x39 or x51

Buy both - magazine deal is better for the X39 as no one has yet seen a 20 round 308 mag except purported prototypes. Check Arms of America - www.ArmsofAmerica.com for good prices on Saigas. They start at $289.

I'm leaning toward the .308 unless someone can talk me out of it. Also who has a good deal on the .308

To me, it really boils down to what you want the round to do. x39 is an intermediate power cartridge and is totally adequate for civvie defensive use. 308 is a main battle rifle cartridge and will shoot farther, more accurately and through stuff.

I personally won't be get a 308 until the 20 round mags are available.

Wow. Good thing we don't all have to have our screen name reflect our looks - mine would be oldfatdad or something. studmuff? lool Enjoy it while it lasts son! :)

Anyway - as to the x39 vs x51, I would say that if this is your first AK type rifle purchase, I would suggest the 7.62x39 variety. If its not, then go for the .308. For a lot of reasons.

Okay oldfatdad, I mean O.S.O.K. I just got a .223 about 10 days ago and I'm hooked, but I'd like to hear some of the reasons just so I feel better about dropping the coin.

As for me and my house I say .308 The reason being if you are limited to semi-auto you might as well send the biggest "Fetching" round down your barrel. For Example 150grain FMJ. More Powder= More Power Duh

Wow. Good thing we don't all have to have our screen name reflect our looks - mine would be oldfatdad or something. studmuff? lool Enjoy it while it lasts son! :)

Anyway - as to the x39 vs x51, I would say that if this is your first AK type rifle purchase, I would suggest the 7.62x39 variety. If its not, then go for the .308. For a lot of reasons.

LOL thanks old man :P we all get our chance i guess. I try to suck every bit out of life while i can. :up:

I't is really a personal thing. i think once you get one, you might just get the other but it really depends on what you are going to be using the gun for. a x39 still has a lot of power not as much as the 308 but if you haven't shot one yet, you might just be suprised. but whata re you going to be doing with this gun ? mabey you should get the .308 since you already have the .223

I bought both myself. $199 and $219 when I bought. Both are fun.

i just went to the local gun shop the other day and he had a new .223 for $299, a new 308 for $399 and the 20 was $359 i would never pay that much but im sure he sells them

Edited by studmuff1228

The prices on Saiga's are rediculos--they are worth a LOT more, but I am cheep and bargain shop. That said, get anX39 if you are plinking/brush hunting(under100yd.) or urban survival rifle. Get the S-.308 if you are into targets 100yd. or further, hunting deer sized animals at 100yd. or longer, or suburban/rural survival rifle.

Which ever you buy, save up and buy the other also, they get lonely without company. It's a little known

fact that lone Saiga's are more tempermental, and not as well adjusted as those from larger "familys"!

Don't forget their shottie cousins !

well the one draw back to being young is i don't have any money, being in college and all i can't work much and when i do it's for pennies. When i get the money i will be buying up a storm of saigas and ak kits. Intill then i just have to keep my fingers crossed and pray that i will still be able to collect these firearms as i have wish i could for so long

thats y i worry

Edited by studmuff1228
well the one draw back to being young is i don't have any money, being in college and all i can't work much and when i do it's for pennies. When i get the money i will be buying up a storm of saigas and ak kits. Intill then i just have to keep my fingers crossed and pray that i will still be able to collect these firearms as i have wish i could for so long

thats y i worry

RIFLE:

If I were a student on a budget, I would start with the x39 because it's cheaper and the mags are cheaper.

WEB GEAR:

You can get a 3 Mag Chinese Chest Pouch for about $10.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS701-45529-2714.html

And a 5 Mag Chinese Shoulder Strap Pouch for about $8.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG187-48033-2714.html

Buy 9 mags eventually and you are very well set.

You can keep 1 mag in the well and 3 in the Chest Pouch. That is 120 rounds in loaded mags in an acceptably light rig.

The Shoulder Strap Pouch makes another 5 loaded mags available and it is easy to sling on or off as the situation dictates. You can use it as a 'stand alone' or as an adjunct to the Chest Pouch.

AMMO:

I would keep at least 1,000 in ammo cans or spam cans as a SHTF supply.

I prefer USGI ammo cans since they are resealable and you can get into them in a hurry.

For comparatively little money, you will have quite a serious set-up and you can always build your collection from there.

IMO, the x39 round is nothing to sneeze at.

Edited by Oswald2001

Im not really that interested in a x39 saiga b/c i can just get ak kits, i might get one some day but it is down on my list. I really want 1 or 2 .223's and the same goes for the .308. Shot guns mabey, but im not a bunny gun fan. i want a few different ak kits too, i do have 2 romy g's i bought in the beginning of the summer b/c i was afraid of them drying up. I would like to get 2 more of them mabey 3 so i can build different guns like that 9mm ak people have been putting togther, and mabey one that shoots that 7.62 pistol round (i have been toying with the idea of loading them with the 30 cal to 22 cal sabots you can get) other than that i would like to get 2 hungarian kits and 1 or 2 5.45x39 polish kits. So i have my work cut out for me. O yea i want 2 romak-3's b/c they are kick ass ( i will probably get them as a kit as well)

I like guns, i don't feel the need to get them b/c i feel i might have to protect myself someday. I like to build them and so on, it's a hobby, insted of toying with cars i like to toy with guns, although im a pritty good mechanic too. I just hate how most people think of a person who has an assult rifle as a person who is a threat to others. Honistly if someone came in my house i would rather grab them by the neck and drag them outside than try to "defend" myself with one of my guns.

Hello, friends

I fear the ammo may be the "weak link" in AWB legislation. There may be too many weapons out there to control, but if they elect to restrict ammo sales, well....Of course, we all know, enough ammo is never enough, sooooo..

JMHO,

Guido2 in Houston

(Zombies and ROOFIES!!!)

I have an x39 and it's a good gun! but I'm thinking I might want to add a .308 to my collection. The truth is my arsenal right now is more that sufficient for any eventuality. Still I keep thinking I neeed ad .308.

I remember when I was a stud, now I have three kids and have switched to shooting blanks.

I have two x39s and one .308. I intend to buy at least three more .308s one backup one each for my two sons and possibly another for my future son-in-law if he ever gets off his ass and makes an honest woman of my daughter.

I think there's going to be a change of management in DC, better buy all you can, while you can. So buy some of each.

DaGroner-

You need to let that young man KNOW that you have 2 X-.39s and a .308. Then tell him it's time to make an honest woman of your daughter!

Edited by G O B

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Oct 4 2006, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DaGroner-

You need to let that young man KNOW that you have 2 X-.39s and a .308. Then tell him it's time to make an honest woman of your daughter!

Oh he knows. We go shooting quite a bit. I'm also his boss so I have other leverage as well. :smoke:

But seriously...he's not the one delaying this thing. My daughter is the foot dragger.