.410 to .444 Marlin conversion

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at the other "big bore" alternatives (.50 Beowulf, .458 SOCOM, et al.) and the S-444 is looking better all the time.

Yea, I was thinking "Why the 444?". Then I got to thinking. Factory ammo is readily available and it is a very versitile handloading round. Bullets and brass are cheap and plentifull. Now I am thinking that the 444 would be a nice round to have in a Saiga.

Any more news yet? I'm still planning to "find/hide" the cash for one if it works. ;)

I've been looking at the other "big bore" alternatives (.50 Beowulf, .458 SOCOM, et al.) and the S-444 is looking better all the time.

I thought that too. $20 a box isn't great, but I do believe it's more powerful than 50 Beowulf and a heck of a lot cheaper than 458 SOCOM. Plus the specs of S-410 are much better suited than most of us would think, making it far more cost effective than what it would take to do an AK in those other rounds or at least the SOCOM.

The whole idea is to get back on target quickly, verry quickly. A scout gun's scout gun. 10 round mags-Big lead on target now - followed by as many more as needed QUICKLY!. I like this for the back-up or for an "adventurin'"" gun. A flash hider could be substituded in states where they are allowed. The politicians in Annapolis are SCARED of EVIL flashhiders and won't allow them here.

Just a quick question.... Could it not be done with the 454 casull or 45LC, seeing how theres pistols that shoot the 410 and 45LC, and 454 and 45LC. I'd like mine in 454, able to handle largest load available, but also available with BC/BS shoulder replacement insurance. :):)

Just a quick question.... Could it not be done with the 454 casull or 45LC, seeing how theres pistols that shoot the 410 and 45LC, and 454 and 45LC. I'd like mine in 454, able to handle largest load available, but also available with BC/BS shoulder replacement insurance. :):)

The .444 Marlin won't require any mods to the magazines or receiver. Trying to convert to the handgun rounds would necessitate a major overhaul.

454 Casull has higher chamber pressures than the 444 Marlin. The chamber pressures of the 444 Marlin are just right for a rifle strong enough for 7.62x39mm, which the Saiga 410 is (it's stronger than it needs to be for the sake of using standard parts.)

The 444 Marlin is just right for the Saiga-410. It seems Tony will be the first to make one, but others have had the same idea independently.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

Thanks for the answers, so evidently it won't be a shoulder buster. My 454 is hard enough to hold onto, right now my main concern is not so much hitting the bulls eye, but stopping the hand breaker from coming loose. The grips are a little large and am looking for smaller ones that I can get a firm hold on. But if the convert works, put me down for one, I'll just buy another .410 for this one.

PLEASE Santa bring me that Barrett 50, 10 round for Christmas. I've been some what good this year, yes sir, I have killed more cats than last year, BUT THEY WHERE ALL WILD. and with the 50, I can not only get the cat, but also 4-5 of the neighbors dogs, Yes Sir, they do live about 1/2 away. Oh NO SIR, that crazy crack head down there in the woods with the meth lab, I'd NEVER shoot his "kitchen". :):):):):)

Saiga does have a 30-06, but the 375 Ruger isn't a 375-06 - closer to a 375-7mm Rem Mag. I wouldn't assume automatically that the S-100 in 30-06 could be opened up to 375 safely. I've done the math of the 444 Marlin in Saiga 410 though I do believe it will work safely. I don't have a PE stamp to put on it, but short of that and peer review I'd say it's a safe enough bet to build, with the final verdict coming from real life testing in safe conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh heck. As exciting as this project sounds, I decided that I really don't need another fiearm that uses expensive, hard-to-get mags. My S-308 and two S12s are bad enough.

I still hope this is a success, but I just bought a Marlin 1895 .45-70 to take care of my big bore needs. :smoke:

Unfortunately, demand for S-12 conversions is so high right now that development projects are on hold.

We are going to do it, though...just trying to catch a breather.

Jeez Bob! I already got my S-12 back, so tell everybody else to get f---ed,and start working on the next gun I want! Well....finish Jeauxs, it would be a shame to lose

all that free advertising. :lol: :lol: just kidding :devil: I'll just do like I did with my shotty and put it out of my mind until you surprise me.

I entirely appreciate and relate to needing to take care of paying customers first.

I am, however, seriously interested in this project. Something about the way my fingers work makes me allergic to leverguns, and a 444 Saiga would serve my big bore needs. No 45-70 Marlin for me.

Same here and whenever you get around to it is fine. It just gives me that much more time to pay off Christmas.