Saiga .308 range report...

I finally got to shoot my Saiga .308 this past weekend. There were so many muzzleloaders there that I could not get a bench. So all my shooting was from a standing position. I had 20 rounds of South African 7.62 X 51 FMJ and 20 rounds of Silver Bear .308 WIN softpoints. I was a little concerned about the recoil because I have never fired a .308 before.

I usually don't shoot at targets at this range. I just pick out rocks on the hill behind the 100 yards marker. I try to pick rocks about 6 inches in diameter. The Saiga did not have a scope either...just open sights. The first tentative shot brought a huge smile to my face. The recoil seemed to be less than an AK firing 7.62 X 39 ammo. The rock that I had picked out also decided to split *smile* when the 7.62 X 51 round hit it. I was able to hit the chosen target about 3 out of every 4 rounds. I then loaded up the Silver Bear and gave them a try. The recoil was a little more pronounced but not bad at all. The accuracy was even a little better. I never even had to touch the sights either.

I didn't experience one problem with the Saiga .308. It ran like a true AK but with a heck of a lot of authority and totally reliable. My plans are to put a scope on this rifle and use it as a cheap (inexpensive) sniper rifle. I think this rifle will easily shoot 2 MOA or better after I get it scoped.