.308 shorty

"Does that qualify as a pistol or rifle?"

Could be registered either way, I believe. Of course, you would have to leave the stock off for a pistol.

"I've had the hair singed on my left hand to prove it as well".... Yeah it throws quite the fireball.

Did it start off as a complete rifle before the conversion or as a stripped receiver? The reason is if it started off as a stripped receiver then you can make it into a pistol or a rifle. (One that hasn't been made into a rifle or registered as such) Othersise you might be in big trouble. Federal law says that you can make a pistol into a rifle. Example is the Master Blaster. It uses a AR type lower receiver to make a silhouetta Metallica pistol. Its mag fed but not gas operated. You used the charging handle to load a round and unload the empty. A club member won that from American Handgunner. Severl years later, he converted that to a rifle and re registerd as such.

Don't get me wrong. Your creation is cool looking and is probably fun to shoot. If you have the proper license to do the conversion then its cool.

Glad to hear that its all good. I am not in a class 3 state so not short barreled rifles, or full auto. We still have a 10rd limit on pistol mags or mags that can fit into a pistol. Also a "assault pistol" ban that took effect in '92. That short barreled rifle must be really loud and blasty. I thought my 18" barreled 308 Saiga was. I'll post some pics after it gets a flash suppressor.