Cracks in the bolt carrier....Is this normal on S12's?

So I bought a S12 about 4 months ago, and when it arrived, I took it out of the box, looked it over, but not in any great detail, and took it out and ran a box of 2 3/4 shells though it, and put it back in the box where is sat untouched for 4 months until today. I was going to start a conversion on it so I started to field strip it and I notice these little cracks in the end of the bolt carrier where the gas piston screws into the carrier. Now I have built a lot of AKs and have seen new and well used carriers and have never seen cracks like these before. Had anyone else noticed cracks like these in thier S12 carrier? Are they normal or should I contact RAA?

UPDATE!!!!

So I sent my gun in on Monday, they received it on Thursday and shipped a brand new one out to me the same day! Just 8 days total turn around time! I just got it today and they included an extra mag for my troubles! They even paid for all the shipping both ways! You can't beat that kind of service. RAAC customer service is top notch!

crackedcarrier2.jpg

crackedcarrier1.jpg

Edited by lonerunner1

I don't think is normal for any S-12 or AK. Looks like a brittle metal problem that will only get worse with time. I'd give RAA a call and have them send you another carrier of you only have that little use from that one. I haven't heard their reputation for service yet, but you could test it out!

So I bought a S12 about 4 months ago, and when it arrived, I took it out of the box, looked it over, but not in any great detail, and took it out and ran a box of 2 3/4 shells though it, and put it back in the box where is sat untouched for 4 months until today. I was going to start a conversion on it so I started to field strip it and I notice these little cracks in the end of the bolt carrier where the gas piston screws into the carrier. Now I have built a lot of AKs and have seen new and well used carriers and have never seen cracks like these before. Had anyone else noticed cracks like these in thier S12 carrier? Are they normal or should I contact RAA?

crackedcarrier2.jpg

crackedcarrier1.jpg

My 2001 import has those very same cracks for a year or two now. I probably have a thousand or so rounds through mine by now (counting all the 3-gun matches) and the cracks have not enlarged. I do have a spare bolt (thanks, to one of the good members of this board) waiting to replace the one with the cracks.

UPDATE.........

I got ahold of RAAC today. I talked with Clyde over there and he told me to ship the whole thing back to them and they would either replace the bolt carrier or more than likely just send me a new gun. They even paid for the shipping! I am already impressed with thier customer service. I'll post back with more when I here from them.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!!

So I sent my gun in on Monday, they received it on Thursday and shipped a brand new one out to me the same day! Just 8 days total turn around time! I just got it today and they included an extra mag for my troubles! They even paid for all the shipping both ways! You can't beat that kind of service. RAAC customer service is top notch!

Edited by lonerunner1