What's the general consensus on the S&W Sigma?

I've been considering getting one after a Saiga; I've fired my uncle's .40, and love it. More ergonomic than the Glock and less expensive, with the same reliability. The trigger pull is nasty, but it's supposed to get better after several hundred rounds.

I've been considering getting one after a Saiga; I've fired my uncle's .40, and love it. More ergonomic than the Glock and less expensive, with the same reliability. The trigger pull is nasty, but it's supposed to get better after several hundred rounds.

I'd suggest going with a Glock for many reasons. Yes, the Sigma is very similar, but it's only a moderately successful imitation.

1) Glocks are tried and true. There's a reason they're the best selling pistol.

2) There's a HUGE aftermarket for Glock, so parts are cheap and available.

3) Every gunsmith in the world has worked on a Glock and will gladly do it again.

4) S&W is infamous for their autos breaking or otherwise being unreliable.

5) S&W got sued by Glock for patent infringment, so there may be a limited availability of parts as they would had to cease manufacturing until the Glock's patent expired.

I'm all about trying the "new best thing," especially if it's cheaper and naerly as good. But as good as a Glock? I doubt it. And I don't even like Glocks.

Have you considered the Springfield XD? That's a HELLUVA gun. You might also consider CZ, Sig Sauer(especially older models), and Steyr.

My list would look something like:

1) Springfield XD

2) Steyr M

3) Sig

4) CZ

98) Airsoft

99) S&W

100) Nerf

I'd suggest going with a Glock for many reasons. Yes, the Sigma is very similar, but it's only a moderately successful imitation.

1) Glocks are tried and true. There's a reason they're the best selling pistol.

2) There's a HUGE aftermarket for Glock, so parts are cheap and available.

3) Every gunsmith in the world has worked on a Glock and will gladly do it again.

4) S&W is infamous for their autos breaking or otherwise being unreliable.

5) S&W got sued by Glock for patent infringment, so there may be a limited availability of parts as they would had to cease manufacturing until the Glock's patent expired.

I'm all about trying the "new best thing," especially if it's cheaper and naerly as good. But as good as a Glock? I doubt it. And I don't even like Glocks.

Have you considered the Springfield XD? That's a HELLUVA gun. You might also consider CZ, Sig Sauer(especially older models), and Steyr.

My list would look something like:

1) Springfield XD

2) Steyr M

3) Sig

4) CZ

98) Airsoft

99) S&W

100) Nerf

Ditto the XD. The 45 ACP XD is the most awesome "real" pistol I've ever shot, bar none at any price.

A bit bulky for C/C, but otherwise just plain awesome. For less than $450 out the door, you'd be hard pressed to obtain more bang for 'yer buck (or more hard-hitting firepower...)

JMHO...

Guido2 in Houston

Ditto the XD. The 45 ACP XD is the most awesome "real" pistol I've ever shot, bar none at any price.

A bit bulky for C/C, but otherwise just plain awesome. For less than $450 out the door, you'd be hard pressed to obtain more bang for 'yer buck (or more hard-hitting firepower...)

JMHO...

Guido2 in Houston

There's also 9mm, .40, and .357 (my favorite caliber). And they make a compact and subcompact if you want to use it as a CCW. Both are equally as reliable as the full size, and more ergonomic than Glock's equivalents (IMO). Not to mention a factory ported model. Such a sweet little gun!

I think the XD is going to be the new Glock and will soon replace it as the most popular pistol.

I agree. The CZ pistols are underestimated on the US market but are big in Europe. The steyrs have an unusual cant to the grip and unique sights so make sure to pick one up first and make sure you like it. Also, what about the Smith M&P pistol? If you want a reliable pistol and don't like the Glock's PG countour, etc, the M&P and XD are excelent alternatives for the same price or less.

JMHO...

Guido2 in Houston

There's also 9mm, .40, and .357 (my favorite caliber). And they make a compact and subcompact if you want to use it as a CCW. Both are equally as reliable as the full size, and more ergonomic than Glock's equivalents (IMO). Not to mention a factory ported model. Such a sweet little gun!

I think the XD is going to be the new Glock and will soon replace it as the most popular pistol.

Just picked up a 4" 9mm XD for the wife, it's the only pistol she has ever "liked" to shoot. Maybe that will get her out to the range more...

The best,

Guido2 in Houston

Well, I like Glocks, but I'm on a bit of a budget here; $300 is the most I want to have to pay, although I'd be willing to maybe pay $350. The Steyr sight is supposed to be great for target acquisition, so it's definately an option, especially at the price.

I'll probably get reemed for suggesting it, but the Hi-Points are a helluva gun for the money. Lifetime no-questions guarantee, accurate, reliable, and <$150. They're not as good as a Steyr, but for the price it's tough to beat. The only other thing to even consider in that price range would be a Makarov. But they'd be old, no guarantee, shoot an odd sized round, etc.

It's rare, but I've seen:

XDs ~$350

Steyrs ~$250

Hi-Points ~$100

Those are the best valued pistols IMO. The Hi-point you won't love, but you'll love it for what you paid for it. The Steyr you'll either LOVE or hate depending on the way it fits you and how you like the sights. And the XD you'll love, but I don't think it's the same unconditional love that you'll have for a Steyr assuming it fits. My guess is, XD magazines are cheaper though, so that might be a consideration.

I'll probably get reemed for suggesting it, but the Hi-Points are a helluva gun for the money.

...And if you run out of ammo you can always throw it at em!

Sorry, it had to be said. In all honesty they do have a good reputation for being reliable. They just weigh a bunch and don't look as pretty ;)

Here's a review by Shooting Times...

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/

SThipoint_100605A.jpg

The Sigmas are okay, IMO, but the magazines are way too expensive!

Tried the Steyrs, love the sights, just cannot tolerate the safeties.

The Glocks are pretty good as are the XDs.

Glock magazines are the least expensive of the four kinds.

Glock accessories and holsters (I believe the Glocks, Sigmas and XDs should be carried with the triggers covered by the holster) are more widely available, but the XDs come new with holsters, a real plus, despite the cost of additional XD magazines.

You should be able to get into a used Sigma for $250, probably cheaper than any of the other guns you're considering.

Good luck with making your decision, but since you already know you like the feel of the Sigma, that has often made the difference for me when choosing a new gun.

look hard at an EAA WITNESS.

they have many calibers and many sizes and finishes to choose from.

all steel or poly.

i've owned 4. i would bet my life on them.

the most recent is the full size steel 45.

nice ergo grip for a 10 + 1 double stack 45.

i've owned a sigma. i like the witness 1000 times better.

i'm getting very soon the compact 45 8 + 1 rounds for my ccw.

one of the best things about em is that you can buy caliber conversion kits for about $200 and it's everything that you need to convert to another caliber. 9mm, 40, 45acp, 10mm, 38super, 22lr.

double/single action. 1911 style safety can carry cocked and locked or hammer down.

got my most recent for $265 new in box! the best deal for the most gun in my opinion.

did i mention that it will feed any ammo that you put in it without a hiccup!

Edited by TWGLADF
  • 6 months later...

Sigma is an ok gun...its not a glock, but I picked up a NIB sigma 9mm for half what I paid for my G17 and it has a slim grip compared to the g17....thus my GF loves the sigma and yes the trigger gets better.... It is all she shoots.... reliable and well made.....I think it is the best bang for your buck in 9 or 40

Jayak

I've fired a Sigma in 9mm for competion, considering it was my third time shooting pistols, I did alright, considering that horrible trigger, I did better. That said, I would buy one to keep in my car once I turn 21, but not for carry, to top heavy for me when it recoils.

I personally like all steel pistols anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a Sigma 9VE. I've found that on my first trip to the range that it eats every type of ammunition I feed it. I ran about two hundred rounds thrugh it. One thing I noticed was that it shot lower that its aim point. I had my Walther P-1 out with me and found that it is very much more accurate. There is not anything wrong with the sigma, after all its a $300 firearm. If I keep it, I'm going to update the sights to night sights.

Edited by BFT!
I'll probably get reemed for suggesting it, but the Hi-Points are a helluva gun for the money.

...And if you run out of ammo you can always throw it at em!

Sorry, it had to be said. In all honesty they do have a good reputation for being reliable. They just weigh a bunch and don't look as pretty ;)

Here's a review by Shooting Times...

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/

SThipoint_100605A.jpg

Fuck yeah, hight-points kick ass for how much they cost. My brother bought one for 150 OTD in .45ACP, took it to the range and put 300 rounds through it with only one failure, and thats only because I limp wrist'ed it.

Edited by Genocide

I have 2 Hi-Point pistols (C-9 & the JHP.45). They are rock solid, reliable, and cheap. But yes, they are "Planet of the Apes" ugly. I also have 3 XD's (2-XD-45's & a XD-40 sub compact). The XD's are hands down my favorite pistols out of 34 guns in the stable. One of my XD-45's has over 5000 rounds through and still running like new! I use it a lot in IDPA. The other 45 has over 1500 rounds through and does nightstand duty with a X2L light/laser combo hangin' underneath. The XD-40 SC is one of the most accurate and comfortable to shoot .40 caliber pistols I have ever shot-even with the short barrel! Even better than my H&K P2000. The XD-40SC has over 3500 rounds through with no malfs. Both HP's and the XD's are worth more than they cost IMO. But, the XD is the clear winner of all mentioned here so far. B)

Edited by badman400