Scout mount options?

ACR2PageLogo.jpg

Can the ultimak be used on a saiga? I cant see why not......

www.ultimak.com

Bossman

Looks like you could use the irons with the ultimak.....no I dont work for them....

\but I just couldnt help myself..I love this pic.....I wonder what she did with the cleaning rod?????

lori-2391-AK.jpg

Edited by Bossman

Ok first hand experiance with the ACR rail and upper gas tube rail.On my rifle it put too much pressure on the barrel.I went from a 5" group to 3" once the ACR and gas tube rails were replaced with the standard hand guards and gas tube.Now this will not be true with all rifles,I have been told of similar experiances.

I'm not a big fan of the ultimak - heard way too many problems with them. They do look cool though.

Have you considered a Kobra site? Is pretty well reported - I shot a Vepr with one recently - liked it. Probably the best side-rail option for the AK.

Side rail isn't an option. This is gonna be a "Cooper Scout" version of the .308 Saiga.

7.jpg

So how does the eye relief work on this? they say they're using a 2-6x scope. Do you need a special type of eye relief scope?

Most people that I've seen with rear sight mounts(K98 & SKS) use pistol scopes with high eye relief.

Ok first hand experiance with the ACR rail and upper gas tube rail.On my rifle it put too much pressure on the barrel.I went from a 5" group to 3" once the ACR and gas tube rails were replaced with the standard hand guards and gas tube.Now this will not be true with all rifles,I have been told of similar experiances.

OK, I give. What does ACR stand for?

I don't understand how the gastube mount would put pressure on the barrel, can you elaborate?

Also, which Ultimak mount fit the 308? Can you give me a link or maybe a part #?

BUMPED to get TEXASAK73's attention.

I don't understand how the gastube mount would put pressure on the barrel, can you elaborate?

Also, which Ultimak mount fit the 308? Can you give me a link or maybe a part #?

Not sure what ACR means but it is the lower three rail mount for the AK rifles.The Ultimak upper gas tube rail uses a horse shoe type clamp to mount the rail tube.The ACR uses a two part clamp set up with hex head screws.These mount just behind the gas chamber.I believe this was disturbing the harmonics of the barrel by adding pressure to the barrel.With these off my groups were much tighter and consistant,with them on my groups were large and random.

I contacted Ultimak awhile back asking if they had one for the S-308 they told me no and had no plans for making one,They do have an upper gas tube for the Vepr 308 which might work.

http://www.ultimak.com/M3-B.htm vepr link

Not sure what ACR means but it is the lower three rail mount for the AK rifles.The Ultimak upper gas tube rail uses a horse shoe type clamp to mount the rail tube.The ACR uses a two part clamp set up with hex head screws.These mount just behind the gas chamber.I believe this was disturbing the harmonics of the barrel by adding pressure to the barrel.With these off my groups were much tighter and consistant,with them on my groups were large and random.

I contacted Ultimak awhile back asking if they had one for the S-308 they told me no and had no plans for making one,They do have an upper gas tube for the Vepr 308 which might work.

http://www.ultimak.com/M3-B.htm vepr link

So what rifle did you have the upper gas tube rail mounted on? I thought you meant you had one mounted on your Saiga .308?

I could have sworn I saw a picture of an Ultimak upper rail mounted on a .308 here in the forums? Is it just my imagination or has someone done it?

I'm all about a scout rifle. When I bought my S308 16", it was with plans to use the Ultimak mount but was told the same thing, "no can do". So I got one of those rear sight mounts, but still not installed it. Now that the 20s ore here I'll be more motivated to finish it, all that's left is the mount and muzzle device.

I have one of those scout scope mounts. Major PITA to install as you have to remove the rear sight. Holds zero when you remove the optic/rail. Built in rear sight POA is close to POI. I tested it by putting on my EOtech, firing 10 rounds, remove and reinstall optic/rail, fire 10 rounds etc. I did this for 100 rounds of .223, same POI/POA for all at 100yds. Don't know how this mount would hold up to .308. Fast USPS shipping!

Pros: compact, doesn't interfere with side folders. holds zero when optic/rail removed. has a built in rear sight for use when optic/rail is removed. Works!

Cons: PITA to install. vertical stringing when you don't Loc-Tight mounting screws (recomended by MFG). rail seems a little short EOtech N cell take up the whole thing.

I would recommend this optics mount, especially if you follow the included directions. They were very complete, I just didn't read them at first. :cryss:

Havoc

AKA Maxbeard

ACR2PageLogo.jpg

Can the ultimak be used on a saiga? I cant see why not......

www.ultimak.com

Bossman

Looks like you could use the irons with the ultimak.....no I dont work for them....

\but I just couldnt help myself..I love this pic.....I wonder what she did with the cleaning rod?????

lori-2391-AK.jpg

And who does her nails...<G>

Guido2 in Houston

I have one of those scout scope mounts. Major PITA to install as you have to remove the rear sight. Holds zero when you remove the optic/rail. Built in rear sight POA is close to POI. I tested it by putting on my EOtech, firing 10 rounds, remove and reinstall optic/rail, fire 10 rounds etc. I did this for 100 rounds of .223, same POI/POA for all at 100yds. Don't know how this mount would hold up to .308. Fast USPS shipping!

Pros: compact, doesn't interfere with side folders. holds zero when optic/rail removed. has a built in rear sight for use when optic/rail is removed. Works!

Cons: PITA to install. vertical stringing when you don't Loc-Tight mounting screws (recomended by MFG). rail seems a little short EOtech N cell take up the whole thing.

I would recommend this optics mount, especially if you follow the included directions. They were very complete, I just didn't read them at first. :cryss:

Havoc

AKA Maxbeard

Thanks, I'm going to buy one for my 7.62X39 pistol and maybe one for my AK-104. I appreciate you taking the time... thanks.

I emailed the manufacturer inregards to the scout rail about six months ago. They wrote back saying that they could make rails to what ever length I wanted. It would be a custom order, so there would be a price difference. They also said that they were not sure it would fit the S-308.

I emailed the manufacturer inregards to the scout rail about six months ago. They wrote back saying that they could make rails to what ever length I wanted. It would be a custom order, so there would be a price difference. They also said that they were not sure it would fit the S-308.

Thanks, that is definately one of the questions I had. The only drawback I saw to that Scount Mount attached to the rear sight block was that it was so short and was a little further back than I wanted. If they are able to extend it, then booooyaaaa! Although, if it were too much longer, it would probably interfere with the ability to field strip the gas tube eh? Maybe only if the removable rail piece was longer but not the original base...........hmmmmmmmmm

OK, another question. They said they were not sure it would fit the S-308. Since it mounts on the rear sight, does anyone know if the rear sight on a S-308 is identical to the one on a Saiga x39? Or a standard AK for that matter?

I tried it out on my .308, slipped right on. Decided to put the EOtech on the .223 instead. The mount seems to have about 1/16th inch adjustment built in to the set screws. Use a C-clamp to get the FN rear sight on/off, otherwise it may become a dangerous projectile.

Havoc