Tromix 30'06 (pics)

3006RH.jpg

3006LH.jpg

3006close.jpg

3006Proto2.jpg

Here’s 28 simple steps to make your Saiga 100 30’06 look like a regular AK.

1. Weld in triangular receiver extensions at the rear of the receiver to mount the butt stock.

2. Weld a new top tang to the back of the receiver.

3. Weld up all the extra receiver holes including the cross bolt safety holes.

4. Cut a new R/H safety hole and slot. Drill L/H safety hole.

5. Weld in a safety over-travel stop.

6. Remove front magazine catch and weld in new front engagement shelf.

7. Install rear magazine catch with modified engagement lever.

8. Install modified trigger guard.

9. Cut G2 trigger off of its base and weld it back on, ½” rearward.

10. Weld up hand guard screw hole.

11. Modify G2 hammer by cutting it back for clearance around the receiver cross rivet.

12. Modify G2 hammer by turning down both bosses to .310” and machine to clear ejector.

13. Machine a groove in the scope rail to allow installation of PSL optic.

14. Weld and machine lower “V” groove in scope mount rearward ¾” for PSL mounting.

15. Modify lower hand guard to allow it to fit into the receiver at the rear.

16. Machine forward hand guard retainer.

17. Drill and tap barrel for hand guard retainer installation.

18. Press off sling swivel band.

19. Cut barrel back from 22” to 20”, machine for .308 sight tower, and thread 14mm.

20. Machine barrel cross slots and pin sight tower in place.

21. Recrown barrel.

22. Machine 14mm flash hider.

23. Weld in pistol grip hanger.

24. Drill disconector and trigger to install heavy duty spring.

25. Machine AK top cover ejection port rearward 3/8".

26. Machine lower handguard to clear rear sight base loop.

27. Blast and refinish.

28. Drink a beer.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Edited by TonyRumore
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it's possible. The Valmet Hunter in 30'06 was imported in the 80's. It's certainly possible that someone modified one of those into an AK clone, though I have never seen it done.

Tony

Funny, because I was looking at one last month, and wondered if anyone had the balls to attempt a conversion on one before.

I would just go with a 308 if you need a bunch of rounds.

This is a hunting rifle. One shot will suffice. ;-)

i know, i know.

it's just an aesthetic thing, y'know?

really though, you did a fantastic job.

it's too bad they butchered the receiver so much, it sort of leaves the conversion out of reach of mere mortals such as myself.

Very nice work! And I really appreciate that you posted the steps, though I think #28 goes without saying. In Oklahoma I believe you'll need to have at least two of them though. :haha:

I got rid of an Egyptian Maadi Misr-90 because I couldn't figure out how to mount a proper stock to it.

Now that I've seen this, I've slapped myself in the head for not thinking of welding in a triangular extension. I have the skills and equipment for it, but my overly complex mind didn't come up with the simple solution. Duh! :huh:

I've been wanting to visit Broken Arrow. I have a friend up there who's a shooter. A mighty fine gentleman I met in the middle of the Sahara desert.

I suppose it's possible. The Valmet Hunter in 30'06 was imported in the 80's. It's certainly possible that someone modified one of those into an AK clone, though I have never seen it done.

Tony

Nice work Tony!! but i hate the shitty safety lever on AK type rifles and my saiga 30-06 has a real one in it.I have been told that some folks are working on a bigger capt. mag for it.I can get by with four rounds!!

Edited by limaguppy

Wow, too cool for school! :super::super::super:

Never had my hands on one of the newer rifles, but I now see the light! Excellent work, the end product looks really nice!

I couldn't imagine what one of them puppies would cost. :eek: 300 Win Mag next or are you jumping straight to the 50 cal AK? :rolleyes:

Holy shit Tony!

W :eek: W...thats all I can get out right now...

Dinzag an AK 50 is nowhere near that hard to do, at least it doesn't look it. I have a friend who built one. It has a PG stock like the removable Russian ones for the Saiga, a 4' HEAVY bbl and a tank brake, optic, & tripod. It's got a screw in breech plug and is single shot. It's a monster but that 06 is a work of art!

Lazlong there is a much easier solution to mounting a regular wood AK stock on a Maadi but I'll not clog up any more of THEE MAN's thread with other stuff. I'll post some pics of mine in a different thread in the x39 section for anyone's interested.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=13258

My hat is off Tony, that thing kicks ass. :super:

• 3 months later...