Can you shoot 2 3/4"

Yes, but that still doesn't mean you should go out and constantly feed it the cheapest Wal Mart promotional shit that you find on the bargain shelf in the sporting goods aisle.

I have a feeling Saiga-12 owners doing just that can be traced to a lot of the reliability problems they have been experiencing with them.

Go to a gun show. Halfway decent Federal buckshot ammo can be found there for not a lot of :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: .

He is right. There is always somebody out there that is capable of finding some ammo that won't run the Saiga. If you must shoot cheap low base shells, buy the Winchester AA Super Sport or Super Handicap, available at Academy Sports for $4.50 per box. It will cycle the Saiga like a champ. Generally speaking, I would stay away from any 1oz loads. That's a 20ga payload.

He is right. There is always somebody out there that is capable of finding some ammo that won't run the Saiga. If you must shoot cheap low base shells, buy the Winchester AA Super Sport or Super Handicap, available at Academy Sports for $4.50 per box. It will cycle the Saiga like a champ. Generally speaking, I would stay away from any 1oz loads. That's a 20ga payload.

That is why I was asking no more than I am going to shoot it when compaired to my rifles I can use 3" but I was asking for say quail hunting ect and I use the Winchester stuff from Acadamy.

Thank you for the information, now I can get the money together and get one.

You can look at it the other way too. I look for cheap stuff that does run my Saiga. To me, no sense in running premium if the regular will do. And there are LOTS of cheap rounds that make it go bang! Just test a "value pack" from one of the big three from wally world. My current favorite is Federal. Cant remember the last time one failed me (unlike the melting Winchester cheapies that opened their crimp on a day that was hot but not excessive (between 90 and 95?). I've even run a case of the 1 oz loads (bought by accident) and it never complained. They were 1 oz but running HOT.

And there are plenty of times when regular doesn't cut it, of course the Saiga will run these too.

ETA To be clear, I don't disagree with what Tony has said. If you had to grab a box of shells that you've never tested out and NEED them to go bang (hunting, competing) you are better served with quality full sized loads. If you can test before hand, lots of cheap loads will "gitterdone".

Edited by kmoore

I'm split on this issue, but agree with Kenneth don't use Walmart cheap Winchester if your in competition, and it's over 80 degrees out. We had a bit of trouble with them. I think Winchester uses a plastic with a very low melting point don't know for sure.

I have shot about every thing 1oz Remington included, it ran fine, I recommed using PMC heavy Dove loads for competitions.

The times I have had trouble with my S-12 was when it was in serious need of cleaning.

Edited by topmaul