US Manufactured Saiga 20-Round HiCap Magazine Review

All,

I received two additional magazine bodies from FBMG to finish my review.

Decided not to go to the Troy Ohio Fish & Game, and just take a short trip to the Spring Valley Range. Although Spring Valley is a very nice range, I don't normally go there due to the "Range Nazis" when it comes to rapid firing, etc.

Anyway, the weather was beautiful.....cold with sunshine, around 35 degrees with a light wind. I got set up and took my time. I decided to warm up the Saiga .308 rifle with a couple of loads out of the factory 8-Round magazine. This would serve two purposes:

1. To warm up the AK to optimum operating conditions.

2. To demonstrate the functionality of the rifle itself, and to ensure nothing was mechanically wrong.

Saiga-04.jpg

Saiga-05.jpg

The rifle functioned flawlessly with the factory 8-Round magazine (total of two mags run through the weapon), so I was ready to move on to the 20-Round FBMG magazines. The mag internals from the 8-Round Saiga magazine were removed and they slid right into the FBMG 20-Round HiCap magazine. I easily loaded 10 rounds and fired the weapon with no malfunctions.

I moved on to loading 20 rounds into the magazine and was ready to "feel" any trouble around the 11th or 12th round loaded (this is where the previous problem was identified by FBMG). The rounds went in smoothly, and no problems were noticed...all rounds loaded easily.

Saiga-06.jpg

Saiga-07.jpg

Loading 20 rounds into the FBMG 20-Round HiCap Magazine

(15 Megabytes)

With rounds loaded, I was ready to begin the test firing. 20 rounds easily cycled through the weapon. I ran a total of 60 rounds through the first magazine.

Shooting 20 rounds through the first FBMG 20-Round HiCap Magazine

(21 Megabytes)

I did a quick change on the mag internals to the second 20-round magazine body, and again...the weapon functioned flawlessly. A total of 60 rounds was run through the second magazine.

Saiga-10.jpg

Saiga-09.jpg

Shooting 20 rounds through the second FBMG 20-Round HiCap Magazine

(17 Megabytes)

Saiga-11.jpg

So....let me finish and complete this review by saying "Congratulations" to James Bunten and the crew at FBMG for all their hard work to make this project a success. It's taken some time but the end result is well worth it. I'm confident that all who purchase the FBMG 20-Round HiCap Magazine will be thoroughly satisfied with the appearance and functionality of this magazine.

Troy Deaton

aka Krinkfreak

Edited by Krinkfreak
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious Krinkfreak, I only counted 19 shots... I'm betting they get a lttle stiff towards that 19th and 20th round.

Did you happen to notice if you actually got 20 rounds in the mag on your later loadings?

BTW I shoot at Spring Valley sometimes too... Maybe I'll see you there sometime.

I might have to check out Troy Ohio Fish & Game sometime. Especially if there a little more flexible about rapid fire.

Just curious Krinkfreak, I only counted 19 shots... I'm betting they get a lttle stiff towards that 19th and 20th round.

I noticed this too, but was afraid to ask. I figured there was a spcific reason why he had only loaded 19 rounds into the mag, and that the answer would just make me feel stupid.

Will these mags be available to us poor slobs that didn't get in on the pre-order?

Lifer

Yes of course - just go to FBMG's site and check it out - you just need to pay a higher amount. The pre-order was a trade-off of sorts - we that participated helped to fund the front-end development and investment and in return, got a really nice discount. Fair trade IMHO. Especially now that they are almost ready to ship :D :D :D :D :D

I noticed this too, but was afraid to ask. I figured there was a spcific reason why he had only loaded 19 rounds into the mag, and that the answer would just make me feel stupid.

I did not even notice the number of rounds, you're absolutely correct!! I ran each mag with 20 (so I thought). Guess I will be going to the range again this weekend! :-)

Troy

I did not even notice the number of rounds, you're absolutely correct!! I ran each mag with 20 (so I thought). Guess I will be going to the range again this weekend! :-)

Troy

I counted 20 rounds in the video with you loading the mag..

Tried to order but told "cart is empty" any ideas what caused this?

Hopefully they can still be ordered.

Hmmm... If you go through the page, click on the mags, go to the mag page, add them to your shopping cart, and then check out, it should work fine. Orders have been coming in consistently.