If you can only have one SAIGA

I'm buying my first Saiga (which will be my first centerfire rifle to own-I've borrowed my father's for years).

Since this will be my only centerfire rifle, which Saiga do you recommend? I'll be using it for general purpose- hunting deer, plinking, home defense, etc., since my only other firearms are a .22 rifle and a .32 revolver I inherited. I'm fairly large (6'5", 220) and I grew up around guns. What do you think?

Thank you,

David

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should grab up a 7.62X39 ASAP, while you still can! There's a lot of controversy over which bbl is best, I favor the longer of the two - in a synthetic! I was shooting this weekend with a guy who had a lever action 30-30, it sounded idenctical! up to 100 yrds (with wolf rounds) I can get 2" groups! I ounce bought match grade ammo and could reach out to 150-175 and kill those nasty beer bottles without much problem.

I'm not a hunter, as of yet, but the game I've spotted so far has been within range, and I think it would've been dead were I to shoot at it. I'm not sure about the elk though! they get pretty large 'round these parts. In most of the mountainous areas that I plink at (between the hills and valleys) 150 yds is probably the most I would encounter deer at. and have so far.

Besides, wolf ammo is $2.00 abox (20rnds), and normally buy 200 a pop, when I don't buy the case (1000 rnds) for $80.

this is all without saying that it's fun as hell to shoot!!!!!!!! pistol grip or no!

just my opinion.

I just ordered a Saiga 20" 7.69 x 39 from Gilberts Guns, sorry they only had one. :rolleyes: I can't wait to get it here and convert it, I also have a PSOP 4x scope on they way as well, might as well stick to Russian. This is going to be my RPK-lite gun........................................................................Taipa

n

Ive been looking at those PSOP 4X scopes real hard :chris: how much was yours?

let me know how you like it! I think it's perfect for the 7.62X39. The range finder looks intriguing, and the bullet drop compensator........some of them have lit reticules (however you phrase that).

the 6X looks cool too, I'm thinking about that for when I might get the .308 also!

any input would be appreciated!

yeh, my vote is for the 12 gauge saiga actually....BUT......if i HAD to pick only one of those, it would be a 7.62x39mm Saiga. cheap as hell to shoot, lots of bang, reasonably accurate, and they are simple to maintain...but like i said, my first choice would be the saiga 12. im a big guy myself, and its one of the more comfortable guns ive ever shot.

Edited by Bvamp
12ga!

Funny thing-Lots of folks rec the 12 gauge- I should have mentioned that the rifle purchase will be part of a shopping spree in the coming months that will include a 12 gauge.

Another funny thing- last night I kept leaning away from my original choice of 7.62 (cheap to shoot, easy to maintain) to towards the .308 (not as cheap to shoot as 7.62x39, but military surplus still available and I would only have to buy one kind of ammo when I add a bolt action to the collection).

Anyway, I'm enjoying everyone's input and will keep monitoring your advice.

Thank you,

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Since I apparently can have only one Saiga - the one I've got already - I go with the 7.62x39 crowd. Had it for years, got it dirt cheap, and LOVE it. Can't hardly go wrong with one of these. Ammo has gone up quite a bit, but is still cheap compared with a lot of other calibers...

My S308 drives tacks and is a fine MBR/DMR

Saiga-DMR.jpg

but the rifle I would grab to walk into the night and never return would be my 7.62x39 Saiga M3

Saiga-Tantal.jpg

It won't be long legged like the 308 but it is the proven choice for guerrilla warfare and brutal conditions and I trust it beyond all other weapons to get the job done.

Definitely .223.

Why? First, if there is a ban on importing "military ammo" calibers like 5.45 and 7.62x39, they with be VERY expensive to reload. The .223 brass is still fairly cheap (I am stockpiling it), dies are cheap, and bullets are cheap.

Secondly, the 223 Saiga is phenomenally accurate compared to most other (non-Saiga) AKs. My converted 16" .223 is sub 2 MOA with iron sights with Barnaul.

Logistically, WSHTF, there will always be .556 and 223 ammo in the US.

Don't get me wrong. I love the 7.62x39. I wish I could afford another AK, as I would get one in 7.62. I had to make a choice, so I went with the .223.

Saiga1.jpg

Edited by imarangemaster

The .308. Sure, it's ammo is more expensive, and there isn't as much Mil-Surp laying around.

But think about it, the 7.62x39 has:

1. Shorter Range

2. Less stopping power AND penetration

3. A whole lot of it is corrosive.

The .308 has:

1. Price

Then the big factor I find between the two: .308 owners are more eager to post their groupings than 7.62x39 owners. :cryss:

This is coming from a 7.62x39 owner.

Go with the 7.62x39 for all the above reasons................I own two!

The AK was never made to be a tact driver! If you want something with great groupings.......Then get a bolt action!

Edited by eadodd