Factory S12s...

There is no difference at all, they are exactly the same :)

Does the 19" not require more gas to cycle?

At what barrel length does one have to open up the ports?

i had my 22" barrel cut down to 18.25" and it required a 4th hole to be added (as per tony at tromix -- he says that's how the factory shorter barrels are rigged).

Usually, the 19" guns have 4ea .073" ports and the 22" guns have 3ea .073" ports. But, that isn't always the case. I have seen a few 22" guns with four ports and 19" guns with only 3 ports.

There are also two different drill patterns on the three port guns, diamond and triangular. Some are in a triangle centered in the gas block hole. This prevents you from being able to add a fourth hole, and all you can do is open them up. Others have the four port diamond pattern, but only three points of the diamond are actually drilled. Those you can just add the fourth port.

Tony

Edited by TonyRumore

Are the gas tubes the same diameter as the AK's. If so, would replacing the tube with a US made component count as one part to 922 compliance? I would like to change out the gas tube and replace it with an UltiMAK optic mount but I am not sure about the dimensions. If it could be swapped, it would make it easy to install fold down sights, a scope, or pretty much anything that could be attached using the rails.

The link takes you to the tube replacment: UltMAK "AK "scout" mount Model M1-B