for all my 308 brothers, get it while its cheap!!!!

after talking to alot of 308 guys out there they are tired of all the high priced "commercial" 308 ammo especially soft point.

well, i got more than i'll shoot in a years time or longer, so i'll pass on the info to all.

this is the cheapest you'll ever get "commercial" 308 ammo in a soft point bullet.

not to mention that the "bear" ammo is outstanding!

i'll try to test them for expansion this week or weekend and post pics for ya'll to see.

they were johnny on the spot with the shipping. i ordered on the 19th, got the packages on the 21st.

good luck to all! get it while its still so cheap!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM690-3247-123.html

Many thanks for the heads up!

I was just about to order some corrosive ammo for about the same price from Samco, but then you posted this.

I've been wanting to try Silver Bear in the Saiga, since the x39 runs so well in my Romy AK's and Yugo SKS.

Thanks again!

Lazarus

no prob bro!

thats what we're here for, to help each other out.

all the barnaul ammo performs pretty much the same, just the different case coatings for your choosing.

i've never tested any of the barnaul soft points for expansion, but i do know that their hollow points fragment very nicely! :devil: the wolf hollow points do not expand/fragment. at least none of the ones i've tested.

good luck!

wish i had a rig to do all my own reloading.

i know it's cheap as hell that way but i really don't have to time needed to put into it.

I have the presses and dies for reloading, but only reload for handguns and an occasional few rifle rounds. I prefer to take time on each rifle round that I load. As long as they have decent practice ammo at a decent price, I won't spend that much time on rifle ammo.

ok, see i'm in louisiana and they are in texas, so my shipping was pretty decent.

the cheapest i can find 308 within driving distance (2 hours one way) is about $4.50 for fmj wolf.

the cheapest i've found silver bear soft point 308 online is around $5.00.

the cheapest soft point 308 i can find locally is about $9.00 for monarch at academy.

i paid .18 cents per round after shipping on this.

shipping is definately the determining factor.

$20.00 for shipping for 500 is pretty steep for a large company like CTD.

i pulled a bullet from one earlier. flat base, no boattail. one hell of a crimp on these babies!

good luck

ok, see i'm in louisiana and they are in texas, so my shipping was pretty decent.

shipping is definately the determining factor.

Absolutely.

You have to order large quantities if you're to come out ahead on shipping, and you still have to watch out for those who screw you on a "per dollar" shipping rate (though Cabelas often puts you ahead using that method to order bullets).

Even with shipping and taxes, I came out slightly under the price I pay for South African battle packs of .308 Win.

Edited by lazlong

Silver bear is good to go, EXCEPT if you are shootin a rifle with a tight chamber. I have several M1A's that will not eject reliably when using this ammo, the steel case expands when the chamber is hot, and sticks in the chamber..I even took the rifle to the smith to have the chamber polished using a fired case and lapping compound, and still no joy... I wound up having to pay for lots of South african surplus from Aim... :cryss:

this is just for comparison ya'll

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/am...roducts_id/1461

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog/product_...2def53ef33c86d9

the way this looks thats one reason why i jumped on $3.19.

and those prices above seem to be the norm.

flincher, how do you like that mas? i was looking hard at them awhile back. i still love the way that rifle looks! there's somethin about it, just like the fn49. just looks awesome!

good luck!

Well, looks like some of us may have jumped on it too late.

Item Backordered:

AMM-690 Ammo .308 SoftPoint 140gr 20-R

I'll treat it as I do my x39 orders and just leave it on backorder until it arrives.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll have to order another few battle packs of South African.

Well, looks like some of us may have jumped on it too late.

Item Backordered:

AMM-690 Ammo .308 SoftPoint 140gr 20-R

I'll treat it as I do my x39 orders and just leave it on backorder until it arrives.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll have to order another few battle packs of South African.

You have a source for sa battle packs, at the gun show they were 35 a pack

AIM still has the .308 battlepacks of 140 rds for $28.

I also got a notice from CheaperThanDirt that the Bear .308 was backordered but then got another email that it had shipped yesterday, so whoever got a backorder notice may want to double check with them.

Edited by tritium
You have a source for sa battle packs? at the gun show they were 35 a pack

They're also available from Poly Gun Bag (dot com) for $29.95 +shipping.

I'll order more from AIM, but just to let you know there is another source at under $30 for a pack.

I also got a notice from CheaperThanDirt that the Bear .308 was backordered but then got another email that it had shipped yesterday, so whoever got a backorder notice may want to double check with them.

I just got my shipped notice as well, so I guess the backorder notice wasn't as bad as I thought.

Reloading for us here is about the same price as surplus ammo. The dealers don't sell much surplus rifle ammo because this is shotgun country. So, they don't order as much (making people jump at what they can get) and charge higher prices because they have to "hold on to it longer".

It's all BS. Thanks for the Ammo update though.

For those of you who have shot this ammo, Is it comparable to the South African in accuracy or is the South African still more accurate?

I just check the link and the price is now $6.97 a box! I guess they must have realized how much the rest of the competition was selling it for and switched or they mis-entered the price in the first place. Should've gotten some.....

flincher, how do you like that mas? i was looking hard at them awhile back. i still love the way that rifle looks! there's somethin about it, just like the fn49. just looks awesome!

good luck!

I've accumulated three of 'em in various conditions (each worse than the other) looking for one that'll function. All three are .308 conversions. All three will run with Silver Bear 140 grain SP or Wolf FMJ. "Guns & Ammo" had a "Surplus" magzine out this year and in an article about the MAS one person was mentioned whose rifle worked with steel cased Wolf, that's why I tried it. Thought I had a winner with Norinco .308, but I keep getting failures to extract with it. Using brass case ammo, I keep getting empties jammed in the chambers, all three guns. G&A sez "polish the chambers". Maybe later.

It was my wish for a sturdy semi-auto .308 that has driven me past the Remingtons (740, 7400) and Winchester 100s to the MAS and now to the Saiga, which is begining to look like a good resolution for me. Got a B-Square AK mount which seems solid, doesn't wiggle and keeps close to the bore. Groups from open sights are encouraging.

I like the peep and post on the MAS, but it's coarse and so far (just got the Silver Bear about a month ago) I've just been able to shoot groups at 25 and 50 yards. Need a quiet day at the range to really set up enough targets at 100 to put two kinds of ammo through three rifles... logistics get complicated and I'm too old for lots of trips to the target.

What I wanted was a carbine length semi-auto .308 with 10 round or greater magazines, and that pretty much defines the the converted MAS. Don't like the grenade launcher attachments, worry they'll mess with the barrel vibrations, but haven't seen enough accuracy from the bench to tell. Got one scope mount and will mate it to the best shooting MAS. Tried swapping the scope/mount around to get on paper at 100 with all three rifles and just ran out of time last Sunday. Based on my mediocre 50 yard iron sight performances, this may be a 100 yard and under red dot special.

Tried a Tanker Garand in .308 but it wouldn't shoot for me, was too heavy for close in work and far too inaccurate for distance. Don't want to sink as much into an M1A1 as is being asked. I'm skipping the AR 10 because of cost.

I find the MAS handy, not too heavy, quick to change magazines and quick on target. Maybe with Silver Bear softpoints it'll make a good hog rifle. Recoil is soft, as with the Saiga. Both triggers are soft and have a lot of take-up, but they're manageable for me.

damn looks like they finally caught on!

oh well i was going to order some more b/c everybody i know wants some now.

i shot a box today after work. simple functionality check along with simple accuracy and expansion check.

the corelokt 150gr rounds only penetrated about 6 inches into the wet news media last testing i did.

well i figured about 8 inches of media would do for these 140gr silver bears. WRONG!

and my little wet news media frame found out the hard way. the round ripped through the 8 inches of media and clear through the 2 inch thick wooden backing of my frame.

all i saw after the massive muzzle blast was wood shrapnel everywhere.

ok thats all the "new" media i had but i did have a stack from last testing i did so i added that to it up to about 24 inches to make sure it didn't exit.

this posed a major problem on top of another problem. the used media was contaminated with pea gravels from being stacked up on the ground and also alot of sand and other crap.

the rounds penetrated about 10-12 inches but were seriously affected by the gravel and other contaminates. the core seems to be bonded to the jacket good. no separation. it did mushroom out really good but was affected by the contaminates.

other problem i had was i was shooting on a serious downward angle so the rounds were expanded on a serious angle kinda throwing off the whole mushroom effect.

my solution is going to be this weekend i'm going to set up some fresh new media on a level plane and get some serious expansion results like the ones from my PMP and CORE-LOKT testing.

after shooting into the wet media i decided to try at a target for accuracy but i didn't have access to a rest b/c nobody was home and the shop was locked up. (i do all my shooting on my dad's land).

so from a shakey picnic table propped up on my hardshell gun case i pinched off the first shot. dead on the bullseye. i noticed before that when i was shooting into the test media that the rounds were hitting directly where i was aiming them. some of them into the same hole actually.

i thought well what luck so i went back up to my shitty excuse for a rest and popped another round off. about 1/2 and inch higher but directly above the first shot. damn! by this time it was getting pretty dark so i had to shut it down but thats all i wanted to shoot because i'm going to completely redo it all this weekend.

but i assure you i will have my rest in place and ready. plenty of fresh targets and fresh test media. i even need to bring the wife along and get her to snap up some pics too.

2 things i will take from this session is that these rounds are pretty accurate and have good deep penetration (compared to others tested).

i won't bet on any expansion results or precise accuracy until i can redo the test this weekend.

that way all bugs will be worked out, nothing to lay blame on or excuses to make.

i'll post all results along with any pictures as soon as i can get back to my computer this weekend.

good luck!

post-987-1161748749_thumb.jpgi honestly do believe that it was a pricing error.

like the last time i got some fresh pmc 30/06 fmj for .78 cents a box. was supposed to be $7.80 a box.

oops! decimal in the wrong spot!

but they went in a changed that the same night that i placed my order.

too bad i didn't have anymore money at the time! i would have stocked up on that crap! just like i did with this 308. i learned from my mistake! always have something to fall back on when unexpected deals pop up out of nowhere!

surprised they let this go for so long.