Saiga Case Ejection Issue

Hi Guys,

Was at the range two weeks ago, well I would be there today but it's raining in Auckland. Shit.

I was trying reloads & found that the reduction in powder loads, that the bullet case when ejected was damaged less than with higher powder loads. 1 example 24 grains ADI 2206 powder there was near no damage but when using 26 grains it was clearly damaged.

2 With the 24 grains or less that the bullet case was ejected 1 to 2 feet beside me. Instead of the case going 20 to 30 feet & I can not find it.

Question, I need 26 grains powder to be accurate at 100 yards. Can the gas tube be ported so that it would reduce the punch of the piston ( Speed of the piston backwards )

Thanks Guys

Stu

Edited by Stuart2
Hi Guys,

Was at the range two weeks ago, well I would be there today but it's raining in Auckland. Shit.

I was trying reloads & found that the reduction in powder loads, that the bullet case when ejected was damaged less than with higher powder loads. 1 example 24 grains ADI 2206 powder there was near no damage but when using 26 grains it was clearly damaged.

2 With the 24 grains or less that the bullet case was ejected 1 to 2 feet beside me. Instead of the case going 20 to 30 feet & I can not find it.

Question, I need 26 grains powder to be accurate at 100 yards. Can the gas tube be ported so that it would reduce the punch of the piston ( Speed of the piston backwards )

Thanks Guys

Stu

stronger spring?

Well, I'm not sure on the current comfiguration of your rifle, but the AK-100 series of rifles do have ported gas tubes. 4 ports on the left, and 4 on the right of the gas tube. I suppose in theory, that if your current gas tube is unvented you will have more recoil than you would with a vented tube.

take a look in the tech section. was browsing through there earlier today and i remember seeing a link to a gas tube porting tutorial. Its super simple, made even easier if you have access to a drill press. I ported mine a while ago. I went with bigger than normal holes but only did three on each side. I didnt really notice a difference in felt recoil, but it does help keep the gas system much cleaner and runs much cooler.

Go ahead, give it a try. If it doesnt do anything to help your ejection problems, atleast it will run cooler and ease the cleaning process...

....that is, ofcourse, if you clean yours. You dont have to clean AKs right??? :lol:

take a look in the tech section. was browsing through there earlier today and i remember seeing a link to a gas tube porting tutorial. Its super simple, made even easier if you have access to a drill press. I ported mine a while ago. I went with bigger than normal holes but only did three on each side. I didnt really notice a difference in felt recoil, but it does help keep the gas system much cleaner and runs much cooler.

Go ahead, give it a try. If it doesnt do anything to help your ejection problems, atleast it will run cooler and ease the cleaning process...

....that is, ofcourse, if you clean yours. You dont have to clean AKs right??? :lol:

Hi there,

Have you a photo of the gas port that you ported? a close up photo.

Could not find anything about how to port the gas tube on this website. Can you say what drill size you used? maybe it was 1.5mm or? any info would help

thanks

Stu

Is there a way to make the gas system adjustable??? I think that would be kind of nice to have.

I'm searching around the internet to see if there is anything that I can put on the gas block to control flow, adjustable valve.

What I have studied so far is that the control of the gas must be at the gas block not the tube as the pressure is greatest at the top of the pistion ( gas block ) that's if you are wanting to control the piston speed ( pressure )

Something like a bike tyre valve but adjustable with the gas flow.

See picture

Stu

post-803-1157864367.jpg

Edited by Stuart2

Try the needle and seat for an old 12HP Briggs and stratton engine. If this could be put into the front of the gasblock, you could adjust that sucker to put all of the empties in a coffeecan!

This is from a high vibration application, so it should hold up well. Also it can be shut comltetly off so the piston is always capable of full power.