filler for buttstock

Wheel weights, old slugs from the backstop, or scrap nuts and bolts, mix with silicon caulk and pour in the butstock. First try the weight to find the right weight and balance, and make shure the mix will stay where you want it untill it sets.

Just food for thought. . .On my new '06 S-12, I am trying to keep it about a couple of pounds (or more, if I can) lighter than my '00 S-12 from a few of years ago. In terms of balance, I would look to DECREASE the weight of the front end, rather than making the back end heavier as if it was a Rem 700 bull barrel sniper rifle. Remember, if tactical competition is something you are considering, or even hunting, that sucker CAN get REAL heavy, real quick. Minimal barrel length, plus milling the forend to the max will help the balance from the other perspective: lightening, instead of heavying. That's my new direction, and after running a near 10 lb shotty (with 18 rds of bird or buck shot in two clamped mags), my arms are telling me to go the other way. Just my 2 cents, bro. Good luck, and good shooting, either way you want to go!

After reading this I thought of something I wanted to ask.

If you used something like silicone that is still pretty flexible like what they use for movie masks and molds and kinda layered it with just a little lead shot wouldn't that help to dampen the recoil as well.

I know the extra weight will help but wouldn't the silicone help to absorb some of the shock.

Not sure if it would really help but wanted to check.

So has anyone determined what the optimum amount of weight is to add? Has anyone compaired the weight of the wood Saiga stock to the poly one? I really like the feel of my .308's wood stock and the recoil is hardly felt for a rifle of that caliber. It will be perfect for the S-12. :smoke: