Test Report - New HALO Handguards.

I received a pair of HALO handguards yesterday and they are identical to the pre-production unit that I have on hand. Although, the new ones and the pre-production unit fit perfectly on the older EAA guns that were used for the fit-check, it appears that the newer guns have the gas block moved rearward an additional .060". Or possibly, the gas blocks are in various positions depending on when they were built.

So if you plan to run a HALO on your newer gun, you'll have to mill/dremel back the engagment lug inside a bit, as well as move the thru hole and counter bore back a bit. It's really not enough to look screwy, just a minor annoyance. Also, when fitting them up to several guns in the shop, it's really apparent that the Russians are incapable of getting the gas blocks lined up at top dead center. They are all over the place, left and right.

Once you get the HALO on there, you can view it from the muzzle and clearly see the tweaked offset of the gas block. Get out a brass hammer and bang on the side of the block until it lines up at TDC.

Keep in mind, the problem here lies with the inconsistent gas block positioning on the guns, not the HALO design itself.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

I received a pair of HALO handguards yesterday and they are identical to the pre-production unit that I have on hand. Although, the new ones and the pre-production unit fit perfectly on the older EAA guns that were used for the fit-check, it appears that the newer guns have the gas block moved rearward an additional .060". Or possibly, the gas blocks are in various positions depending on when they were built.

So if you plan to run a HALO on your newer gun, you'll have to mill/dremel back the engagment lug inside a bit, as well as move the thru hole and counter bore back a bit. It's really not enough to look screwy, just a minor annoyance. Also, when fitting them up to several guns in the shop, it's really apparent that the Russians are incapable of getting the gas blocks lined up at top dead center. They are all over the place, left and right.

Once you get the HALO on there, you can view it from the muzzle and clearly see the tweaked offset of the gas block. Get out a brass hammer and bang on the side of the block until it lines up at TDC.

Keep in mind, the problem here lies with the inconsistent gas block positioning on the guns, not the HALO design itself.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Damnit! My Halo rail is probably just waiting for me at home while I am out of town this week. Halo told me that it was shipping last Friday. Thanks for the info Tony, good think I have a 2003 model Saiga 12. I guess it shoudn't need any love from the dremel.

It may be more relevant to what "batch" they were made in, not just the year. The two RAA guns that have the .060" gas block setback are 2000 and 2001. Unfortunately, I don't recall the year(s) of the EAA guns I used for the pre-production check fit. There are probably some RAA guns that were built before some of the EAA guns.

Furthermore, who knows if the receiver's date even matches the date of assembly. Probably not.

Tony

Edited by TonyRumore

How do I tell when my saiga was made? There is a small "01" stamped on the left side of the reciever, does that indicate 2001? Hope my rail gets here soon, im dying to see it on my gun. I hope it fits...

Edited by Azkamidaka

From the few customer calls and emails we have have received. Some have dropped right on, and some have required some work. If anyone has bought a Handguard from us. You are welcome to:

*Send in your shotgun, and we will mount it for FREE, just take care of the shipping.

*If you dont want to to deal with it, send it back un-mounted and you will be refunded.

*If you feel compentent you can mount it yourself (and perform a slight mod) you are free to do that also. The gas block should be tight against the pocket lug.

Depending on the responces in the next few days. The enitre run may be pulled and and modified. So more would not be availiable for a while. Like Tony stated earlier. The pre production models fit perfect, so were looking into a solution.

Thanks,

Halo mfg.

Mine came in today.Whoever said these were gonna be Airsoft toys is dead wrong,there built like a tank. The only problem i have is before ordering i wasnt sure if i should order the stock black anodized or pay the extra $15.00 for the black duracoat.I think i would have prefured the darker Duracoat as the anodized is more of a grey pewter finish.I plan on Duracoating it myself as i need to coat a AR15 lower and a couple AK kit guns.,Good excuse to invest in a small spray gun :angel: But now i wont be able to assemble all my new stuff till i get it coated :cryss:

100_1108.jpg

100_1110.jpg

Ok,i couldnt wait so i went ahead and installed the rail.Im glad i did because im likeing the color alot better when its on the gun..What do you think? Install was a breeze on my older EAA gun,couldnt be much easyer and everythings rock solid. A tip of my hat goes out to Halo! I still have to install the Ace rear internal reciever block,mainly because the stock seems a bit long for me and will shorten LOP over an inch.Also got to install Jerics Auto bolt hold open and extended mag release,got the new S.S tabs also in the mail today :super: so when i get time ill be finishing up.

100_1108-1.jpg

OKO Red Dot Sight

Surefire 9P Flashlight with shock proof bezil

Vltor quick realease mount

UTG foregrip

Ace stock

Fal Type grip

Edited by Pointer

now all you need is a few of those rubber rail protectors on there, and some radium sight paint! I could have nabbed a case of those tiny bottles of the stuff a couple years back and kick myself for not doing so since, almost on a weekly basis.

my offer stands to beat the shit out of one, by the way. it looks like it will hold up, but you guys know me. Ill make it fail one way or another :) even if I have to take a sledge to it, its gonna go down!

Looking good, Halo! thanks for the new product! better patent it before some schmuck beats you to it and makes you pay them to sell your own product!

I got mine today. It is definately built like a tank. I had to file a little on the rear tab of the bottom piece to get it to fit, but better too big than too small. It is now a nice and snug intererance fit. The screw hole lined up perfectly after the filing. I had to knock the rear sight out for the top, no biggie.

It is solid for sure and looks great. I was trying to get some goodies on it and take a pic, but my Tango Down vertical grip does not want to let go of my AR15 and I was running late for work. I mounted my Aimpoint on it and it clears the rear sight of the rail so I can mount the Aimpoint all the way back which I like a lot. I got the anodized as I plan to Duracoat it myslef anyways so the color does not bother me, plus I have some file marks to cover up.

Overall, I highly recommend it!

Now I need another VFG for my AR again and an EOTech for the Saiga. Anyone want to buy a Kobra (the picatinny mount one)? I don't think it is going to work out as it sits too high and too far forward on the top rail for my liking.

Thanks a lot Halo!!

Edited by epsylum
Ok,i couldnt wait so i went ahead and installed the rail.Im glad i did because im likeing the color alot better when its on the gun..What do you think? Install was a breeze on my older EAA gun,couldnt be much easyer and everythings rock solid. A tip of my hat goes out to Halo! I still have to install the Ace rear internal reciever block,mainly because the stock seems a bit long for me and will shorten LOP over an inch.Also got to install Jerics Auto bolt hold open and extended mag release,got the new S.S tabs also in the mail today :super: so when i get time ill be finishing up.

100_1108-1.jpg

OKO Red Dot Sight

Surefire 9P Flashlight with shock proof bezil

Vltor quick realease mount

UTG foregrip

Ace stock

Fal Type grip

Pointer, did you remove the sight rail before installing it? Your earlier pics with the Halo rail still show the sight rail on your Saiga. Will it fit with the sight rail in place (I wouldn't think it would).

From your pics, I wish I would have gotten the black duracoat as well so it would be darker, but we'll see how it looks on my Saiga as soon as I can get hom and try it.

Lookin great guys! Epsylum I have a Russian folding vert grip for $45. Lemme know if you are interested.

No thanks, but thanks for the offer. I like the Tango Down grip a lot. I have a dealer account with MidwayUSA (thank you C&R) and I can get another TD one there for like $43.

I think i will be posting that Kobra for sale though. I am asking $170 shipped. Again this is the one that mounts to the picatinny rail via a throw lever, not a side mount.

Pointer, did you remove the sight rail before installing it? Your earlier pics with the Halo rail still show the sight rail on your Saiga. Will it fit with the sight rail in place (I wouldn't think it would).

From your pics, I wish I would have gotten the black duracoat as well so it would be darker, but we'll see how it looks on my Saiga as soon as I can get hom and try it.

Yes the site rail must be removed.Its not that hard.At the front just turn the adjustment wheel until it comes off,at the rear drive out the pin and whack off :rolleyes: the dovetailed site holder thingy.Mine came off pretty easy hitting it towards the right.Let me know what you think of the color when you get it installed.

Edited by Pointer
I got mine today. It is definately built like a tank. I had to file a little on the rear tab of the bottom piece to get it to fit, but better too big than too small. It is now a nice and snug intererance fit. The screw hole lined up perfectly after the filing. I had to knock the rear sight out for the top, no biggie.

It is solid for sure and looks great. I was trying to get some goodies on it and take a pic, but my Tango Down vertical grip does not want to let go of my AR15 and I was running late for work. I mounted my Aimpoint on it and it clears the rear sight of the rail so I can mount the Aimpoint all the way back which I like a lot. I got the anodized as I plan to Duracoat it myslef anyways so the color does not bother me, plus I have some file marks to cover up.

Overall, I highly recommend it!

Now I need another VFG for my AR again and an EOTech for the Saiga. Anyone want to buy a Kobra (the picatinny mount one)? I don't think it is going to work out as it sits too high and too far forward on the top rail for my liking.

Thanks a lot Halo!!

Good luck with the Tango Down vertical grip,i know how tight they are on my AR15's.The UTG was VERY tight mounting to the Halo,i think the Tango will be a bear.

Good luck with the Tango Down vertical grip,i know how tight they are on my AR15's.The UTG was VERY tight mounting to the Halo,i think the Tango will be a bear.

Well I got mine together. Yeah the TD grip was a pain. It got kind of wallered out too and wiggles a tad. Oh well this one is staying on the S12 anyways.

Here it is. Now with my ARs Aimpoint until I can get an EOTech.

Saiga12-210-5-06a.jpg

Saiga1210-5-06a.jpg

I know it might not be too important to most, but I'd love to hear how the sights do, can you get a good zero from them. Occasionally you run up against a shotgun match that allows no optics and it would suck to have to remove the Halo and remount the originals ....

anyone have a handful of slugs and some range time I'd appreciate the report!!!

K,

I e-mailed Halo and asked the same thing they said that there is a way to adjust elivation but not windage. I sent a follow up e-mail requesting that they consider a windage adjustment on future rails

K,

I e-mailed Halo and asked the same thing they said that there is a way to adjust elivation but not windage. I sent a follow up e-mail requesting that they consider a windage adjustment on future rails

Yea, I'd heard that. I just want to know if std install leaves the sights close enough for the elevation to zero. That was the problem with several rail sights from the stock Saiga. Not enough adjustment to get them zero'd. Shot 6 inches low at 7 yards and got worse from there ....

I think it would be a little hard to design these to be close to zero, I'm hoping Halo proves me wrong!

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Tony. . .you can't really be suggesting to "bend" a AK gas block with any size hammer, be it rifle OR shotgun, can/are you? Repinning has always been my/anyone's rifle fix. The "bend," IF it worked, usually meant that the barrel was twisted, and that opens a whole other can of foul smelling worms. Let me know the secret, if I am wrong.

Thanks.