.223 saiga feed with bulgarians and orlites

hey, vjor, it seems only fitting to let you test one of these out(since you gave me the idea). How would you feel about trying one of these out in your gun? I'd probably make it without a hole drilled in it, because I think your hole is a little further forward than mine was. so, all you'd have to do is drill a hole and countersink it to the screw you have. what do ya think?

hey, vjor, it seems only fitting to let you test one of these out(since you gave me the idea). How would you feel about trying one of these out in your gun? I'd probably make it without a hole drilled in it, because I think your hole is a little further forward than mine was. so, all you'd have to do is drill a hole and countersink it to the screw you have. what do ya think?

OK I will be honored to have one of your bullet guides on my gun.

But the law of equal exchange says that you exchange something

for something, can be money or other object, in that case

do you have any galil mags? I just got a few more and if you want a couple

I will glade to exchange them for your guide.

That will be only fair for the time spent making the guide.

PM me is you ok with the trade or

here my e-mail, vjor40@bellsouth.net

Edited by vjor

I saw your message on the previous page, thanks for replying. I found a post on ar15.com from a guy that has galil mags feeding using a section of water pipe. I assume thats what I'll need for a round cut receiver.

It seems the common characteristic for getting galil orlite mags to work is having a ramp that extends all the way to the mag.

It seems the common characteristic for getting galil orlite mags to work is having a ramp that extends all the way to the mag.

I've been meaning to put together one of Vjor's bullet guides for a couple of weeks, but work (plus a problematic AMD-65 build, plus an unplanned AR build) left no time for it. If Angrydutchman or Dinzag have a chance to offer a bullet guide for the 'cut' receiver, that will work reliably with Galil Orlites, I would DEFINITELY be honored to purchase one.

(I did break loose enough time to thread the muzzle of my Saiga. I've done quite a few other rifles, but man, those Ruskies seem to have come up with some of the world's toughest barrel steel. I'm definitely impressed! My mill bastard file had a real hard time with it, and I had to apply some muscle to the 1/2x28 die to make headway. Got it done, though, and the US-made AK-74-type brake looks great! ;>)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
...dremmel the trunion lug bottoms down to standard length so you don't have to mod the front of the mags. Also dremmel a ramp at the chamber opening bottom. Then, you have a gun that can share .223 mags with all other .223 AKs in the world. I have several nations' .223 AKs.

FWIW, I agree with you in principle. (Please don't forget that: I'm not disagreeing with you.) It would definitely be nice to be able to say that 'My AK "can share .223 mags with all other .223 AKs in the world." ' (I'm not sure if that's actually possible, based on what I've read, but if it is, it sounds like an excellent idea.)

In a purely practical sense, though, I must ask: how many different kinds of 5.56 AK mags are you going to actually own, if you're not a 'collector?' I'll admit it: I'm a certifiable WECSOG 'gun nut' (I've built multiple FALs, AKs, and ARs). Guess what? I've never even seen a Bulgy 5.56 mag, and the last Chicom 5.56 mag I actually saw was before the '94 assault weapons ban, when they weren't $50-$75 or more each. It's just my opinion, but I'm sure as heck not going to mail order (or bid on) any of the expensive 5.56 AK mags at current prices.

On the other hand, I've got more like-new Galil Orlite mags than I'll ever need, because I picked them up at $5 a piece. (How about that? Like-new, military 5.56 mags for $5 each! God bless America!) And $10 a piece (for NIB Galil Orlites) from our favorite distributor still beats any price I've ever seen for any other 'flavor' of 5.56 AK mag, any time, any where.

If you're a perfectionist, or think your life might someday depend on the ability to pick up a random mag out of the mud & jam it into your rifle (good luck, and God bless you, especially if you've got a 5.56 AK, and think you're likely to find a 5.56 AK mag sitting in the mud some where), then go for "the gun that can share .223 mags with all other .223 AKs in the world." If not, I would suggest (especially for those on a budget) that you build a rifle that will take the mags that you can actually afford to buy (& keep multiple spares), to feed it. If Chicom 5.56 mags start going for $5 or $10 a piece, I might become a big fan of Chicom mags. (I hope it happens!) In any case, I would suggest that you do not depend on random chance for your mags. Build a rifle that can use the most economical & reliable 5.56 AK mags available, and buy a BUNCH of 'em. It's as simple as that...

Obviously, YMMV, caveat emptor, do not fold, spindle, or mutilate, and "after unpacking annihilate this paper"...

• 2 weeks later...
Side note on the bullet guides, I'll start running some this week.

Thanks for the bullet guide, dinzag! Got it installed last weekend (no problems). Ran about 100 rounds through the Saiga, using 5 different Galil mags (3 Orlites & 2 steel), and functioning was 100% reliable. Not a single failure to feed!

Thanks again to vjor for the idea, and angrydutchman for the refined design, and dinzag for making the bullet guides available to builders!

(Remember: support your local WECSOG parts supplier! ;>)

• 4 weeks later...
Side note on the bullet guides, I'll start running some this week.

Thanks for the bullet guide, dinzag! Got it installed last weekend (no problems). Ran about 100 rounds through the Saiga, using 5 different Galil mags (3 Orlites & 2 steel), and functioning was 100% reliable. Not a single failure to feed!

Thanks again to vjor for the idea, and angrydutchman for the refined design, and dinzag for making the bullet guides available to builders!

(Remember: support your local WECSOG parts supplier! ;>)

I had to resurrect this post. haven't been able to get on the forums lately, And it's good to see the flat cut trunnion folks now have a few more options since I last read. Dinzag, I gotta say, your machining skills are way pirtyer(yeah, I know it's a made up word) than mine. I am gonna have to buy one. mine looks pretty sad compared to your guide. oh, and a off the topic of guides, nice one on the HG retainer too. good to see we don't have to buy it from tapco anymore.

...dremmel the trunion lug bottoms down to standard length so you don't have to mod the front of the mags. Also dremmel a ramp at the chamber opening bottom. Then, you have a gun that can share .223 mags with all other .223 AKs in the world. I have several nations' .223 AKs.

FWIW, I agree with you in principle. (Please don't forget that: I'm not disagreeing with you.) It would definitely be nice to be able to say that 'My AK "can share .223 mags with all other .223 AKs in the world." ' (I'm not sure if that's actually possible, based on what I've read, but if it is, it sounds like an excellent idea.)

In a purely practical sense, though, I must ask: how many different kinds of 5.56 AK mags are you going to actually own, if you're not a 'collector?' I'll admit it: I'm a certifiable WECSOG 'gun nut' (I've built multiple FALs, AKs, and ARs). Guess what? I've never even seen a Bulgy 5.56 mag, and the last Chicom 5.56 mag I actually saw was before the '94 assault weapons ban, when they weren't $50-$75 or more each. It's just my opinion, but I'm sure as heck not going to mail order (or bid on) any of the expensive 5.56 AK mags at current prices.

On the other hand, I've got more like-new Galil Orlite mags than I'll ever need, because I picked them up at $5 a piece. (How about that? Like-new, military 5.56 mags for $5 each! God bless America!) And $10 a piece (for NIB Galil Orlites) from our favorite distributor still beats any price I've ever seen for any other 'flavor' of 5.56 AK mag, any time, any where.

If you're a perfectionist, or think your life might someday depend on the ability to pick up a random mag out of the mud & jam it into your rifle (good luck, and God bless you, especially if you've got a 5.56 AK, and think you're likely to find a 5.56 AK mag sitting in the mud some where), then go for "the gun that can share .223 mags with all other .223 AKs in the world." If not, I would suggest (especially for those on a budget) that you build a rifle that will take the mags that you can actually afford to buy (& keep multiple spares), to feed it. If Chicom 5.56 mags start going for $5 or $10 a piece, I might become a big fan of Chicom mags. (I hope it happens!) In any case, I would suggest that you do not depend on random chance for your mags. Build a rifle that can use the most economical & reliable 5.56 AK mags available, and buy a BUNCH of 'em. It's as simple as that...

Obviously, YMMV, caveat emptor, do not fold, spindle, or mutilate, and "after unpacking annihilate this paper"...

No problem, dude. However, like me, many of us own Romy .223s as well as the Saiga, and many of us also own VEPRs and, as youy stated, Chicoms.

There is also the SHTF scenarios that many of us with families, and those without, that will want to be able to use any and all mags that you come across. That's the reason that I, and many others, use a .223 AK for anyhow. The legendary AK reliability and low maintenance PLUS the availability of the "found on the ground" .223 ammo availability and firepower. If your Saiga uses specialized, gun-specific mags, then, if you lose or damage your mags, or find other factory .223 AK mags, you are SOL. By the same token, if you find another .223 AK, then your modded mags will be extremely floppy and unreliable. But, I apppreciate your view. I hear 'ya, and I also appreciate your not disagreeing with my philosophy o the issue! We can all share here. That's the beauty of theis site, bro!

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
I agree, that is really nice looking! You could sell those. I made one like Vjors and it works great, but thats

a quality looking piece.

Thanks. I hadn't even thought about making them to sell...but now that you mention it.. :)

I guess if there was enough interest in them, I might make a stab at it.

I dont quite understand why galil mags, I have 2 30 round steel mags bought at ammo king here in Anchorage under $30 each and they work very well. One other thing, is there a way to make bolt stay open after last round is fired? Thanks Guys and God Bless you all. Gene