I was still too young to have much interest in guns when the last AWB was passed, and it lifted about the same time I started collecting weapons. What can we expect if there's another AWB? Is it trying to infringe on what we already have, or instead on what can be manufactured/sold? Specifically, please advise on the following:

1) As long as we have the weapon already, can we convert them (saiga sporter->PG)?

2) What constitutes a "high-cap mag" for a pistol, rifle, shotgun?

3) As long as we have the magazines, are we allowed to use them? Or could that be breaking a law?

4) If we have a weapon that is imported with PG (HK G3, PTR-91, CETME), can we swap out the grips, stocks and forends during a AWB?

I really want a G3-clone, so I'll go ahead and purchase one if I won't be able to get it once another ban goes into effect. But I really don't have the money at the moment, so I'd like to wait. Will they be available during another AWB? Should I go ahead and get the magazines now (I'm assuming 20rnd mags are highcap) and hope I can get the gun at a later date in the midst of an AWB?

Thanks for any advice y'all can offer.

It was quite a mess when it first passed. First the ATF "ruled" that it was not legal to install magazines over 10rd in a post ban rifle. Later, they changed their position and said it was OK. Most guys thought at the time that if their gun (receiver) had been manufactured prior to the ban date, then they had a "pre-ban" gun and could do whatever they wanted to it. The ATF position was that the gun had to be in a fireable "assault weapon" configuration prior to the ban, or it was not a pre-ban assault weapon. So a bunch of gray area receivers were floating around, where the manufacturer had them documented as being manufactured prior to the ban, but they may not have been shipped prior to the ban, or may have been in transit, never built up, etc.

Actually the ATF never used the term pre or post. It was either an assault weapon, or it was not.

So, if you have a stock "sporter" Saiga, you would want to get it into a fireable assault weapon configuration before a similar "ban". The easiest way to do that, would be to pull off the buttstock, replace the fire control components with U.S. items and add a pistol grip. You would not necesarily need a trigger guard, buttstock, forend, etc. as long as you could fire it in a non-sporting configuration.

I'm not even going to dive into the U.S. mag 3 parts count deal. That will be a mess. Just remember, the ATF will always rule against you, so if you think just sticking a US made mag in your gun will make it a pre-ban, try again.

With all that said, I seriously doubt any new ban will be exactly like the 1994 ban, so all the above drivel is just that.

I believe they'll try to make as broad a sweep as they can get away with.

I don't think they can get away with taking what we already have, but I believe they will if they can.

The Constitution has been trampled repeatedly by politicians on both sides of the party lines.

We have the right to free speech, but watch you'd better watch what you say.

We have the right to keep and bear arms, but only certain people, with certain licenses can own certain arms in certain configurations.

We have the right to be secure in our homes and our effects, but if you've said the wrong thing to the wrong person, certain authorities will come and secure your person and effects even further than they were secured under your own supervision.

The bottom line is that you should get 'em as soon as you can, because you never know when they're gonna be outlawed.

And once you have them, STFU about it.

Don't brag about what you have, and support the fight to protect you'r rights at the STATE level. The new congress will have other fish to fry - I see the erosion of ou'r rights at the state level as the biggest danger. ESPECIALLY here in the embattled state of maryland.

1) As long as we have the weapon already, can we convert them (saiga sporter->PG)?

2) What constitutes a "high-cap mag" for a pistol, rifle, shotgun?

3) As long as we have the magazines, are we allowed to use them? Or could that be breaking a law?

4) If we have a weapon that is imported with PG (HK G3, PTR-91, CETME), can we swap out the grips, stocks and forends during a AWB?

To the best of my knowledge, IF the ban was the same as it was before:

1) No. If you have a gun, then wait until the ban goes into effect, then convert it, you would be manufacturing an "assault weapon", which is what the ban is all about.

2) More than 10 rounds for a detachable mag for rifle or pistol; more than 5 rounds for a fixed mag on a shotgun; any detachable mag on a shotgun. Keep in mind, it was for semi-auto guns only.

3) If they were made before the ban, you were good.

4) Uh, you've compared apples to giraffe testicles here. A G3 is full auto, which has nothing to do with a semi-auto "assault weapon" ban, a PTR-91 is an American-made gun, and a CETME-- well that is probably the most relavant gun for your question. If it had "assault weapon" features before the ban, you could swap out/interchange "assault features" at your discretion, as long as you didn't change the class of the gun (i.e. make the barrel too short or make it full auto).

4) Uh, you've compared apples to giraffe testicles here. A G3 is full auto, which has nothing to do with a semi-auto "assault weapon" ban, a PTR-91 is an American-made gun, and a CETME-- well that is probably the most relavant gun for your question. If it had "assault weapon" features before the ban, you could swap out/interchange "assault features" at your discretion, as long as you didn't change the class of the gun (i.e. make the barrel too short or make it full auto).

ROFLMAO...

Hrm, didn't mean to bring giraffe balls into the picture, sorry about that. But you figured it out, and answered all my questions. Thanks a ton!!!