Advice on an inexpensive scope.

I don't need anything fancy, just cheap durable and with adjustable magnification.

What say ye?

I've been using a 2-7x32 BSA airgun scope on my S308 for a few months now and it's doing fine. Probably 150 rounds through the Saiga with it, another couple hundred when I had it on an FAL and several thousand while on various airguns. It's done pretty darn well for a $35 scope. For practical purposes the main difference between an airgun scope and a firearm scope is the range of parallax adjustment. Airgun scopes ussually focus down to 10 yards or less.

I had a Leupold compact 3-9 that I tried on it originally, but the range of adjustment didn't allow it to work with the Saiga. The BSA, while cheap, has nearly twice the range of adjustment as the Leupold. This is something that you seriously need to consider if you're going to be using the optics rail. Both the rails and the mounts ussually point slightly askew and you need a scope with a wide enough range of adjustment to correct for this. Big turrets are a good thing.

This is for a S308 right? So since you have a side rail, get a PSOP 4x - http://www.freedomoptics.com/comersus/stor...p?idProduct=105

I'd like to use it on my .223 until I get my .308.

What are the differences in this scope as compared to the PO 3-9 x 40 that freedomoptics sells for $69??

Obviously the PO is adjustable and the POSP has the AK style mount allready attached. Those differences aside what are the other differences?

Is one of these more durable than the other? It seems the PO with the adjustable magnification would be better for long range shots, true?

This is for a S308 right? So since you have a side rail, get a PSOP 4x - http://www.freedomoptics.com/comersus/stor...p?idProduct=105

I'd like to use it on my .223 until I get my .308.

What are the differences in this scope as compared to the PO 3-9 x 40 that freedomoptics sells for $69??

Obviously the PO is adjustable and the POSP has the AK style mount allready attached. Those differences aside what are the other differences?

Is one of these more durable than the other? It seems the PO with the adjustable magnification would be better for long range shots, true?

I'd have to go look at the features on the PO scope, but the PSOP has an illuminated reticle for one. It also has a range fining reticle and is calibrated for the 7.62x54 (which is a very close match to the 7.62 NATO). As mentioned, it has the mount attached too. Once zeroed, you can adjust windage and elevation with the adjustment knobs. It is basically the standard for the AKM.

I don't need anything fancy, just cheap durable and with adjustable magnification.

What say ye?

ssually focus down to 10 yards or less.

I had a Leupold compact 3-9 that I tried on it originally, but the range of adjustment didn't allow it to work with the Saiga. The BSA, while cheap, has nearly twice the range of adjustment as the Leupold. This is something that you seriously need to consider if you're going to be using the optics rail. Both the rails and the mounts ussually point slightly askew and you need a scope with a wide enough range of adjustment to correct for this. Big turrets are a good thing.

Just buy millet adjustable rings.

steve

no offense, but i gave 4 chances for nc star to work, including a spotting scope, no go at this station. for the push pull recoil effect of a semi, go find an air rifle designed scope, they wont be fabulous, but they will be good for punishment.

Edited by rangerruck

Why does everyone want really crappy optics!? Not to be unreasonable about wanting to save money but.....if you spend about 150 you can get a bushnell elite 3200 tactical scope, heard its very very good for the money. Heck, you can even get a Nikon 3-9x for about 120 if you know how to find deals.

While I usually agree that to a significant extent you get what you pay for, I think some of the "name" scopes are overpriced. I think the Simmons I recommended would outperform many Leupolds at a fraction of the cost. Hold the flames please, I've looked through my son's $1200 Leupold 4-12X Tactical and I wasn't at all impressed. No doubt it is far more rugged but I don't dump my guns on the ground either. So, I think you can get fine optics at a modest price. Bushnell Elites and Weaver Grand Slams have excellent reputations both bargains compared with many. Don

Though it doesn't fit the image of the saiga as well as the russian made scopes, I've found that the tasco 5-20 by 50mm is a great scope for around a hundred bucks. The 20 x might seem like huge magnification at first, but you can really pick out targets from quite a distance and make the most of the 308 round. At the 5x setting there's still a good field of view close in due to the 50mm lens. I think chuck hawks or gunblast (or one of the online zines) did a compare of the tasco vs some significantly more expensive models and the tasco won hands down.

It greatly depends on what your intent of the gun is (close range or long range). Close in a red dot or 2x7 scope might be your best bet. Also check out the sportsmans guide. They have a really lousy website, but you can have them send you a catalog. They have good deals.

My $.02

While I usually agree that to a significant extent you get what you pay for, I think some of the "name" scopes are overpriced. I think the Simmons I recommended would outperform many Leupolds at a fraction of the cost. Hold the flames please, I've looked through my son's $1200 Leupold 4-12X Tactical and I wasn't at all impressed. No doubt it is far more rugged but I don't dump my guns on the ground either. So, I think you can get fine optics at a modest price. Bushnell Elites and Weaver Grand Slams have excellent reputations both bargains compared with many. Don

I tend to agree with you. About two years ago I did a side by side comparison of about a dozen different scopes including a couple of Leupolds, a Springfield Armory, a Simmons, a Bushnell, a few BSA's, a couple Tasco's and even one of those uber crappy Crosman 4x20's.

I basically took them all to my front picture window and compared them all for clarity and light gathering ability by setting them all as close to the same power as possible and trying to read or distinguish distant signs and small objects. I started in the daylight and continued on into the dusk and honestly, except for the Crosman scope, there wasn't a whole lot of difference between them. For the most part I could read the same signs and make out the same small details with the cheap scopes that I could with the pricey ones. As it got dark the scopes with small objectives and high magnification got dimmer more quickly. The Leupolds tended to be a bit more generous with their eye relief, but lowering the magnification had a MUCH greater effect. The only one of the bunch that really stood out was the Crosman. It was by far the worst in all regards.

I have noticed with cheap scopes that 1/4" clicks at 100 yards are almost always much greater than 1/4" and that the magnification and parallax adjustments are ussually less than accurate.

The only scope I've ever had fall apart on me was a Simmons.

For more money on a low-rise Belarus mount, I would go with a Burris 4x Short Mag fixed scope $177 from Midway usa. Has a small front bell and is very compact - perfect for the s308.

I've got one on order with some medium rings - need .25" rise or so if you want to have the bell over the rail, otherwise low low rings are the thing. ;)

Here's another option if you'd like a low power red dot - is 2x with 2.5 moa dot (nice and small):

truglo.jpg

Is on sale for $67 - and as you can see has the mount incorporated into the scope itself. Purports to be shock resistant "up to a 50 cal muzzle loader", waterproof and fogproof.

Edited by O.S.O.K.

I have a BSA red dot (yeh, I know its not a scope) on the very front of my ultimak rail on my sar1. I have cooked the oil out of the metal on the gun many times now, heating the optic up considerably more than once. it holds true, and I havent had to rezero it once.

I also have a cheapo NcStar rubberised fixed magnification optic on my AR, which has seen many many many rounds, quite a lot of rain, a few snowstorms, and it also holds it's zero.

as for fogging, there is a spray you can get for things like motorcycle helmet face shields, gun scopes, etc, that you spray on the lens and it will keep it from fogging and still give you a good picture.

like was said, though, you get what you pay for.

Here is the thing with cheap scopes: they are very often hit or miss.

Most of the expensive ones you know you are getting a reliable, durable piece of glass. Worth the money? Depends on how much money you have to blow. With the cheaper ones it varies from brand to brand and even (sometimes) from scope to scope.

I have a cheapo ($40) BSA variable power scope (1.5x-4x) on my saiga-308, it has held true for me through lots of firing and some rough handling. If you can't afford anything else, I'd just advise to close your eyes, pick one of the cheaper BSA models and hope you chose right.

just buy it from a place local that you can return it if it breaks.

Yeah, and don't use it for serious social work or count on it for a big hunting trip!

I prefer to spend a little more and get at least decent quality. I do understand not being made of money though and if it's all you can afford, then by all means give the cheapy one a try and leave the irons for the serious stuff.

I bought a 6.5-20X50 Barska scope from a member here in the for sale section. I was really impressed with the quality and clarity for bigass zoom scope like that for only $40 shipped (used but in condition price).

I posted about it once saying how happy I was with it. Then I took it to the range and shot a few mags full out of my Saiga .308. The next time I went to adjust it the magnification ring was hard to turn and would only adjust from 6.5 to about 12X! WTF!!!

With a name like Barska I assumed it was Russian or similar but after researching some I found out they are made in China.

Has anyone else had any dealings with them? am I gonna have to send this damned thing to China to have it fixed? :unsure: