Test Report - New HALO Handguards.

I think tony means that the russians pressed the gas block on "skewed". meaning, you can put a wrench (or wench if she is mean enough) on it, and turn it a bit to line it back up to true vertical over the bore. the first s12 I owned had this problem, where the gas block was pressed on slightly crooked. I am not referring to the TUBE, but the BLOCK in front of the tube, where your gas adjustment is threaded into. (#1 and #2 setting). a truck wrench and a couple taps ONE WAY (no room for over-adjustment, really), shoudl line it back up, if you have a gun made by a blind man.

I would expect, due to russian "quality" control measures, that even this wont work at times.

DO NOT CRANK YOUR GAS BLOCK BY WRENCHING OVER YOUR GAS TUBE!!!!!!! YOU WILL F YOUR GUN UP!!!!!!

Ill say it. tony probably dont want to give you any ideas, being the guy he is.

dont be afraid. your kalashnakov is made to be "worked on" with a hammer......just dont overdo it, and you shoudl be ok.

Despite popular belief, those pins do not guarantee that the gas block will be lined up at TDC. Even with the pins in place, the block can be canted to either side. The same thing can/does happen with AR front sight posts. You just need to knock the block over to TDC if it's canted a bit.

Thanks for posting pics of the black anodized Halo rail. By chance, they had not shipped mine yet and they are going to duracoat it black before they ship it out. It will look much better with the duracoat.

They are really busy getting stuff made for Knob Creek but said that everything should ship out the following week.

Do they charge your credit card when they ship, or do they charge and then ship when they get a chance? They charged my card a little over a week ago and I'm wondering if I should be expecting a package soon or if it has even been shipped yet.

Do they charge your credit card when they ship, or do they charge and then ship when they get a chance? They charged my card a little over a week ago and I'm wondering if I should be expecting a package soon or if it has even been shipped yet.

They have already charged my card but haven't shipped my rail yet. They said if it hadn't arrived by yesterday (10/11/06) then they hadn't shipped it yet. You will likely have to wait at least 1-2 more weeks for the rail to even ship, they said they couldn't do anything until after the Knob Creek which ends Sunday.

Epsylum,did you get that cheek mount from ACE? I cant find them on there site anywhere,i know they used to sell them.Thought i might get one in a month or so when i order the folding mech for the stock.

Saiga12-210-5-06a.jpg

Yeah I got it from blackjackbuffers. I really am not impressed with it. It fits like crap and moves really easily. It is not on my gun any more, I was just trying to hang as much junk as I could o my gun for the pic. ;)

Thanks for posting pics of the black anodized Halo rail. By chance, they had not shipped mine yet and they are going to duracoat it black before they ship it out. It will look much better with the duracoat.

They are really busy getting stuff made for Knob Creek but said that everything should ship out the following week.

Sweet, I will be at knob creek. Hopefully I will see their booth and say hi.

I received a pair of HALO handguards yesterday and they are identical to the pre-production unit that I have on hand. Although, the new ones and the pre-production unit fit perfectly on the older EAA guns that were used for the fit-check, it appears that the newer guns have the gas block moved rearward an additional .060". Or possibly, the gas blocks are in various positions depending on when they were built.

So if you plan to run a HALO on your newer gun, you'll have to mill/dremel back the engagment lug inside a bit, as well as move the thru hole and counter bore back a bit. It's really not enough to look screwy, just a minor annoyance. Also, when fitting them up to several guns in the shop, it's really apparent that the Russians are incapable of getting the gas blocks lined up at top dead center. They are all over the place, left and right.

Once you get the HALO on there, you can view it from the muzzle and clearly see the tweaked offset of the gas block. Get out a brass hammer and bang on the side of the block until it lines up at TDC.

Keep in mind, the problem here lies with the inconsistent gas block positioning on the guns, not the HALO design itself.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Tony - when I read "test report" I was expecting a range report also. Then I remembered that you build guns first and shoot second. Thanks for the report on installation. Now, can anyone tell us that they can shoot well with the fixed sighting setup at even 50 yards? Obviously a great mount for an optic, toothbrush, lights, cameras, and any other do-dad you may have in your tactical closet. But, for 1/4 grand I would hope we could expect at least a hammer adjustable fixed sight to use with the optics also.

Looks nice, might not be hard to install even for left foot folks like myself, but where are the shooters groupings and such?

Pointer,

What does your S12 weigh all dress up?

I have no ideal.Id get on the home scales and find out but im so damed big they dont go that high :angel: Whatever a stock S-12 is..add 2-3 pounds i guess.Nothing adds much wieght exept the Rail,the stocks pretty light.I can say this,the rail and foregrip sure helps soak up some of the recoil.I put a few dozen rds thru it when i first got it.

I still lack the Surefire, but that's next on the list. Also, I'm in the market for a decent cheek mount. Epsylum, it looks like you said you weren't very happy with the yours. Do you have a better suggestion?

Nope not right now. The one I have is for the ACE stock specifically.

BTW your S12 looks freakin awesome. :super:

Sweet, I will be at knob creek. Hopefully I will see their booth and say hi.

I stopped by and introduced myself. They were really nice and helpful. I found out what I did wrong when I installed it. Basically I did not get it on %100 of the way. Looking at their sample unit, I could see what I did wrong. They said they will have new bolts for me in the mail when they get back.

The camo colors they have for their quadrails look really good. The camo patterns are very busy and and gives the piece a nice complete look.

Their .22lr minigun was pretty freakin cool too (even better when you have the sound of 7.62 miniguns going off in the background ;) ).

I did not see their 12 gauge unfortunately (in fact I forgot to ask about that).

They did confirm that they have a working 10 round S12 mag ready for production, but are in a holding pattern until they find out what is going on with the others that are in development and/or production. Which makes me have high hopes for some day having unobtainium in my hands.

Edited by epsylum