What's an action job???

I want to get the trigger pull on my Sig smoother, shorter, and lighter. Darn near every gunsmith offers "action jobs," but none of them say what it is! Would that be what I'm looking for?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also, can anyone recommend a good gunsmith to work on Sigs?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe you've gone this long without a response!

An "action job" is usually the label referring to whatever tuning is necessary to give the desired reliability, repeatability and accuracy desired in a firearm.

Generally, one might specify lightening and smoothing the double action trigger pull, having the single action trigger a sharp break at, maybe, 3 to 5 pounds, throating the barrel for reliable feeding of hollowpoints, etc.

Refinishing, polishing the exterior of the gun, rounding off projections and sharp edges, would be considered work outside of an "action job"; but polishing the interior moving parts and whatever they rubbed against would be included.

Instead of ordering just an "action job", any decent gunsmith will want to discuss specifics with you.

I can't believe you've gone this long without a response!

An "action job" is usually the label referring to whatever tuning is necessary to give the desired reliability, repeatability and accuracy desired in a firearm.

Generally, one might specify lightening and smoothing the double action trigger pull, having the single action trigger a sharp break at, maybe, 3 to 5 pounds, throating the barrel for reliable feeding of hollowpoints, etc.

Refinishing, polishing the exterior of the gun, rounding off projections and sharp edges, would be considered work outside of an "action job"; but polishing the interior moving parts and whatever they rubbed against would be included.

Instead of ordering just an "action job", any decent gunsmith will want to discuss specifics with you.

Woohoo! A reply!!! :super:

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll do some more research and contact whichever gunsmith I choose to see what their idea of an action job might entail. At least now I have a basis with which to judge their response.

• 4 months later...
I want to get the trigger pull on my Sig smoother, shorter, and lighter. Darn near every gunsmith offers "action jobs," but none of them say what it is! Would that be what I'm looking for?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also, can anyone recommend a good gunsmith to work on Sigs?

The first thing you gotta do is ask yourself what you want? You want smoother, shorter, and lighter? That's expensive. Go to Sigforum.com and look up Bruce Gray. He is legendary with the Sigs!

If you can live with lighter and smoother, get a mainspring calibration kit from gunsprings.com, detail strip your pistol, and polish (NOT REMOVE METAL) from the contact points in the action. Finish with a TOTAL degreasing of the pistol, and reassemble with Tetra.

This is what I have done to my 5 Sigs. They are 100% reliable, and I love shooting them. YMMV

I hereby disclaim any responsibility for whatever idiot mistakes anybody may make from following my simple instructions! :rolleyes:

Edited by czgunner