RSB Conversion Work In Progress

Got my RSB and gas tube from K-Var this week and I was bored this weekend so I decided to start on my RSB conversion on the S12. Still need to have some final welding done to fully secure the RSB to the barrel, got a friend who's going to TIG it on for me. A lot left to do but here are some pictures of it so far:

post-2833-1158565148_thumb.jpg

post-2833-1158565172_thumb.jpg

post-2833-1158565185_thumb.jpg

post-2833-1158565197_thumb.jpg

post-2833-1158565207_thumb.jpg

post-2833-1158565218_thumb.jpg

post-2833-1158565225_thumb.jpg

post-2833-1158565233_thumb.jpg

post-2833-1158565244_thumb.jpg

Damn gas tube was a pain in the ass. The hardest parts were deciding on overall length and how to shape the connecting end to fit the RSB.It was especially difficult with how the thing is constructed, the length of a upper handguard is almost exactly what the gap is between the gas block and the rear sight block minus the size of the connecting end piece of the gas tube of course. It's been interesting, looking at how many things match up in dimensions, how close all kalashnikov designs are to one another. The biggest pain overall I would say has been putting the front retainer on the tube being as it sits right at the very end of the tube and it was never designed to work that way.

Yeah, my uppers on the S-20 & S-12 had to be sanded to fit. Just a teeny bit. I welded the retainer on and then ground back almost flush with the front of the retainer. Then I shortened the rear of the tube to fit and welded the rear retainer on. FYI, the Yugo AK RSB's fit the S-12 widthwise and are a tad shorter front to back. AKM ones are perfect for the 410's & 20's width-wise.

Azkamidaka, actually there is a big performance increase, due to the the coolness factor! IMO :up:

Game, zombies, looters, etc are clearly distracted by the aura of coolness surrounding the gun.

You would think time actually slows down. (think Matrix) :smoke:

Improved sights is a help, but Jeric' Tactical Mag Release and Auto LRBHO are the 2 biggest performance mods available. Those can all be added to any S-12.

I did mine for the coolness factor!

Will it merely change cosmetics (unlikely :haha: )

I gotta pipe up here too... I think that when this is done, sanded, repainted, and finished with some good wood... this S12 is going to knock your socks off! :up: :up:

Just look at Cobra's S12 and Dinzag's 410.... GORGEOUS examples of what can be done to a Saiga!!

:smoke:

I move that there be a RSB/gas tube conversion how-to thread in the Important Topics section.

Ill secound that nomination all in favor say I

I'll work on that, will have to figure out a better way to do the gas tube though, the front retainer is the biggest pain in the ass to get on there right. I may have to just fabricate a front retainer out of sheet metal that will work better.