20rd mag update

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as they deliver the first batch of bodies, we will send the orders for bodies out. We are going to get the initial mags next week for testing, and will be sending bodies out to these we have made arraingements with so they can do independent testing to make sure they are perfect. Then we squirt the batch and they will be ready in a week, maybe a bit less. We have increased the number we are running first because of the demand.

It also looks like there will be several places stocking them. Atlantic, Krebs, RSR and of course us.

I am a FNG here so my first dumb question is, what follower, spring and floor plate do you use with the mag body?

I think you use your factory eight round parts. The Russians go total over-kill when it comes to mag springs...it's like they were planning for WWIII or something.

I am a FNG here so my first dumb question is, what follower, spring and floor plate do you use with the mag body?

I think you use your factory eight round parts. The Russians go total over-kill when it comes to mag springs...it's like they were planning for WWIII or something.

Of course Russia is planning for WWIII. There still pissed about the what happened with Germany.

Better over then under Kill EH?

maryland?! this whole state sucks. ill tell you what, when i lived in wheaton, that area was at least more friendly than howard county. im in carroll county now, so if you all want to get together to shoot or just show offf your saigas let me know...

+1

The "vaporware" comes home today. Correia is bringing home the final versions today so we can test them and send out the test units to those that have agreed to do an impartial test for us (dont ask, those people already know who they are and we are not sending any more). From there we are just waiting on the base plates and followers to get here.

Good news! And yes, thanks for keeping us in the loop!

I am watching and learning too - I will not be offering my product (now under development) until I have inventory in-hand. I understand that pre-sales gain you needed capital, but I'm hoping to avoid the need for that. It just causes a lot of angst. People are so "instant gratification" these days. Better to announce and immediately ship if you can IMHO.

Perhaps stating the obvious.

The capitol was one thing, the biggest reason we did it this way was to make sure the market was there so that we did not loose our shirts on the deal at the very least. People are always very excited and ready to SAY they will but the product, but when it comes time to pony up 1 in 20 actually does. We felt very confident that this product would have a higher than usual success rate, but we wanted to make sure people were serious. With that comes the constant questions but that is part of taking care of your customers.

BTW, I broke the first mag. I had to beat the shit out of it. Corriea threw it up above our buildings roof (30 feet or so) and it came down on the feed lips. They are burred and scratched but still fully functional. I broke off the front feed lip retainer by smashing the mag base in a bayonette style thrust against the work bench. It took three trys and each one left a bigger dent in the table than the previous one before it broke. I then broke a factory mag on the first try and it left no dent in the table. This stuff is the stuff they make Ruger poly pistol frames out of, it is really strong. You can break it but it takes a great deal of abuse to do so.

BTW, I broke the first mag. I had to beat the shit out of it. Corriea threw it up above our buildings roof (30 feet or so) and it came down on the feed lips. They are burred and scratched but still fully functional. I broke off the front feed lip retainer by smashing the mag base in a bayonette style thrust against the work bench. It took three trys and each one left a bigger dent in the table than the previous one before it broke. I then broke a factory mag on the first try and it left no dent in the table. This stuff is the stuff they make Ruger poly pistol frames out of, it is really strong. You can break it but it takes a great deal of abuse to do so.

:super: Can't wait. I've been sending people your way to buy Saiga mags as soon as you guys have them ready for normal sales, and i'm anxiously awaiting my preordered mags. Thanks a lot for all of your hard work in developing and testing these things.

This stuff is the stuff they make Ruger poly pistol frames out of, it is really strong. You can break it but it takes a great deal of abuse to do so.

Now you've got me really convinced. A few years ago I watched as a friend won a bet letting his P97 get run over by a John Deere gator, it shot like nothing happened (didn't even bend the mag that was in it). If the mags are this tough, then they befit the AK in my estimation.

All this after a good day afield with my TOZ ( 9 shots 9 squirrels ).

The capitol was one thing, the biggest reason we did it this way was to make sure the market was there so that we did not loose our shirts on the deal at the very least. People are always very excited and ready to SAY they will but the product, but when it comes time to pony up 1 in 20 actually does. We felt very confident that this product would have a higher than usual success rate, but we wanted to make sure people were serious. With that comes the constant questions but that is part of taking care of your customers.

I can wait............................... but I can't wait to get mine!

The mag's front lip, which locks into the mag well, is the weakest part of the mag in my opinion and the part which is most likely to break. If it breaks, game over. I had one break, but the dealer gave me another mag. I have twelve of the eight round mags. I guess they will lose their value if the 20 rounders are a success. Oh, well! An advantage of the plastic mag is that it is lighter than steel (perhaps not lighter than aluminum.) One thing I like about the Saiga mags is that the large feed lips prevent you from hurting your fingers as you load up. Some steel mags are painful to load because of the sharp edges (e.g., Mini 14 mags). I prefer steel mags because they are hard to break and if you dent them you may be able to straighten them out. But I understand the economics of producing a mag for a limited market.

Monomonk

If you hit a metal AK mag as hard as I hit the plastic one there is a fair chance that you would tweek it as well. I really wacked the shit out of it. While the metal would not break, it may damage the front catch. But either way, we are really, really happy with how strong they are.

Yes, that is a good point - insurance if you will. And man, you used the right stuff to make em! I can't wait till they get here. :D

PvtPyle - "From there we are just waiting on the base plates and followers to get here."

The base plates and retaining plates are in hand at Tromix. As soon as PvtPyle gets me the 20rd mag body, I will test the fit, make any final tweaking necessary, then ship the load to him.

The plates fit the OEM 8rd mags just fine, but I want to be sure there are no changes required for the new mags before I ship them out.

Tony