier to break. Also, I remember hearing about back when the M14 had slotted handguards that there was a problem of heat waves shimmering up from the barrel causing a distortion of vision.

Just curious what everyone's opinion on ventilated handguards for the Saiga-12 was. Sure they look cool, but how practical do you really see them as being? Do they significantly help cool off the barrel, or is the difference negligible? Can the barrel get hot enough in a firing session to actually effect the standard handguard's temp that much?

My other concern with the handguard would be that in a combat/SHTF situation dirt and debris could easily get in the slots and foul things up, or that the added slots would make the handguard weaker and easier to break. Also, I remember hearing about back when the M14 had slotted handguards that there was a problem of heat waves shimmering up from the barrel causing a distortion of vision.

They aren't to keep the handguard cool, it's to allow the air to move around the barrel to keep the barrel cooler. Everything is sealed up under the handguard so you don't have to worry about dirt or anything fouling anything up. The material is very tough and I seriously doubt you will have to worry about breaking it. If the handguard gets enough abuse to break or crack, my guess is that the handgaurd damage will be the least of your worries compared to what it does to the rest of the weapon. I don't know about heat waves. For most it is more of a cosmetic thing. You would have to put some very serious rounds through it to have a heat problem and if your putting that many though it, a few slots aren't going to make that big of a difference anyways.

I would think that the ventilation in the handguards would assist the barrel in cooling down. The heat waves that people have seen in rifles with these types of handguards would most likely not be an issue to a shotgun. The heat waves might distort vision if there is no air movement to shift the rising heat away from the sight plane. In my opinion these waves would be most troublesome when using a telescopic sight of some kind. The magnificaion would cause the waves to be more noticable. I would not think that high powered optics would have much of a place on a shotgun. So I would say I am in favor of ventilated handguards.

As hot as my barrel gets, ventilation would be nice and it can't hurt anything. I was going to have Cobra vent mine but just never got around to sending it to him. He does a great job, and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks topmaul. Just send it whenever you get ready. Keeping the barrel of a rifle or shotgun cool is important because your POI changes as the bbl heats up.

Another added bonus I like is the feel of it with the holes there to lock your figertips in while shooting.

Am I being too picky? We are talking about foreends here, right? Handguards would be on top of the forend. (I get all exited about people calling mags clips too) I think one of my failings is I usually check the forum and post during my "stress reduction" time when I have consumed 2-3 margaritas.

Have another drink man. The ATF refers to the part that touches your hand when you support the gun up front as a handguard. (I'm referring to AK type weapons) Yes it's actually a forearm as I was taught when it's under the bbl but since a lot of talk on this board is pertaining to converting the weapon to legal PG configuration I usually refer to it as a handguard too. They consider both the upper and lower handguard of an AK type weapon as one part on the "evil" list.

"Am I being too picky? We are talking about foreends here, right? Handguards would be on top of the forend. (I get all exited about people calling mags clips too)..."

Cobra is right, bro...don't sweat the petty, nor pet the sweaty.