Sloppy gas piston.

I've found it to be normal. What I do is put the carrier in a vise or otherwise secure it upright, use some green threadlock (Permatex, green penatrating grade, it wicks in to the threads) and let it sit overnight. No more sloppiness. Whether or not it's likely that it will come loose, I don't like the idea of any play in that joint.

J

Is it normal for the gas piston to be sloppy in the carrier. It moves a little bit but doesn't turn because the crimp is there. Is this normal?

I've been looking for a fix for that issue on a 12 guage. It started after firing some slugs with the gas set on 2. Prior to that the joint was tight. I'm thinking that BVAMP posted that his S-12 did not cycle as reliably after he encountered this. I observed a decline in reliability as well. A big thanks for sharing! ,cs.

Edited by cscharlie

all regular ak's that i've come across in the past have had play in the piston.

i experienced what no play will do when i changed out the piston in my mak90.

it's weird though that the saigas have no play when new and they function properly.

see as the carrier comes back it has alot of slop. having the piston loose alows compensation for the sloppiness in the carrier travel.

when i installed the piston tight i was getting major blowby and powder gasses all in my face.

backed it out about 1 thread so it would pivot (it's pinned in). no more blowby or gas in my face.

as the carrier contacts the hammer it puts upward pressure on the carrier creating a sloppy movement.

allowing the piston to stay in it's position b/c of the "joint".

try cycling the carrier with the hammer in ready position.

then try cycling it with the trigger held and the hammer is held by the disconnector. this way the carrier never touches the hammer while passing over it.

there is a considerable difference in the way the carrier travels.

ALSO, I HAVE READ ABOUT HAVING THE PISTON TIGHT UP AGAINST THE CARRIER WITH NO SPACE CAN CAUSE THE CARRIER TO CRACK.

Edited by TWGLADF

Here's what I'm talking about.

post-1827-1164564211_thumb.jpg

Now, you have to think that doing this when the gun is brand new or still very clean will yeild the best results. I have only done this on my .410, and I still don't have a ton of rounds through it. I would think that if the threads are just slightly loose, this may be a good fix, but if there is quite a bit of play, I would tend to think that this would fail after a while. Especially with the 12.

J

Here's what I'm talking about.

post-1827-1164564211_thumb.jpg

Now, you have to think that doing this when the gun is brand new or still very clean will yeild the best results. I have only done this on my .410, and I still don't have a ton of rounds through it. I would think that if the threads are just slightly loose, this may be a good fix, but if there is quite a bit of play, I would tend to think that this would fail after a while. Especially with the 12.

J

I didn't realize that was a joint. I always wondered why it was threaded, but every time I've tried unscrewing it, it didn't budge, so I gave up. Thanks J!