for all my 308 brothers, get it while its cheap!!!!

no problem guys!

i try to keep everybody that i know posted on any thing like this.

i remember a bunch of ya'll talking about how expensive soft point 308 was.

well, at this price you have some damn good soft point hunting ammo and it's cheap enough to plink with if thats your fancy.

i plink more than hunt, but if i ever did want to hunt with my 308, i'm there already!

i'm doing my testing of this round and a few others tomorrow. i'll post my feedback tomorrow night hopefully if not sunday.

i'll try to get some pics for ya'll too.

good luck!

BACK IN STOCK GUYS! BACK IN STOCK!

THOSE THAT MISSED THE SHIP THE FIRST TIME BETTER JUMP ON THIS FAST!

JUST GOT ME ANOTHER ROUND OF EM! (actually i have alot of guys local that wanted me to get them some and i wasn't going to sell them any of my stash. that might have to last me awhile.)

GOOD LUCK!

I thought I'd let you guys know that this sale is only online, went to CTD's store today to get some and it was around 9 bucks per 20 in the store. came back home and bought a few hundred rounds.

Edited by Genocide

ok did my testing.

penetration was about 14 inches give or take half an inch.

the expanded bullets measure about 18mm. so they expanded from 7.62 to 18. pretty damn good!

post-987-1162091877_thumb.jpg

post-987-1162091921_thumb.jpg

try some golden bear 62gr hollow points just for the hell of it. they fragmented nicely. penetration was only about 6-7 inches.

shot a few targets but the rifle rest was not as good as i would have liked. rifle had to be repositioned after each shot so i think the groups aren't really too bad considering. especially for 50 yards with open iron sights.

post-987-1162091957_thumb.jpg

post-987-1162092448_thumb.jpg

in conclusion i believe that the ammo did very well. penetration and expansion was great!

accuracy could have been better with a higher end vise and definately a scope. i bet you could get the groups down to under 1 inch if you had a scope mounted well.

actually, for the price, this ammo is the best deal right now. period.

hope this helps ya'll in anyway possible.

good luck guys!

JUST FYI GUYS INCASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW ALREADY, THE SMALL SQUARES ON THE TARGETS ARE 1/2 INCH

Edited by TWGLADF
shot a few targets but the rifle rest was not as good as i would have liked. rifle had to be repositioned after each shot so i think the groups aren't really too bad considering. especially for 50 yards with open iron sights.

I plan to head to the range this morning and fire a few rounds of this stuff, just to see how it behaves in my rifle. I've only tried the Winchester SuperX in it so far, as it's the only 308 I could find locally for under $0.50 per round. It grouped really nicely for me, just using my left elbow on a bench as a rest.

I'll see if the range will let me use their rifle rest so I can eliminate as much of me as possible.

I plan to head to the range this morning and fire a few rounds of this stuff, just to see how it behaves in my rifle. I've only tried the Winchester SuperX in it so far, as it's the only 308 I could find locally for under $0.50 per round. It grouped really nicely for me, just using my left elbow on a bench as a rest.

I'll see if the range will let me use their rifle rest so I can eliminate as much of me as possible.

Mine came yesterday - looks good.

Edited by 24kshooter
laz, let us know how it does for you buddy.

maybe your rest will be better than mine.

The following groups are each 8-round groups from 30-yards on a decent rest, but I still had to readjust slightly for each shot.

I was trying to zero the Williams peep sight, but the elevation screw desparately needs loctite.

slvrbr1.jpg

slvrbr2.jpg

slvrbr3.jpg

slvrbr4.jpg

slvrbr5.jpg

I wanted to go out to 50 yards, but those targets blurred too badly for me at the indoor range, and the groups opened up to about 3 inches. Not the rifle's or ammo's fault. I blame the lighting and those crappy safety glasses. I could see fine when I took 'em off, but I had to follow range rules.

I still do a lot better with my WWII SA Garand, but I don't want to shoot my jewel every day.

All in all, it's not bad. I think I could do better with a scope and a better rest. But this is what I have and it's what I'm gonna work with.

Edited by lazlong

akmike

no prob bro!

make sure you let us know how well it does for you.

i just read another post that claimed that the silver bear was shooting all over the place for them.

guess that rifle doesn't like that ammo.

i'm waiting for a reply from CTD right now on my order that i placed last friday that has not shipped yet and the link is showing NO LONGER AVAILABLE, not backordered.

when i placed my order it was still instock friday evening.

hope they get it sent out to me b/c i've already got alot of guys i work with wanting a ton of it and they ain't gettin none of my stash!

good luck!

laz, hope they honor that amount when they go to ship your 500. they should.

deadeye, they may give you a discount but it sure ain't gonna bring it down to $3.19 a box.

akmike, let us know how it does for you this weekend especially out of that 21 inch barrel. one thing though. wheres the silver bear in the pic?? would have looked cooler with the shiny zinc casings!

snake, i've been tryin man but some of ya'll have been hard to sell. i'll let ya'll know about anything else that may come about.

glad to help out my fellow shooting brothers!

good luck!

after talking to alot of 308 guys out there they are tired of all the high priced "commercial" 308 ammo especially soft point.

well, i got more than i'll shoot in a years time or longer, so i'll pass on the info to all.

this is the cheapest you'll ever get "commercial" 308 ammo in a soft point bullet.

not to mention that the "bear" ammo is outstanding!

i'll try to test them for expansion this week or weekend and post pics for ya'll to see.

they were johnny on the spot with the shipping. i ordered on the 19th, got the packages on the 21st.

good luck to all! get it while its still so cheap!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM690-3247-123.html

Too bad I missed out on this... :cryss:

I finally got to shoot my Saiga .308 this past weekend. There were so many muzzleloaders there that I could not get a bench. So all my shooting was from a standing position. I had 20 rounds of South African 7.62 X 51 FMJ and 20 rounds of Silver Bear .308 WIN softpoints. I was a little concerned about the recoil because I have never fired a .308 before.

I usually don't shoot at targets at this range. I just pick out rocks on the hill behind the 100 yards marker. I try to pick rocks about 6 inches in diameter. The Saiga did not have a scope either...just open sights. The first tentative shot brought a huge smile to my face. The recoil seemed to be less than an AK firing 7.62 X 39 ammo. The rock that I had picked out also decided to split *smile* when the 7.62 X 51 round hit it. I was able to hit the chosen target about 3 out of every 4 rounds. I then loaded up the Silver Bear and gave them a try. The recoil was a little more pronounced but not bad at all. The accuracy was even a little better. I never even had to touch the sights either.

I didn't experience one problem with the Saiga .308. It ran like a true AK but with a heck of a lot of authority and totally reliable. My plans are to put a scope on this rifle and use it as a cheap (inexpensive) sniper rifle. I think this rifle will easily shoot 2 MOA or better after I get it scoped.

• 4 months later...

only problem ive had with silver bear ammo is every 10-20rnds it didnt eject the shell all the way out and that's with 308 and 7.62x 39

ive had problems with both types but its more like hit and miss ive went to the range and not had a problem .SB is about all ive ever really used

but i was wandering if any of you can tell a differance in accuracy when u use a high priced ammo? does it really make a differance?and in the 308 is ther a better grain to use that seem more accurate?

Edited by Cryptkeeper

save five rounds off the top of the mag next time, and hand it off to the other guy right next to you to try...

the saiga thing is very unknown. the medium action sagias right now, are "nonexistant". meaning, nobody ever seen one like it. let them shoot the bugger, at least twice.

CONVERT THEM.

crypt keeper : it may not be the BEST ammo, but if you shoot a lot of different ammo loadings, you will find ONE that your GUN likes. they are finicky, whiney, bitches like that.

most guns will like a particular bullet/powder, but only the one will shoot it best. this is why you see a lot of guys buying different ammo, and ONE lot that they like, and then later selling the lot for a profit.