20rd mag update

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second round of beta magazines are done. The improvements from the last batch have been implemented and these are now in the process of being tested.

We shaved off a tiny bit from each interior wall of the mags so that the followers don't stick. We tweaked the plastic mixture a bit to increase strength. Followers now move freely with no hang ups.

Now we wait for the testers to get back to us, and if everything is 100%, we're ready to roll.

We beat the hell out of one of the new mags. I placed the mag in the gun and beat on it with my bare hands. Nada. (hurt the hell out of my hand though). So we bayonet stabbed it into the workbench. This new mag took a much greater beating than the previous beta to break it. (and we had to wail on the previous one). If you break this by stabbing it into something, you would have tweaked a regular AK mag into disability or totally demolished an AR mag.

I stood on one of the empty mags. (I weigh 300 lbs). Didn't crack it. Didn't damage the feed lips.

So provided that the reports from the beta testers are good, we're about there. I imagine that Krinkfreak will probably post video again.

Thanks everyone for their patience.

And on the preorder incentive, we weren't even close to 1500.

The second round of beta magazines are done. The improvements from the last batch have been implemented and these are now in the process of being tested.

We shaved off a tiny bit from each interior wall of the mags so that the followers don't stick. We tweaked the plastic mixture a bit to increase strength. Followers now move freely with no hang ups.

Now we wait for the testers to get back to us, and if everything is 100%, we're ready to roll.

We beat the hell out of one of the new mags. I placed the mag in the gun and beat on it with my bare hands. Nada. (hurt the hell out of my hand though). So we bayonet stabbed it into the workbench. This new mag took a much greater beating than the previous beta to break it. (and we had to wail on the previous one). If you break this by stabbing it into something, you would have tweaked a regular AK mag into disability or totally demolished an AR mag.

I stood on one of the empty mags. (I weigh 300 lbs). Didn't crack it. Didn't damage the feed lips.

So provided that the reports from the beta testers are good, we're about there. I imagine that Krinkfreak will probably post video again.

Thanks everyone for their patience.

Woohooo! :D

You guys know you made me run out and buy a new .308 just because these mags are going to be available.I had a saiga .308 in the past but the lack of high caps kinda made it feel well.....handicapped.

I didnt get in on the pre-order but as soon as they are available I`ll be buying one every couple of months till I have a half dozen or so.

I tested some handloads in my 16" today.........these things have no right to be as accurate as they are.

You guys know you made me run out and buy a new .308 just because these mags are going to be available.I had a saiga .308 in the past but the lack of high caps kinda made it feel well.....handicapped.

I didnt get in on the pre-order but as soon as they are available I`ll be buying one every couple of months till I have a half dozen or so.

I tested some handloads in my 16" today.........these things have no right to be as accurate as they are.

Correia, Thank you for the update.

Thanks

Edited by Master Blaster
Bossman what is your favorite .308 handload for the saiga, and how were the groups distance etc.

I tried my handload way back when I first bought the 16" .308, at that time I was having trouble getting the The psop 4x scope and mount to stay on the gun for more than 10 shots. I still dont have a scope mount for it that will stay put, so its real hard to tell how accurate the gun is. I can do 5" groups at 100 yards with the iron sights and surplus ammo. The handload I was using was 43 grains of Varget or 43 grains of 4064 with a 165 grain softpoint remington corelocked.

If anyone knows of a scope mount that will actually stay put on the gun I would love to hear about it.

so far I have tried 2 different psop scopes a 4x and a 6x, both had the castle nut tensioning system for the mount, I adjusted both as tight as I could and still be able to close the lever, after about 10 shots both fall off the gun. I also have the EAA imported Byloreus mount with the two part lever and screw even after making realy tight I can still move it with my hand so I havent even bothered to mount a scope on it.

The biggest problem I have with the .308 and the .223 is the lack of a sighting system that is capable of staying on the gun or giving an accuracy producing sight picture.

Thanks

This is an important thread to everyone here in the Saiga forums that owns a 308. Perhaps your reloading and optics questions would be better servered in their own thread, rather than hijacking this one. :D

we weren't that close on the estimated shipping date either :haha: , maybe the short fall & the shipping delays should cancel each other out in consideration for the guys who had faith in FBMG and pre-payed months ago to help fund the R&D on this project.

That would be the difference between average companies customer relations and an exceptional company , IMHO.

Regardless, it seems that FBMG is the only company that stepped up to do something about the situation.

I'm happy with a few 8 round mags (I'm a Garand shooter too), and I'm converting some to 10 round mags.

I'll be tickled shitless when the 20-round mags arrive. Meanwhile, not many of us are really suffering because they didn't arrive on our doorstep yet.

I'm just glad someone's willing to put forth the effort. I don't mind waiting.

I received a 2nd pair of pre-production magazine bodies today from FBMG. Unlike the first set, these are a bit wider and the follower runs smooth as hell through the full travel. They are perfect. The rounds are held tight against the underside of the lips from round #1 to round #20.

The base plates also fit dead nuts on the money. The only issue is the base retaining plate. It is still a hair too wide even in the new mag bodies. We are going to scrap the batch of 600 pieces and rerun them.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

I was lucky enough to get in on the pre-order along with some of the other members here. I don't mind the wait as I believe the end product will be well worth it. All kudos to FBMG for sticking their financial necks out on this product and providing the only viable path to reasonable hi capacity magazines for this great gun. All those involved in this project have my personal thanks for their efforts!

Carry on.

I was lucky enough to get in on the pre-order along with some of the other members here. I don't mind the wait as I believe the end product will be well worth it. All kudos to FBMG for sticking their financial necks out on this product and providing the only viable path to reasonable hi capacity magazines for this great gun. All those involved in this project have my personal thanks for their efforts!

Carry on.

Sorry, but I must object.

8-rounds is low capacity.

20-rounds is normal capacity.

Carry on! :haha:

In light of our new "Political Situation" are you guys stepping up production?

We were going as fast as we could before. :)

The first magazine bodies are done and we will begin filling orders in the order that they were placed.

Edited by Correia

In light of our new "Political Situation" are you guys stepping up production?

We were going as fast as we could before. :)

The first magazine bodies are done and we will begin filling orders in the order that they were placed.

I think you misunderstood me and rereading my post, I see it wasn't too clear.

Now that the libs hold power, are you guys stepping up "overall production". I don't mean are you speeding up your current production.

I guess what I am asking is are you guys planning on really gearing up to make an assload of these babies in leiu of another high cap magazine ban? Has this effected the overall quantity you were planning on making?

Edited by Vermiform

No, we do not anticipate a gun ban of any kind until they get someone in the White House. A gun ban now would be the quickest way to ensure they lost the election. Especially considering what they tried to float last term. With them holding the majority now they would probably not be able to control their impulses and would go all out. And you can count on an outright ban with no grand-fathering or transfer. So why make more product we would have to destroy?

So no, we are not changing the way we do things.